Weird Mouse problem...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has never happened to me in the many years I have been on computers.

I have had this optical mouse at work for close to a year...never a problem with it in the past.

However two times today I have went on break, came back and when to left click with the mouse and have been shocked...like a static shock, a loud pop and I feel it.
Then the mouse dies...just locks up but everything else works fine.

I have to unplug and restart the computer before it will work again.

Odd thing is I touch the door handle and do not get a shock and only take a couple of steps to my computer so I doubt it has time for static to build back up that quickly.

So I just changed the mouse out.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had that problem or has ever even heard of it.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
It's been a while since you posted this but I've seen it before.

Actually I've seen it a couple of times... once when I was a tech and it was because of a short inside the mouse and the other time I don't know what was causing it, but it went away when I stopped using mouse pads and would just sit the mouse on the computer desk top instead

Now... if I could just figure out why my cordless mouse released the genies "magic smoke" the other day, smelt like burning wires but continued to work. I took it apart and there were no burn marks, melts, shorts, etc... I'm still using it and the genie is back in it's bottle... but I can't figure out why it smoked in the first place... And no it didn't just have fun with the optical mouse and need a cigarette... :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I replaced it with another optical mouse...and occasional still have a static pop, but this mouse never locks up so maybe the other did have a short.

Funny thing is I still use the other mouse on the other computer in my office and have not had a problem at all with it since the switch.