Weddle & Forte

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Read this a few minutes ago and wanted to post. Hard to argue with either if it happens.

The 2015 NFL season ended just about three weeks ago with the Broncos' win over Carolina in Super Bowl 50.

Then again, the NFL is never really out of season. Free agency is set to begin and, as usual, some big names are likely to change teams.

Speculation runs wild this time of year ... which new teams would be the right fit for which available free agents?

NFL Media analyst Elliot Harrison speculates that the Cowboys would be a great fit for two prime free agents.

The first is versatile Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte. The Cowboys are among four teams (New England, Washington and Tampa Bay are the others) listed as great fits for Forte. Though Darren McFadden performed admirably in 2015, the Cowboys need a running back. And few have been as productive as the Bears' Forte, who excels as a runner and a receiver. The problem would be Forte's age (he's 30) and how much he might cost.

The other is San Diego safety Eric Weddle. Harrison lists the Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders as great fits for the playmaking safety.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mine as well but I wouldn't cringe if Forte came aboard but I think he ends up with the Pats when it is all said and done.

I think Forte is a fine player, but if he's not in decline already, he soon will be. You would get two years out of him at best and then quickly be looking for your starter again. McFadden will be out the door soon too, I'd rather not add even more age at a position where guys get old real quick.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think Forte is a fine player, but if he's not in decline already, he soon will be. You would get two years out of him at best and then quickly be looking for your starter again. McFadden will be out the door soon too, I'd rather not add even more age at a position where guys get old real quick.

He's 29. A little life still in those legs. He's a good 3 down back as well.

A good running back group would be:

Forte
McFadden
Dunbar
strong drafted player

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's 29. A little life still in those legs. He's a good 3 down back as well.

Actually, he turned 30 in December.

A good running back group would be:

Forte
McFadden
Dunbar
strong drafted player

No disrespect to you intended, but I would flat out hate that group. And having to spend a draft pick on top of it.

Forte being old. McFadden's age and injury history, and Dunbar's injuries making him a completely unreliable niche player.

Have to give that a big 'ol thumbs down good sir!

:thumbdown:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Actually, he turned 30 in December.

No disrespect to you intended, but I would flat out hate that group. And having to spend a draft pick on top of it.

Forte being old. McFadden's age and injury history, and Dunbar's injuries making him a completely unreliable niche player.

Have to give that a big 'ol thumbs down good sir!

:thumbdown:

Use Dunbar more of a role similar to Beasley. A third or fourth rounder as a backup. I have to disagree on the status of McFadden and Forte, They could share a load at a high level, and between them, top 1700 yards. Two seasons with flex on a future running back.

But I see you are geared to the future, and understand...