We don't need that many picks...

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
here's my thing about the draft.. everyone wants to stock up draft picks by trading down.. the thing is, we have so many quality players already locking up positions.. we can only have 53 on the roster, and only 45 active.. many many of those positions are already locked and in place.. we only have a handful of positions, starter or reserve, that are up for grabs.. thats why I would rather try to make a move up and land a big time playmaker (Huff, Hawk) that will contribute and make a difference this year as we try to make a run.. either that or just stay put and get the best OLB or FS or OT available at the pick.. whoever we think will make the biggest difference for us.. why try to stock pile some 4th rounders and be so concerned with having a bunch of picks.. I mean, when it comes down to it, if we grab some cornerback in the 4th round, he will be battling it out with Jacques Reeves for the 4th spot.. if we grab some defensive tackle in the 5th round, he will battle it out with Thomas Johnson for the backup spot.. the point is, we have quality backups that likely wont be much upgraded by 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.. so we cut Scott Shanle or some 6th round LB.. who cares? this team is close and would be better off making a splash and trying to get a few difference makers in the first couple of rounds.. listen, im all for quality depth and all that, but I think we already have that.. we need a playmaker or two..

blindzebra

Reaction score
What rounds did we get James, Canty, Crayton?

How about Ratliff, Petitti and Beriault?

Care to guess what round Ferguson and Coleman got drafted?

We have questionable depth on the OL and at LB, we have a lot of guys coming off of injuries, and we are old at a couple of positions.

In this day in age, sure we can make the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean we are hole free with quality depth. I want competition for spots, I want several starters on last years team seriously worried about making the team.

That is how you build a team that will be in it for years, you don't do it trading away your picks to make a big splash.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
ok I just read an article on the draft value board and it changed my opinion on moving UP to get a Huff.. but I still dont want to move down.. I stand by what I said with that.. yes, I know that you can find some gems in those late rounds.. and last year was incredible as far as that was concerned.. but I would rather not try to pile up more picks and would rather take the best guys available when we do pick..

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
If there is no huge difference between the player you can have at 18 and the player you can have at say 25, then moving down to get extra picks is a good idea. You never know with the draft... A QB can all of a sudden start dropping (see 2005) and teams may make too good of an offer to pick at your spot.

It is all based on what happens on that day. If for some reason HAwk, Ngata or Huff dropped to say 15, I say trade up 3 spots and grab em. On the other hand, lets say both Lawson and Carpenter are still on the board at 18, I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots to get an additional pick, since there is a good chance to still land one of them.

It all depends on the situation. There are some very good players to be had in the later rounds, don't underestimate them. We hit on EVERY PICK last year, I hope we can repeat.

sago1

Reaction score
I think Cowboys can plan to trade down all they want but events on draft day will determine what happens. If within the first 17 picks somethig unusual happens and there 1-2 players available who shouldn't be (and not of interest to us), we may be able get a deal done which brings a 3rd and/or 4th rounder but still allows us to add 1 of the players we covet. Trading down to the 25th-29th pick brings us a 2nd rounder (maybe a 4th as well) if Jets/Colts really tempted but which players we looking out who still available with that late round pick? It's a crap shoot all right.

BTW: No way do I see us trading up cause we don't have any extra picks to give away nor players to trade. If we got a surprising good offer for Ellis, we might accept it but it would be used to add another good first day pick and not move up.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting theory. But that is not the way to work a draft. I am in favor of trading down a few spots and getting the extra draft pick. Between WR, OL, NT, OLB and FS I am sure I can find players to upgrade the 45 we dress for every game. It isn't about upgrading the final few roster spots with impact players. Those 45 we dress for each game can be upgraded as well.