CFZ We learn so little in the preseason

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Raise your hand if you saw us winning if Cooper Rush was forced to start after his preseason performance this year.

Rush was 17 of 31 in the preseason for 136 yards and an interception (no TDs). He looked more like he belonged on the street than an NFL roster. Made it easy to cut him and put him on the practice squad.

Sometimes we forget that there's little to no game-planning in the preseason and players can be working on specific things or asked to do specific things. There are also a lot of moving parts with different combinations of players coming in and out of games, so developing a rhythm can be difficult.

It can be easy to get sucked into what happens in those meaningless games. I know that I was with Rush. I wanted nothing to do with him after this preseason. These last couple of games have retaught me that things can be a lot different in the regular season when there is scheming to take advantage of strengths and lessen weaknesses.

I'm sure I'll forget that again by next preseason, though.

conner01

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you saw us winning if Cooper Rush was forced to start after his preseason performance this year.

Rush was 17 of 31 in the preseason for 136 yards and an interception (no TDs). He looked more like he belonged on the street than an NFL roster. Made it easy to cut him and put him on the practice squad.

Sometimes we forget that there's little to no game-planning in the preseason and players can be working on specific things or asked to do specific things. There are also a lot of moving parts with different combinations of players coming in and out of games, so developing a rhythm can be difficult.

It can be easy to get sucked into what happens in those meaningless games. I know that I was with Rush. I wanted nothing to do with him after this preseason. These last couple of games have retaught me that things can be a lot different in the regular season when there is scheming to take advantage of strengths and lessen weaknesses.

You learn a bit about young players individually doing their job
But probably less about the QB’s because there is no game planning, setting up a route and many times not even your starters

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Agreed. Preseason football is terrible football that gets overhyped because people are starved for games with 6 months of nothing but baseball and basketball after the Super Bowl.

I used to fall victim to my preseason pet cats all the time, but hardly watch preseason games anymore. They are so misleading. It’s scrubs vs scrubs playing mostly base offense/defense, and when starters do play it’s more for individual reasons than anything else.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Rush didn't have a lot of starters around him in preseason.................

gimmesix

Reaction score
Rush didn't have a lot of starters around him in preseason.................

Yes, that's part of the problem with trying to judge based on the preseason.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You learn a bit about young players individually doing their job
But probably less about the QB’s because there is no game planning, setting up a route and many times not even your starters

Game-planning is a big part of performance, though. You can get a basic understanding of whether they have the ability to play on this level, but any other conclusions we draw are probably too much.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's easy to tell who forgets. Just read the game threads following a loss. The overreaction is off the charts.

I tend to try to not overreact to the good and bad with players. There are ups and downs (like with Lamb dropping the long pass and getting bashed for it). With Rush, I have to admit that I thought it best to be done with him after the preseason. That'll teach me to stick to being patient to see how things turn out rather than drawing conclusions before the matter is settled.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's easy to tell who forgets. Just read the game threads following a loss. The overreaction is off the charts.
I’m waiting not wanting, Cooper’s first loss. See if these people still support him. I don’t care who is behind center. Just keep winning