Watching Pitt vs NE

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Anyone notice the success NE had running draw or delays up the middle?

This has been our MO this year, hopefully we can get Barber going early on some of these runs... They (NE) were getting good chunks of yardage just before the half, then started turning the ball over, and became one dimensional.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2455352 said:
Anyone notice the success NE had running draw or delays up the middle?

This has been our MO this year, hopefully we can get Barber going early on some of these runs... They (NE) were getting good chunks of yardage just before the half, then started turning the ball over, and became one dimensional.

The thing that concerns me is that we tend to go away from what works, just like New England eventually did (and turning the ball over and getting down by multiple scores can do that to ya).

The play calling by New England was very "Garrett-esque" if you ask me. I just hope red sticks with what works until Pitt either stops it, or the Cowboys are on the plane ride back with a W.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2455358 said:
The thing that concerns me is that we tend to go away from what works, just like New England eventually did (and turning the ball over and getting down by multiple scores can do that to ya).

The play calling by New England was very "Garrett-esque" if you ask me. I just hope red sticks with what works until Pitt either stops it, or the Cowboys are on the plane ride back with a W.

I just hope no matter how little sucess we have in the run game, that we don't abandon it at all.... If we become one dimensional we will get eaten alive.

The Panch

Reaction score
It's hard to tell what to learn from New England cause they didnt move the ball well and spent most of the second half coming from behind and it's not hard to get ground yards when the defense is playing pass.

Smith22

Reaction score
1) You CANNOT turn the ball over versus Pitt.

2) Big Ben is prone to throwing INT's and his OL is a shell of what it used to be. Pressure is the key. We don't need bick sack numbers against Pitt, just consistent pressure.

Manage those 2 areas and I'm confident we will win.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Pitt's defense is good, but they aint no 85 Bears. We should be able to execute our offense and score points. What will due is in is dumb penalties and missed assignments, otherwise Dallas has the edge in my opinion.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Then we need to get Deion Anderson some carries. If Barber is out or limited, let's not assume our only option to carry the ball is Tashard Choice. By feeding Anderson some carries on some quick FB draws - like we used to do with Moose - we will get the defense thinking more about the running game.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
We've played three teams with pass defenses on par with Pittsburgh's - the Giants, Packers and Bucs have all played in the same zip code this year. I don't see any reason to believe that we'll be especially ineffective offensively, so long as we limit our mistakes.

Offenses that use the passing game to set up the run, in particular Indianapolis and to some extent New England, have enjoyed success offensively, but you have to control the mistakes, because they are among the best at causing turnovers and exploiting them.

The Panch

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2455401 said:
We've played three teams with pass defenses on par with Pittsburgh's - the Giants, Packers and Bucs have all played in the same zip code this year. I don't see any reason to believe that we'll be especially ineffective offensively, so long as we limit our mistakes.

Offenses that use the passing game to set up the run, in particular Indianapolis and to some extent New England, have enjoyed success offensively, but you have to control the mistakes, because they are among the best at causing turnovers and exploiting them.
We didnt have Romo for the Giants or Bucs, so those games were irrelevant. The game he had against Green Bay was nothing to write to Jessica about.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
The Panch;2455405 said:
We didnt have Romo for the Giants or Bucs, so those games were irrelevant. The game he had against Green Bay was nothing to write to Jessica about.

And the Packers pass rush is no where near Pittsburgh's

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2455401 said:

If you look closely, Garrett uses the pass to set up the run, which is why the penalties, when they have happened, have killed our productivity.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is the best defense we have faced but Tony Romo is the best QB the Steelers have faced as well.

If they try to use a zone blitz they'll get a pick or maybe even a pick and a fumble out of Romo but they'll eat another 300 yard, multiple TD passing day. TR avoids the pass rush and extends the plays which is what destroys even great defenses.

If they run blitz which they do a good deal and TR makes someone miss then it will be more deep passes to T.O., Witten or ReW.

We are playing much better and probably have the best overall offense in football. The field conditions won't help our passing game much but the running game with a huge OL isn't hurt by mud at all and Barber is a plow horse.

I think we put together a very nice game this week. We know we need it and we are playing very well.