Week 17 Flex?

jzcowboy

Reaction score
NFL can really flex muscles in Week 17
Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Flex scheduling
To those waiting for the NFL to announce its flex scheduling plan for the final week of the regular season, you will have to wait a little longer. Deciding which contest is chosen for the Sunday night prime-time game on NBC normally is done 12 days prior to the game — meaning today would be the day to learn who will close out the 2008 regular season (there is no Monday night game in Week 17).
However, the flex scheduling rule is, well, flexible for the final week. To ensure the season ends with a meaningful game, the NFL does not have to make the final flex decision until after this Sunday’s games.
If the decision had to be made today, it’s hard to imagine the Week 17 Sunday night game wouldn’t be Dolphins-Jets, with Chad Pennington returning to the Meadowlands for a game that could decide the AFC East title.
But what if both of those teams lose in Week 16, and the Patriots take control of the division? What if Denver fails to clinch the AFC West this week, and the Broncos-Chargers game becomes a winner-take-all?
The other two games of Week 17 that could have huge playoff implications for both teams are Giants at Vikings and Cowboys at Eagles. While those games are in play, keep this in mind: Through the first six weeks of the flex scheduling, five of the six games tabbed for Sunday night were FOX games.
So nothing will be set until after the Week 16 games, but you can probably draw your own conclusions based on those results.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
If the Cowboys/Eagles game means who gets in and who doesn't, I am 100% sure this will be the game.

It will bring the best ratings BY FAR, and I mean it wouldn't even be close to any of those other games.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If it winds up coming down to that then I agree the Cowboys game would probably be flexed into that spot without a second thought.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ajk23az;2500154 said:
If the Cowboys/Eagles game means who gets in and who doesn't, I am 100% sure this will be the game.

It will bring the best ratings BY FAR, and I mean it wouldn't even be close to any of those other games.

Sports talk hear in Houston was saying it would not happen because both Philly and Dallas have played the max games you can on Primetime games like Sunday, Monday and Thursday night football. Supposedly you can play up to 6 and no more.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ajk23az;2500154 said:

I guarantee it won't be. FOX will protect that game. No way they lose both Philly/Dallas match ups in one season. FOX has lost 3 Dallas vs. the NFC East battles to primetime this year and only aired two of them. They want that game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2500207 said:
Sports talk hear in Houston was saying it would not happen because both Philly and Dallas have played the max games you can on Primetime games like Sunday, Monday and Thursday night football. Supposedly you can play up to 6 and no more.

SNF
Dallas/GB
Dallas/Washinton
Dallas/NY Giants

MNF
Dallas/Philly

NFLN
Dallas/Baltimore

That is only 5 primtime games for Dallas this season. They played in 6 last season, so they are eligible to be flexed unless there is a specific limit on the number of SNF games allowed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
joseephuss;2500215 said:
I guarantee it won't be. FOX will protect that game. No way they lose both Philly/Dallas match ups in one season. FOX has lost 3 Dallas vs. the NFC East battles to primetime this year and only aired two of them. They want that game.
Thats a very good point. And its the 4:00 game anyways so its not like it probably won't have to compete with a CBS game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;2500221 said:
SNF
Dallas/GB
Dallas/Washinton
Dallas/NY Giants

MNF
Dallas/Philly

NFLN
Dallas/Baltimore

That is only 5 primtime games for Dallas this season. They played in 6 last season, so they are eligible to be flexed unless there is a specific limit on the number of SNF games allowed.

Cool thanks for the info. I was not sure just heard them talking on Houston Sports radio. The other topic was in 3 years who will be the better team Dallas or Houston? :D

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2500221 said:
SNF
Dallas/GB
Dallas/Washinton
Dallas/NY Giants

MNF
Dallas/Philly

NFLN
Dallas/Baltimore

4-0 under the lights, 1-0 on Thanksgiving. Hmmmm.

Smith22

Reaction score
joseephuss;2500215 said:

Wasn't it posted the other day that the final weeks game are not up for "protection"?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
WG5516;2500246 said:
The Boys only had 5 primetime games this yr, the max is 6.

Is that counting Saturday nights game? Cause I believe this Saturday is considered one of their primetime games. Not sure though.

WG5516

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2500257 said:
Is that counting Saturday nights game? Cause I believe this Saturday is considered one of their primetime games. Not sure though.

Yes that game is included. I hope we get another primetime game because we've played well in them.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2500245 said:
Cool thanks for the info. I was not sure just heard them talking on Houston Sports radio. The other topic was in 3 years who will be the better team Dallas or Houston? :D

They have that discussion every year on Houston sports talk radio.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Only 3 teams can play more than 5 primetime games.

Philly has played 5 as well.

We could be flexed

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;2500300 said:
They have that discussion every year on Houston sports talk radio.

True. Right now their team is playing pretty good ball and when I look at their team I don't see any real big reasons why they should not be optimistic. However living in Houston I would be happy to see them continue to struggle. :laugh1:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2500310 said:
True. Right now their team is playing pretty good ball and when I look at their team I don't see any real big reasons why they should not be optimistic. However living in Houston I would be happy to see them continue to struggle. :laugh1:

Considering all of the advantages they were given as an expansion franchise they have had poor results over all. They are playing well right now and Andre Johnson is a beast.

Just a little comparison.

Dallas
first 7 seasons as an expansion franchise
96 games played(first season was a 12 game schedule and the rest were 14 game schedules)
35 wins
56 losses
5 ties
39.06% winning percentage
made the playoffs in their 7th season

Houston Texans
currently in their 7th season as an expansion franchise
110 games(16 game schedule with 2 remaining this season)
39 wins
71 losses
0 ties
35.45% winning percentage
Yet to make a playoff appearance. Maybe this year, but that is a long shot.

And since Houston hangs their hat on that they beat a poor Dallas team to begin their franchise. Dallas has gone on to a 61-49(55.45%) record over the last 7 seasons and has 3 playoff appearances in that time.