Watkins/Hill/Romo/TO talk controversy - 10/1/08

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
http://dcfanatic.com/2008/10/01/is-it-any-wonder-why-the-cowboys-cant-stand-the-media-anymore.aspx
-------------------------------------------------

This is why the Cowboys can't stand the media

Posted by DCFanatic at 10/1/2008 2:43 PM and is filed under Player Info,Cowboys News

Once I heard T.O. at the post game press conference I knew that the media was going to try and make it seem like he went and beat the hell out of Tony Romo. Why? Because I have been blogging about this team for three years now and I know that 99% of the local and national media are still waiting for the 'old T.O.' to show up once again. They just can't let it go and they won't until he retires from the NFL.

Here's a breakdown.

We will begin on Tuesday because we all heard the post game stuff which wasn't anything to get all crazy about.

Here's the article that pretty much fed into the little fire that ESPN had going which turned this entire thing into a five story inferno, read here.

Owens, despite having 18 passes thrown his way in the loss to Washington, had what was deemed a serious conversation about the offense with quarterback Tony Romo after the game, according to multiple sources.
The types of routes and throws are what concerns Owens, the sources said. The receiver, who the sources said was venting to Romo about his frustrations, has not liked how some of the throws were coming from the quarterback as far back as the season opener.

So that's what Calvin Watkins is saying happened.

Now we go to what Clarence E. Hill wrote today in the Star-Telegram, read here.

Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens is not mad about the offense and he is not upset with quarterback Tony Romo. Owens, who has drawn national attention for his comments about the offense and a report that he complained to Romo after the Washington Commanders game Sunday, answered the charges on his radio show Tuesday night at the House of Blues.
Owens said he never had a conversation with Romo about his role in the offense.
“I have not,” Owens said when asked if voiced his displeasure with Romo after the 26-24 loss to the Commanders.
A source did acknowledge that he is frustrated with some of the routes that have been called. He caught only two passes in six quarters from the second half of the Eagles game through the entire Eagles game before catching seven passes against the Commanders on Sunday.
And Clarence is gettin his info from this interview which I posted last night...

T.O. on Inside The Huddle

So the man says it never happened. I believe him. We should all believe him because he's never been afraid to speak the truth in the past so I can't see why he would stop doing so now.

Now going back to the Clarence Hill article for a second. Notice how on that last paragraph he states that he did hear from some sources that T.O. was 'frustrated with some of the routes that have been called'.

These reporters and their sources. We will get back into that later.

Ok, let's move on to today.

On The Michael Irvin Show it seemed like Mike and Kevin were going to spend the entire show getting into all this drama so I decided to record the entire thing.

First we have Clarence Hill on...

Hill first call in to Irvin

Now in here he's being as wishy washy as it gets. So now T.O. misremembered what happened after the game? Give me a break. And this is coming from a guy who just wrote an article going against what Watkins said the day before in his article.

Why? Why is he even trying to defend Watkins? You know why, because he's in the media and he's on the same team in a way with Watkins.

I love how Kevin Kiley wasn't letting him off the hook. That's the problem with these reporters. They are never challenged about these so called sources and how they create a mountain out of a mole hill with sensationalistic headlines. Kiley was dead on with the commentary that it's just Clarence Hill using double talk to try and defend his media friend.

And Kevin's last comments about the headline are the important thing here. Even if T.O. talked to Romo after the game who cares what was said. They are teammates and are supposed to talk about the game. That stupid headline made it seem like the 'old T.O.' was back and was ready to start some BS.

Ok, now we go to T.O. from the Ticket from this morning and I am just throwing this in to let you know he is still sticking to his side of the story that he never had this so called 'serious conversation' with Romo...

T.O. on The Ticket

Once again. There are no problems with him and Tony Romo. There was no big blowup after the game in the locker room or any kind of 'serious discussion' between the two players.

What a great point also about now having the audio or video on things. This is why I love providing audio and video on this blog. Reading some quotes from players just isn't the same as seeing or actually hearing them voice the same quote. And in a situation where there is some controversy it can make all the difference in the world.

And I love the way he let's it be known that no matter what the media does with their BS they will not divide this team.

Now we move to Calvin Watkins and listen carefully about what he says about the headline...

Calvin Watkins on Irvin Show

So he never spoke to T.O. or Tony Romo before he wrote the article. So he didn't actually see or hear any kind of 'serious discussion' between the two men. So he doesn't even want to say it was T.O. 'complaining' and that he's not responsible for the headline that was written.

