We rode Emmitt to success... should we ride TO?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Personal feelings aside about TO.... strategy and team success-wise... should we?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick said:
Personal feelings aside about TO.... strategy and team success-wise... should we?

I think we need to use him with in the fram work of the offense but unlike Emmitt TO is not a RB who is going to get 25 to 30 touches a game. You don't ride a WR like you do a RB unless your a WCO who uses the short pass as part of their running attack.

JonCJG

Reaction score
I feel like we did back when we had Irvin..... like he will get a 1st down on 3rd down somehow, someway.

Stautner

Reaction score
There are a lot more factors than just one player.

While I agree that Emmitt was the workhorse that carried the team, he couldn't have done it without a strong O-line and a good passing game to take some of the pressure.

This team has a weak O-line, the running game needed to take pressure off TO is anemic, and it is much harder for a WR to be the workhorse than a RB.

superpunk

Reaction score
Sounds ghey.

But I'm not letting that stop me.

Let's ride him. He is a savage beast.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think we need to use him with in the fram work of the offense but unlike Emmitt TO is not a RB who is going to get 25 to 30 touches a game. You don't ride a WR like you do a RB unless your a WCO who uses the short pass as part of their running attack.
This is close to what I was thinking.

We should ride him and his talent, but without making it seem like we are.

Does that make sense ?

The first drive was perfect, two passes to Owens, one to Glenn, one to Witten, and a run for a TD by JJ.

Sprinkle in EVERYONE else, but ride Owens.

Never overdo it so we seem predictable, but he needs to get the ball a lot.

It only makes sense.

I also think we need to pass to set up the run with the talent we have receiving, and the talent we don't have at RB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
KD said:
I feel like we did back when we had Irvin..... like he will get a 1st down on 3rd down somehow, someway.

Irvin averaged about 6 catches a game and was still used in the fram work of the offense. Smith on the other hand was getting between 25 to 30 carries a game.

Stautner

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Sounds ghey.

But I'm not letting that stop me.

Let's ride him. He is a savage beast.

Hmmmmmmmm - sounds like a personal thing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
This is close to what I was thinking.

We should ride him and his talent, but without making it seem like we are.

Does that make sense ?

The first drive was perfect, two passes to Owens, one to Glenn, one to Witten, and a run for a TD by JJ.

Sprinkle in EVERYONE else, but ride Owens.

Never overdo it so we seem predictable, but he needs to get the ball a lot.

It only makes sense.

I also think we need to pass to set up the run with the talent we have receiving, and the talent we don't have at RB.

I have no issue with using TO as a go to guy but we are still talking the WR postion and you figure a 100 catch season for any WR is pretty high number but that is still only 6.5 catches a game. There are going to be games where Owens is not going to get many chances as defense focus on him. Dallas must keep everyone involved. Owens will get his but I don't see him have a 200 reception season.

superpunk

Reaction score
Stautner said:
Hmmmmmmmm - sounds like a personal thing.

Terrell%20Owens-thumb.jpg

Try to look away.

You can't.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
KD said:

I think we saw last Sunday how valuable Aikman was. Back then we had a QB who could consistenly get the ball to Irvin. I like Drew, but he's nowhere near as consistent in delivering the football as Aikman was. And while #81 is quite good, he's not near the hall-of-fame level that our beloved #88 was.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
No, I think we should use him as a decoy. With all of the focus on TO and Glenn and then probably JJ, I think the guy we need to ride to success is Anthony Fasano!

:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I think we saw last Sunday how valuable Aikman was. Back then we had a QB who could consistenly get hte ball to Irvin. I like Drew, but he's nowhere near as consistent in delivering the football as Aikman was.

Aikman in Sunday game would have had a hard time. If you recall Troy had a hell of a time throwing wet balls. His worst games would happen during bad weather days. I love Aikman and I agree my choice between Bledsoe and Troy I take Troy hands down but I remember looking at the forecast before every game because I knew we would have some problems passing on wet days.

DipChit

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I think we saw last Sunday how valuable Aikman was. Back then we had a QB who could consistenly get the ball to Irvin. I like Drew, but he's nowhere near as consistent in delivering the football as Aikman was. And while #81 is quite good, he's not near the hall-of-fame level that our beloved #88 was.

You make it sound so easy. All Aikman and Irvin had to do was play catch. You'd think there was no way we could blow chunks with that combo.. yet we basically did from 96-98 anyway.. go figure. ;)