We can learn a lot from the Jets about Identity

Aven8

Reaction score
Watching this season unfold has been almost surreal in a sense. But when watching the Monday night game the other night I noticed a team that Garrett should be watching as well. The NY Jets. The way Shottenheimer (who I think might make a fantastic HC hear someday) runs that offense reminds me of the 90's teams we had here in Dallas. They run the ball, and they use the play action pass to almost perfection. They don't try to put up the ball 50 times in the air, they play there game. Which is what we use to do and what we should start doing.

We try and figure out what is going wrong with this team from our armchairs and it's this player and that player, etc., but when it all comes down to it it's our identity. This team doesn't have an identity, or for that matter any sense of a philosophy.

That falls back on coaching. We have debated that to death on this board, and it's most likely not going to change this season. This team needs to start teaching fundamentals to this team again, and every week for that matter (not just a one time occurance). We also need to simplify the offense, not for Tony's sake, but for the teams sake. We have the talent to beat anybody, but we don't have that true idenity that every team good team has. That's what is missing IMO and that is why our season is going down the drain.

We see teams all over this league that have there philosophy, or an identity. We could learn a lot from those teams, but until we find our own identity, and don't work on the little things, we will continue to find ways to lose.

Football is pretty simple game, and when it's played right, coached correctly, and played with the proper fundamentals the results can be miraculous. When it is not it can be ugly. And, I've think we have seen enough ugly for one season.

:starspin​

Prodigal Son

Reaction score
Aven8;3618789 said:
Watching this season unfold has been almost surreal in a sense. But when watching the Monday night game the other night I noticed a team that Garrett should be watching as well. The NY Jets. The way Shottenheimer (who I think might make a fantastic HC hear someday) runs that offense reminds me of the 90's teams we had here in Dallas. They run the ball, and they use the play action pass to almost perfection. They don't try to put up the ball 50 times in the air, they play there game. Which is what we use to do and what we should start doing.

We try and figure out what is going wrong with this team from our armchairs and it's this player and that player, etc., but when it all comes down to it it's our identity. This team doesn't have an identity, or for that matter any sense of a philosophy.

That falls back on coaching. We have debated that to death on this board, and it's most likely not going to change this season. This team needs to start teaching fundamentals to this team again, and every week for that matter (not just a one time occurance). We also need to simplify the offense, not for Tony's sake, but for the teams sake. We have the talent to beat anybody, but we don't have that true idenity that every team good team has. That's what is missing IMO and that is why our season is going down the drain.

We see teams all over this league that have there philosophy, or an identity. We could learn a lot from those teams, but until we find our own identity, and don't work on the little things, we will continue to find ways to lose.

Football is pretty simple game, and when it's played right, coached correctly, and played with the proper fundamentals the results can be miraculous. When it is not it can be ugly. And, I've think we have seen enough ugly for one season.

:starspin​

I see what your saying, but at the same time, the play calling needs to be suited towards the personnel you have. The reason the Jets use a lot of play action, and don't rely on throwing the ball down field a lot is because Mark Sanchez is their QB.

superpunk

Reaction score
It's really easy to envy teams when you aren't looking at them with the same critical eye that you reserve for Dallas.

Schottenheimer's "identity" is largely borne out of necessity, because Mark Sanchez is freaking terrible. But I would ask you to consider his game management at the end of the game which could have lost them the game, if Favre could have hit the broad side of a Percy Harvin.

After the Jets picked up a first down, they handed off to Tomlinson with 2:47 left. The Vikings only had one timeout left, so it was obvious their plan was to let the Jets run one more play, and then use some combination of the timeout and 2 minute warning to get the ball back with slightly under two minutes left and no timeouts. Instead, Schottenheimer called two straight passes for his terrible QB (who missed both and ALMOST threw a pick after a tip on the one IIRC), punting it away and leaving the Vikings with a timeout.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying we don't have an identity? We are a PASSING team with a run game that has to be respected also and helps the passing game when working.

Aven8

Reaction score
superpunk;3618818 said:
It's really easy to envy teams when you aren't looking at them with the same critical eye that you reserve for Dallas.

Schottenheimer's "identity" is largely borne out of necessity, because Mark Sanchez is freaking terrible. But I would ask you to consider his game management at the end of the game which could have lost them the game, if Favre could have hit the broad side of a Percy Harvin.

After the Jets picked up a first down, they handed off to Tomlinson with 2:47 left. The Vikings only had one timeout left, so it was obvious their plan was to let the Jets run one more play, and then use some combination of the timeout and 2 minute warning to get the ball back with slightly under two minutes left and no timeouts. Instead, Schottenheimer called two straight passes for his terrible QB (who missed both and ALMOST threw a pick after a tip on the one IIRC), punting it away and leaving the Vikings with a timeout.

