We Desperately Need to Add These Two Before the Season Begins

mperfection

Reaction score
  1. Bring back Stephon Gilmore...if one of our top 3 CB's goes down, we're in trouble.
  2. A strong DT. Still don't understand why let our DT from last year (#95) leave for Seattle.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think Gilmore will come back to be a backup. I think he can be a starter somewhere, and the first injury to a CB anywhere in the league might be the place he goes.

Adding a strong DT to the roster seems to be on the list every year lately. I think Hankins was going to cost them more money than they thought he was worth. He was better than anyone on the Cowboys today, but that isn't saying much. I think the Cowboys are going to sink or swim with Mazi this year. Given the way they are treating the season (based on no activity) this would be the year to throw Mazi into the deep end of the pool and see if he survives.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I don't think Gilmore will come back to be a backup. I think he can be a starter somewhere, and the first injury to a CB anywhere in the league might be the place he goes.

Adding a strong DT to the roster seems to be on the list every year lately. I think Hankins was going to cost them more money than they thought he was worth. He was better than anyone on the Cowboys today, but that isn't saying much. I think the Cowboys are going to sink or swim with Mazi this year. Given the way they are treating the season (based on no activity) this would be the year to throw Mazi into the deep end of the pool and see if he survives.
Zimmer will give Mazi enough rope to drown and then make a move after the first few games if he stinks. Zimmer is not a patient guy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
  1. Bring back Stephon Gilmore...if one of our top 3 CB's goes down, we're in trouble.
  2. A strong DT. Still don't understand why let our DT from last year (#95) leave for Seattle.
Actually it happened last year and if anyone's top three corners go down it's not gonna be the same you can't be 4 deep and everything dude seriously and let's see how the defensive tackles continue to rotate and see what they look like the rest of preseason then wait till after cut downs and figure out if we need other areas...

Y'all need to stop acting like you could just put as many good players 4D on a team literally we have one of the best 3 starters in the league if you look at all three on every team show me their 4th and 5th corners it's a matter of fact I'm betting you could use a guy in a pinch inside like one of our safeties you know I'm betting bell can do an OK job at some point if it was an emergency but don't sleep on Carson and some of these other guys you eventually have to use some of your depth and your young players..

Gilmore just came off an injury he's old and he wants too much money and he wanted $10 million that is why he's still out there why isn't any other team picked him up yes it would be nice but it's an embarrassment of riches if you think teams have all that room for that many starters we don't have the room to have four good starters at corner nobody else does we destroyed Philadelphia last year and they always seem to be the team we talk about who to make all the moves their back end look like trash.. It's ironic hours did not and we did lose Trayvon diggs and still recovered.. We went all year with that group of three and yeah when guys got dinged and went out you had to pend on some of your young players again you can't always have that many good players at one position..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephon Gilmore has been a great player. He turns 34 in Sept and we have seen his performance decline over the last 2-3 years even though he has remained solid if not spectacular.

IMO Re-signing him here is not a good idea. Having a backup corner cost as much as he will garner is not a good use of cap space in my view. We need DTs and RBs way more than a backup corner. Plus I don’t think Gilmore would want to be where he’s not a starter.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would look at Gilmore after the first game if necessary, that way his salary isn't guaranteed. Although he will probably sign with someone before that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
our DT stunk last year, and you are seriously clamoring to bring the uy back? Nope, Mazi was a 1st rd pick and he plays this year. For better or worse, he needs to show if hes any good.

Smith22

Reaction score
We need another DT (depth and to push Mazi) and a solid rotational RB. Zeke is worn down, while Rico shows flashes but usually ends up injured.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gilmore still wants too much money, and any team would not pay him that much to be a back up player. As that is what he would be here. Bland earned his starting position. And the Gilmore money will go to Bland. That is the smart move.

Hankins was to the point he was injury prone. He missed games both years he was here. I agree we do need another DT. But they will need to wait to see who is released As I do not see one in a trade at this point.

And the team already decided they are going with the youth they drafted over the past 3 years. When they let players sign and leave in FA, as well not sign any FA's, other than 2, that was a given.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Breaking News: I strongly see the Cowboys making a Anthony Barr kind of signing where they sign said player right before the season and they're not ready to play yet but will eventually play once they're in shape!!!

Havic

Reaction score
Young guys have done well at cb. We’ve need a DT for a long time, mazi is that person whether he pans out or not who knows. I’d like to see us pick up a running back, maybe a Miles Sanders if he is cut in Carolina

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Insane how this crap carries over every year with DT/Nose. Huge, glaring need that is crippling the team and they halfass the solution and wait three years to see if a single draft pick can solve it.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RB and DT are the two positions I'd be looking for

Dameon Pierce or Michael Carter are two RBs I'd be looking at via trade

Tedarrell Slaton from GB - he's a true NT and their new DC prefers disruption upfront and so he might be an option

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
pass on gilmore for now. there is a reason 31 other teams haven't signed him. it looks like we are 4 deep at CB and should be OK

which DT? who is available? we want a DT but there aren't any worth it.

exciter

Reaction score
The contract Gilmore is looking for would necessitate him being a starter. There’s no way you can demote Bland back to the slot after last years play! Unless someone already has a season ending injury it’s not feasible!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As with everything else in the NFL, it depends on the price tag. Gilmore is a future HOFer who’s not going to play for peanuts. I look for him to catch on with a contender in need.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I don't think Gilmore is in the cards. We have Diggs returning, Bland, Lewis, and by all accounts, the rookie Carson is playing very well. That would be four CBs the coaches have confidence in.

A strong DT, absolutely, Unfortunately, the top FAs are gone. I would not be surprised to see a day 3 pick traded for a DT, or a surprise veteran cut from another team.

I also would still love to see a legit, starting RB this would also come from a trade, and maybe some pass-rushing depth.