CFZ Week 1 - likely players for 54 & 55

Jumbo075

Reaction score
CB Nahshon Wright was put on short-term I/R, and LS Trent Sieg was resigned to the roster to replace him.
OT Matt Waletzko was put on short-term I/R, and OT Chuma Edoga was resigned to the roster to replace him.

The Cowboys have signed 14 players to their 16 man Practice Squad, including Centers Brock Hoffman and Sean Harlow. They are likely to promote one of them to the Active Roster in week 1 to back-up Tyler Biadasz.
  • Hoffman is a 2nd year player that has never started an NFL game. He spent 2022 on the Cowboys' Practice Squad after being signed as an undrafted free agent and spending training camp with the Cleveland Browns. But he is familiar with the Cowboys' blocking schemes since he spent training camp with them this season.
  • Harlow was drafted in 2017 in the 4th round by the Dan Quinn coached Atlanta Falcons. He spent 4 years bouncing between their 53-man roster and their Practice Squad. He played in only 1 game in 4 seasons with the Falcons. He then spent two years with the Arizona Cardinals, playing in 32 games, and starting 8 games at Center. He has more NFL experience, but is not conversant in the Cowboys offensive scheme.
The Cowboys signed special teams ace C.J. Goodwin to the Practice Squad. Most believe he will be activated to the roster in Week 1, and reprise his normal role as gunner on the Cowboys' special team. Note that Goodwin was kept out of preseason games, like many veteran players. The Cowboys trust him to be a valuable part of their special teams, and even though he's starting the year on the Practice Squad, don't be surprised if he is named the Special Teams captain for Week 1 - showing just how much the Cowboys value him.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The scouting report on Harlow looks awful. PFF had him with a 43.2 grade. In about three games of action he gave up 2 sacks and had a penalty.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Sorry but it's Hoffman and Goodwin. Harlow has under 11 days to learn the blocking schemes here assuming he's ready to roll by tomorrow.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The scouting report on Harlow looks awful. PFF had him with a 43.2 grade. In about three games of action he gave up 2 sacks and had a penalty.
Remember, we are talking about a backup lineman, this is the type of production you see around the league.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Sorry but it's Hoffman and Goodwin. Harlow has under 11 days to learn the blocking schemes here assuming he's ready to roll by tomorrow.
What do they see in Hoffman? He looked awful in the preseason. No anchor and just seemed clueless. HE certainly doesn't seem to have any position flex either...and I don't think Farniok was horrible at LG when he played it. Just seems weird. Saw a list of 4 guys that sounded better than the guy we nabbed.

tayloner

Reaction score
Agreed that it's almost certainly Hoffman and Goodwin weeks 1 through 3. Then, if everyone stayed perfectly healthy, they'd probably cut Sieg and sign him to the PS and move Goodwin up to the active roster, and have it be Harlow and Sieg weeks 4 through 6.

But, everyone won't stay perfectly healthy and this will change I'm sure.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
What do they see in Hoffman? He looked awful in the preseason. No anchor and just seemed clueless. HE certainly doesn't seem to have any position flex either...and I don't think Farniok was horrible at LG when he played it. Just seems weird. Saw a list of 4 guys that sounded better than the guy we nabbed.
Agree with you on Hoffman....not sure how he stuck like gum on your shoe. As much i did not like Farniok either, i felt the Cowboys were gonna keep him because he backed up Biadasz at C. And you don't have much else after that. C is one position i would hope they address early in next year's draft. Get a stud center because i don't know if they are completely sold on Biadasz for the future.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Should and would have been Farniok as backup Center right now, but like Mickey Spagnola mentioned, Farniok refused to be signed to the practice squad after he was upset for being cut. For anyone thinking possibly he didn't truly want to be a Dallas Cowboy, this is what Farniok had posted (and still has posted) on his Twitter account when he was drafted in the 7th Round by the Cowboys in 2021...

Screenshot-20230830-094633-X.jpg

He probably took it very hard suddenly getting cut...thinking he would once again make the 53.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Should and would have been Farniok as backup Center right now, but like Mickey Spagnola mentioned, Farniok refused to be signed to the practice squad after he was upset for being cut. For anyone thinking possibly he didn't truly want to be a Dallas Cowboy, this is what Farniok had posted (and still has posted) on his Twitter account when he was drafted in the 7th Round by the Cowboys in 2021...

He probably took it very hard suddenly getting cut...thinking he would once again make the 53.
Practice squad is better than no squad.

DanA

Reaction score
It seems most likely that it will be out of a centre, McKeon, and Goodwin. I assumed Goodwin would find a way on to the 53 immediately but that doesn't seem the case.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would hope Farniok’s agent is talking to him about being realistic. As of this morning, no other team had picked him up. Being frustrated about being cut is understandable but the Cowboys apparently think more of him than the rest of the league. And NFL teams are starved for decent OL.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
CB Nahshon Wright was put on short-term I/R, and LS Trent Sieg was resigned to the roster to replace him.
OT Matt Waletzko was put on short-term I/R, and OT Chuma Edoga was resigned to the roster to replace him.

The Cowboys have signed 14 players to their 16 man Practice Squad, including Centers Brock Hoffman and Sean Harlow. They are likely to promote one of them to the Active Roster in week 1 to back-up Tyler Biadasz.
  • Hoffman is a 2nd year player that has never started an NFL game. He spent 2022 on the Cowboys' Practice Squad after being signed as an undrafted free agent and spending training camp with the Cleveland Browns. But he is familiar with the Cowboys' blocking schemes since he spent training camp with them this season.
  • Harlow was drafted in 2017 in the 4th round by the Dan Quinn coached Atlanta Falcons. He spent 4 years bouncing between their 53-man roster and their Practice Squad. He played in only 1 game in 4 seasons with the Falcons. He then spent two years with the Arizona Cardinals, playing in 32 games, and starting 8 games at Center. He has more NFL experience, but is not conversant in the Cowboys offensive scheme.
The Cowboys signed special teams ace C.J. Goodwin to the Practice Squad. Most believe he will be activated to the roster in Week 1, and reprise his normal role as gunner on the Cowboys' special team. Note that Goodwin was kept out of preseason games, like many veteran players. The Cowboys trust him to be a valuable part of their special teams, and even though he's starting the year on the Practice Squad, don't be surprised if he is named the Special Teams captain for Week 1 - showing just how much the Cowboys value him.
CJ Goodwin starting to turn into the second coming of Bill Bates.