But guess what there team won. And I disagree with you that Sanchez is terrible btw. He's young, but pretty good at what they ask him to do so far. The believe in what they do, and what they want to do. We're a hodge podge of what can I pull out of the hat next.

Aven8

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3618822 said:
Why do people keep saying we don't have an identity? We are a PASSING team with a run game that has to be respected also and helps the passing game when working.

Are we really??? If that's the case we have a lot of work to do. Three times this season Romo has thrown 40+ attempts and we have lost all three.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Aven8;3618837 said:
Are we really??? If that's the case we have a lot of work to do. Three times this season Romo has thrown 40+ attempts and we have lost all three.

That doesn't mean it's not our identity just because we lost a game. Once our D stops falling apart and we aren't committing constant penalties causing us to play catchup every game, the passes will come back down but we're still a passing team. This isn't the 70's anymore. Passing is most teams' identity.

superpunk

Reaction score
Aven8;3618832 said:
But guess what there team won. .
Just because it worked out doesn't mean Schottenheimer didn't horribly mismanage the situation.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
superpunk;3618818 said:

On 2nd down, the play clock wouldn't run them down to the 2 minute warning so they had to run a play. Instead of milking it and running, they threw an incomplete pass rather quickly and the clock was still short of the 2 minute warning. Horrible clock management.

JPM

Reaction score
superpunk;3618818 said:

Boom;3618920 said:
On 2nd down, the play clock wouldn't run them down to the 2 minute warning so they had to run a play. Instead of milking it and running, they threw an incomplete pass rather quickly and the clock was still short of the 2 minute warning. Horrible clock management.
This board would have had a meltdown if Garrett did that win or lose.

davidb257

Benched
Reaction score
Prodigal Son;3618806 said:
I see what your saying, but at the same time, the play calling needs to be suited towards the personnel you have. The reason the Jets use a lot of play action, and don't rely on throwing the ball down field a lot is because Mark Sanchez is their QB.

Sanchez has put up GREAT numbers for a QB in his 2nd season, a QB rating a point less than Romo at 91.7 and a TD ratio of 8-0. 8 TO 0.

There are two QB's who stand alone at over 300 yards/game throwing. Rivers, Romo, and Orton.

Rivers are Romo both sit on teams with losing records and who the hell knows what is goin on in Denver right now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3618822 said:

Yea I don't get why people are still wondering our identity. Its been quite clear for awhile now for me anyway. We're a passing team. We allow our pass to open up our run.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
davidb257;3619097 said:
Sanchez has put up GREAT numbers for a QB in his 2nd season, a QB rating a point less than Romo at 91.7 and a TD ratio of 8-0. 8 TO 0.

There are two QB's who stand alone at over 300 yards/game throwing. Rivers, Romo, and Orton.

Rivers are Romo both sit on teams with losing records and who the hell knows what is goin on in Denver right now.

Its because Sanchez is a bus driver. They rarely put him in harms way. I'm not a fan of that type of offense but the Jets don't really have a choice with Sanchez being somewhat still green.

kramskoi

Reaction score
i would'nt say Sanchez was anything more than efficient...21-44-191...a dreadful 47.7% completion average...an awful 4.34 yd/att...no wonder they kicked 5 field goals...BUT he did'nt throw the bad ball and put his defense in a bad position...throwing 44 times in a game you never trailed in belies an offense that merely asks Sanchez not to hold the ball too long and take the check-down at the slightest hint of trouble...Romo had double the yds/att last sunday but that is both his and Garrett's m.o...push the ball down the field...a riskier proposition but also a more profitable one...

...keeping Romo in the 30-35 attempt range seems to bring the best results for the team as a whole...anytime he's above 40 they are in trouble...amazing is'nt it?...this almost eliminates the need to even watch the game...just check the stats from quarter to quarter and you'll know if Dallas is going to get the win...fascinating...

SDCowboy

Reaction score
davidb257;3619097 said:

Huh?

Denver also has a losing record.

kramskoi

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3618843 said:
That doesn't mean it's not our identity just because we lost a game. Once our D stops falling apart and we aren't committing constant penalties causing us to play catchup every game, the passes will come back down but we're still a passing team. This isn't the 70's anymore. Passing is most teams' identity.

...judging by the curious tendency to end up in third and long, of which Romo is king, i feel comfortable in my assessment that Dallas has been a big-play offense ever since he took the reigns...Garrett is well aware of his improvisational skills and relies on it on third downs...however it works to the detriment of the offense to constantly end up in that down and distance, primarily because of not getting enough, for whatever reasons, on first and second down...