But he is sticking by the story because he has four 'sources' who say it happened.

But wait. What is the 'it' in the 'it happened'? Was it a 'serious discussion' or was it T.O. walking by Romo's locker and saying that next week the offense has to be more efficient and maybe have a better game plan. And maybe Romo's response was 'Yeah, we just didn't get it done today, but we will work hard this week to make sure the offense is playing at a higher level against the Bengals'.

See where I am going here.

I could come on this blog tomorrow and put up an article saying that Jerry Jones wants to fire Wade Phillips because four guys from Dallas called me and told me so. It's just ridiculous that this schmoe Watkins comes out with an article that is clearly trying to start some BS and then has nothing from the actual people involved to back it up. I mean isn't that journalism 101?

Now why would anyone wonder why the Dallas media is known as a bunch of shoddy reporters who make up more BS than any other crew of reporters in the other cities covering NFL teams.

So T.O. calls him. Ok Calvin, so did T.O. say that a 'serious discussion' took place? No, he never once said that T.O. confirmed that any thing of the sort ever took place. He says that T.O. spoke about the 'throws' and the 'routes' and blah blah blah.

Bottom line is that what you wrote in the F****** article wasn't true Calvin! There was no 'serious discussion' that could have been misconstrued as T.O. complaining about the offense.

Calvin Watkins is a crap reporter, nuff said.

And I love him trying to say Romo was wishy washy about the issue. I am going to kill that BS right now with the second call in from Clarence Hill...

Hill calls back into Irvin Show

So Romo disputes the BS story from Watkins. Wasn't it funny how Watkins was in the same locker room yet he went on Irvin and tried to say Romo skirted the issue. Wow. He's not only a crap journalist, but he's a liar as well.

And No I don't really think Hill is much better either in this situation because just like Kiley said, 'so now lets just blame Romo' and change the direction on this thing so the shoddy reporting isn't the main story anymore.

If the Cowboys players start boycotting both the Dallas Morning News and the Star-Telegram after all this I would not blame them one bit. They are all vultures who are so caught up in their own little world of trying to be the next invite onto ESPN that they will do whatever it takes.

It's pathetic. And worst of all it's dishonest and it's malicious for them to try and try again to run Terrell Owens thru the mill as if he exploded on his QB and went after him with a helmet when all he really did was show his frustration about losing a football game.

Let's finish with the star QB and his star WR letting all of us diehard fans know that all is well.

Romo from the locker room

T.O. from the locker room

Sounds like everything is alright to me.

What about you?

Brian_C82

Reaction score
Even if TO criticized the players or coaches, what is the big deal? I never saw what the big deal was when TO criticized McNabb. It's like nobody in the sports world can take any criticism anymore. I seem to remember Aikman criticizing Switzer for being undisciplined, and we still won the Super Bowl. The notion that criticizing your teammates/coaches will destroy the team is simply ludicrous.

This drama queen mentality is turning the NFL into a circus. You have coaches being fired over petty squabbles. You have players like Shockey and Burress being punished for minor BS. Do these idiots want to win ballgames, or are they more concerned with their personal rivalries and office politics?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Man, that must have taken some time to put together, thanks!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Brian_C82;2302356 said:
Even if TO criticized the players or coaches, what is the big deal? I never saw what the big deal was when TO criticized McNabb. It's like nobody in the sports world can take any criticism anymore. I seem to remember Aikman criticizing Switzer for being undisciplined, and we still won the Super Bowl. The notion that criticizing your teammates/coaches will destroy the team is simply ludicrous.

This drama queen mentality is turning the NFL into a circus. You have coaches being fired over petty squabbles. You have players like Shockey and Burress being punished for minor BS. Do these idiots want to win ballgames, or are they more concerned with their personal rivalries and office politics?

Because if you go to a coach or a teammate with a disagreement then you go directly to them you don't do it through the media that is the problem. Airing dirty laundry in the media is never the right thing to do and as it has been said in sports for years what goes on behind closed doors, stays behind closed doors. Having said that I don't see an issue here except for the issue of the media looking to create a story again this is why you don't air dirty laundry to the media

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I have been watching and reading hill since I got here. He is what he is.

Watkins is relatively new. He seems like a guy looking to jump to a national job. He is one of the more negative people in the area. When he is on local shows doing postgame or nfl talk he comes off as arrogant and not real bright.

I really wouldnt worry what either guy says.