We Should Draft a WR, TE and in RB Rounds 2-5

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Last year was a reactionary defensive draft.. It was much needed. Years of neglect and bad picks.. Can't let the offense decline. Zeke & Pollard have a one year shelf life.. Shultz is our only good TE. He is franchised.. No depth behind Lamb and Gallup.. We all know Dak needs all pro's in every position to be effective.. Be proactive front office..

chicago JK

Reaction score
I have been lukewarm on a RB this year, but that has changed a tad. I think the second round is the prime spot for good running backs. Taylor from the Colts, JK Dobbins Ravens and Derrick Henry. I just don't see that caliber player in this years running back class. Add to the fact Zeke will be with the team for at least one more year. So I think a top three round pick next year will be on a plug and play running back.

But I have come around on a 4th or 5th round running back if one is there I really like.

I do think a Tight end will be picked in rounds 3-5 too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Last year was a reactionary defensive draft.. It was much needed. Years of neglect and bad picks.. Can't let the offense decline. Zeke & Pollard have a one year shelf life.. Shultz is our only good TE. He is franchised.. No depth behind Lamb and Gallup.. We all know Dak needs all pro's in every position to be effective.. Be proactive front office..
we should go OL, Defense....forget RB

quickccc

Reaction score
I have been lukewarm on a RB this year, but that has changed a tad. I think the second round is the prime spot for good running backs. Taylor from the Colts, JK Dobbins Ravens and Derrick Henry. I just don't see that caliber player in this years running back class. Add to the fact Zeke will be with the team for at least one more year. So I think a top three round pick next year will be on a plug and play running back.

But I have come around on a 4th or 5th round running back if one is there I really like.

I'm only down for a back in the NFL draft, if it comes down to a matter or so:

1) if there's a RB around the 5th round value, that could give us great special team contribution -particularly as a punt returner where we really need a new and improved PR
and he can also double as a dangerous pass catching nickel back. ala Nyheim Hines Colts., Tarik Cohen, etc.

- BTW, Cowboys had Aaron Jones pegged as a late round pick and reportedly were prepared to pick him with one of the late round picks before Packers swooped Jones away from us.
I have my doubts that we pick a RB early within 1-3 rounds, especially with Zeke and Pollard still here. but it's not out of the question with a valued back mid to late rounds,..imo.

- Yeh, i agree that we draft RB early next year strongly assuming 2022 is the very likely end of the Cowboys career for Zeke... Early round backs are usually plug and play immediately
or very strong share touches guys Keep an eye on next year crop of RBs, - and that's not necessarily saying it has to be a first round back.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry does post on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we get us some more CB's too?

kskboys

Reaction score

Max Borghi in the 3rd/4th. Nick Chubb clone.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Unless it's a blue chip WR that somehow does a CeeDee Lamb and totally slides to Cowboys 1st rd spot a 24th overall, ..i just do not see us drafting a WR 1st rd.
Imo, Cowboys not gonna draft another WR in 1st rd, when they have already tied up high investments in both Lamb (to be lead feature) ..and Gallup re-signed to big contract)
I do expect a WR in at least in either 2nd or 3rd rd... ( Remember Gallup was a 3rd rd pick) .

- This is how i see it going in first 3 rounds ... DE, OG, WR, ..
DE i could see in the first rd. (remember TJ Watt ? or Bucs edge Joe Tryon? ) so never know who mysteriously could fall as great value.
- McClay may only draft a OG that they see as great Fredrick late round type value. But i vastly expect an OG within first 2 rounds.
- WR with either 2nd or 3rd round.
- Could there be a sleeper TE in the 4th round.
- more and more i expect Cowboys to trade back and pick up at least a 3rd rd pick.. We traded back a couple of picks with Philly Eagles,

- Tight End ? Only if the Cowboys peg a TE that is immediate and long term starter and superlatively better than Shultz.
Supposedly a deep TE class, not a stand out blue chipper in the first round.
Despite the disasterous Gavin Escobar pick in 2nd rd, i'll still trust McClay on this one. He did rebound with Schultz in the 4th rd/middle rd pick.

- Cowboys once had Niners LBs Fred Warner, Greenlaw on their draft boards as mid to late round picks, ..yes we missed out on both, but don't be surprised
if they go this route again with another developmental off ball LB to compete with Jabril Cox and LVE.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB on average is one of the best position for immediate contributions.
- i.e. They can wait until next year and still get a starter in the 2nd round.

TE is a big need, but it must be a complete TE than can block as well as catch.

3 WR sets are the base offense. The 3rd WR is a starter.