ljs44

Reaction score
Talk about an athlete to play centerfield

http://img132.*************/img132/651/f1355878tg.jpg

NICE VERTICAL!!!!

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Now that is gettin' up for a ball. Hope to see a lot of it this year. :)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ljs44 said:
Talk about an athlete to play centerfield

http://img132.*************/img132/651/f1355878tg.jpg

NICE VERTICAL!!!!

he needs to bulk up those legs - they look like they may break on landing. : )

but man alive - wonder if he can dive in and block kicks now also!

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy said:
Is that picture photoshopped? that's insane!

Why did he fall past the elite DBs in the draft? Everything I've read about this kid...pisses me off that you have him. So that means I think you made a good pick.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Why did he fall past the elite DBs in the draft? Everything I've read about this kid...pisses me off that you have him. So that means I think you made a good pick.

I've watched quite a bit of him. He could be a better tackler and his one-on-one could be better. Coverage wise, he's greatly suited to play zone. But, you *usually* want your defensive backs to be very good tacklers in a zone scheme.

IMO, I think the scouts were a bit harsh on his man-to-man cover skills and his tackling. They're not great, but they're pretty average for a safety coming out of college. His zone cover skills and athleticism are excellent.

Anyway, I don't expect him to do too much this year...but since Roy is only 25 years old, I can't wait to see these two in the defensive backfield full time come 2007.

Rich...........

ravidubey

Reaction score
His combine vertical was 41 inches, which is obviously outstanding. He got dinged for being too tall; height apparently is not good for quickness when turning -- like after missing your jam at the LOS and having to do a 180 and run.

But Dallas wants an opportunistic centerfielder, not another corner. Coming from such a big program I think Watkins will be fine-- he led his team in interceptions three years running.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Anyone have the link to his prospect video?

Reaction score
I don't think his tackling will be that much of a problem, if he applies himself.
19757789.jpg

19991060.jpg

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
I don't think his tackling will be that much of a problem, if he applies himself.

You should see his prospect video where he drills the snot out of Heath Miller.

Like I said, I think the scouts were too harsh on his tackling. He seemed like a guy that made sure to wrap up. He might not be able to shed blockers (exactly how many FS can do that anyway?) and knock ball carriers back like Roy does, but that doesn't mean he's a bad tackler.

Rich.....

mwmilsted

Reaction score
Funxva said:
Anyone have the link to his prospect video?
Go to Yahoo.com and look at the NFL tab. There are plenty of
videos for all of the Cowboy picks except for their third rounder.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
mwmilsted said:
Go to Yahoo.com and look at the NFL tab. There are plenty of
videos for all of the Cowboy picks except for their third rounder.

Thanks man. I found it. Sweeeet.

aikemirv

Reaction score
There is not a CB in the NFL that could go up with that guy in the end zone. He very well could be used in Redzone situations.

A QB could throw the ball well above the goal post and he could come down with it easily!

stiletto

Reaction score
HOLY!! What'd he do jump out of the stands to get that ball??? :)

Justin

Reaction score
You also go to remember that angles can make anyone look like they are 50 feet of the ground.

Anyways I am excited about him this season.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Regarding tackling:

I think I remember that Newman was considered a shoddy tackler coming out - but since he's been here, he has been very good at a) hitting and bringing down a receiver when they actually catch it and b) playing the run.

I love the way Newman tackles - he isn't a big guy, but he uses form and leverage as well as anyone in the league. I think his run support is very underrated. Both our corners are good tacklers.

Anyway - point being - if you come to this team, you can either already tackle or you will learn.