Was Bobby Carpenter Being used as a Spy?

Reaction score
Late in the game when the Cowboyds were to nickel defense.. I think the was either dropping back from being in a down rush position or he was playing just below the LB's. I am going to rewatch the game but it appears that when he was in space he played much better when he was at SOLB. You get more action anyway when you can flow to ball vice "stand your man up and flow down the line of scrimmage anyway.

Regardless I was impressed and its about time. He had some nice closing speed on Vick but he might be playing out of position. He probably wouldn't be a bad SOLB in a 4-3.

Feedback???

Ken

Reaction score
Yeah, he was spying the whole game and played a very good ball game.

I was very happy with him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1239196 said:
Carpenter is finally showing some signs of life as a LB
I told you that you guys were writing him off way too soon.

Witten

Reaction score
Carp was lining up as a DT, engaging blocker then dropping back into Spy position. Nice way to use his speed and quickness.

morasp

Reaction score
Actually I thought we had a lot of production from the rookie class. Hatcher, Fasano, Carpenter, Watkins, Austin, Elam. Jimmy Johson used to say that at this part of the season their no longer rookies.

Reaction score
Witten;1239213 said:
Carp was lining up as a DT, engaging blocker then dropping back into Spy position. Nice way to use his speed and quickness.

Yeah I just rewatched it.. he was standing up splitting Ratliff and Hatcher in Nickel Defense and then dropping back as a spy. Nice way to utilize him Bill..

sago1

Reaction score
Don't forget to include Hurd who has turned into a good ST.

We'll have to wait until 07 to find out whether McQuistan can be a legit starting OT. Stanley has also improved (his stay with another team seems to have helped him) at least according to Parcells several weeks ago when we brought him back on to the team. Don't know if Whitely has a future with us or not since he on IR, but he'll be finished with his rehab and well able to participate along with all our other rookies in the offseason conditioning weight program which should help all of them. Only Skyler Green seems to be a real dud but maybe that's offset by Austin's emergence as a legit return man.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Carpenter played well given his responsibility.

Now, if he could only get a push upfield on pass rush, then we'd all get happy.

But last night was a HUGE HUGE step in getting him playing.

There are players that don't practice well, don't do well in drills but when they hit the field, play OK or even better.

Carp maybe that type. They are gamers, not practice heros.

Give him more snaps and let the game slowdown for him a bit with the reps and then let's see what he is.

Just like with Romo or Watkins and several other new players that are starting to contribute..until you put them in and let them succeed and fail..you don't know what they are.

parcellswaterboy