CFZ Week 1 round up and observations of the NFL

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So for my meaningless opnions about week 1, plus last nights game.

There will be many interesting matchups come Sunday and Monday night. Not that we can really tell about any team until November.
But sometimes good it good, bad is bad (Huey Lewis reference there).

Dallas whips the NYG, as the Bills gave away the game to the Jets. NYG are expected to be a playoff contender again. So we will see how they bounce back.
Cardinals probably should have beat Washington. So will NYG at Cards really tell us anything, probably not.
However Jets at Cowboys is a good test for our offense. As well, can our defense stop NYJ running as they seemed good, but not great.

How will Washington look against Denver.
Philly lucky to be 2-0, just like last year. They won many games they could have, probably should have lost. They are still good, and still very lucky.

SF, dominated Pittsburgh. I think this was more how bad Pittsburgh played as opposed to how good SF is. For which they are pretty dang good. I won't take anything away from them for whipping up on a team.
Rams won and looked good against a Seattle team that was to challenge SF. We will see how the Rams and SF play on Sunday.
Pittsburgh host the Browns coming off beating slow starting Bengals.

Baltimore at Cincinnati. Bengals must rebound for another divisional game. Baltimore for awhile struggled against the Texans.
Seattle at Detroit, so can the Lions keep up the momentum after a big. win over KC.
KC at Jacksonville, will be interesting as well. AFCCG preview. no, too early for that, but will be good to watch.

Not many interesting matchups after these. Except to see how the Dolphins do at Patriots.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, and there are 2 games on Monday night this week. Also in week 3.

I am not impressed with the Eagles after 2 games. But 2-0 is still 2-0. They still will need to be contended with.
I said all off-season. we closed the gap on them. And though way too early to say, looks like we did.
However, they have a new OC & DC, but they should improve as the season goes along. I mean, if we expect to improve, then we should expect them to as well.

We just need to take care of our own business and keep winning. Especially the games we are supposed to win.

Verdict

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to watching the Cowboys vs a Rodgers led Jets team. I really believed that the Cowboys would put a beating on Rodgers. I am sorry to see that will not happen.

The Jets defense should have been a really good test for the Cowboys, but not having an offense really puts stress on a defense. If the Cowboys are legitimate contenders, then the Cowboys should beat the brakes off of the Jets.

The Cowboys have the luxury of focusing on the Jets’ running game now with Rodgers out. I expect the Jets to have a hard time putting points on the board against this defense.

The wild card is turnovers. I think MM reigned Dak in last week, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that again. Unless the Cowboys turn the ball over I don’t see the Jets having much of a chance this game.

I think MM plays the odds, keeps the reigns tight on Dak and we win this by 10. If Kellen Moore were still the OC we might win this one by 40 or lose it by 7-10 and he would be playing wide open. I think MM plays the odds and cuts off the Jets’ wind.

Motorola

Reaction score
So for my meaningless opnions about week 1, plus last nights game.

There will be many interesting matchups come Sunday and Monday night. Not that we can really tell about any team until November.
But sometimes good it good, bad is bad (Huey Lewis reference there).

Dallas whips the NYG, as the Bills gave away the game to the Jets. NYG are expected to be a playoff contender again. So we will see how they bounce back.
Cardinals probably should have beat Washington. So will NYG at Cards really tell us anything, probably not.
However Jets at Cowboys is a good test for our offense. As well, can our defense stop NYJ running as they seemed good, but not great.

How will Washington look against Denver.
Philly lucky to be 2-0, just like last year. They won many games they could have, probably should have lost. They are still good, and still very lucky.

SF, dominated Pittsburgh. I think this was more how bad Pittsburgh played as opposed to how good SF is. For which they are pretty dang good. I won't take anything away from them for whipping up on a team.
Rams won and looked good against a Seattle team that was to challenge SF. We will see how the Rams and SF play on Sunday.
Pittsburgh host the Browns coming off beating slow starting Bengals.

Baltimore at Cincinnati. Bengals must rebound for another divisional game. Baltimore for awhile struggled against the Texans.
Seattle at Detroit, so can the Lions keep up the momentum after a big. win over KC.
KC at Jacksonville, will be interesting as well. AFCCG preview. no, too early for that, but will be good to watch.

Not many interesting matchups after these. Except to see how the Dolphins do at Patriots.
2023 is season 4 of the Joe Burrow era; will the Bengals continue to start slow/ struggle as they've done the previous three years___
2020: began 0-2, 1-5-1 after 7 games
2021: began 1-1, 3-2 after 5 games
2022: began 0-2, 2-3 after 5 games

Perhaps my bias since I live in the ATL...but I think the matchup between Green Bay and Atlanta is interesting.
Jordan Love got the first win as he takes over the Packers - can he keep it going in another road game.

On the other side, 2nd year QB Desmond Ridder can endear himself to the Falcons fans if he and the Dirty Birds get a 2nd straight home victory. He will have a lot of help to make it happen - TE Kyle Pitts is back from an injury-shortened 2022, WR Drake London coming off a very good 1st season, along with RB surprise Tyler Allgeier, triple-threat Cordarrelle Patterson - and joining them all is rookie Bijan Robinson.
(The former Longhorn RB scored his 1st NFL TD on a reception.)

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'll be watching Buffalo, Cincinatti, Detroit, SF, Philadelphia, KC, Baltimore, Cleveland for about three weeks from this weekend.