Wentz or trade down

31smackdown

Reaction score
Running through several mock draft scenarios, I'm starting to favor a Wentz or trade down scenario.

What I'm noticing in a lot of mocks is that their is a lot of good value in round 2 and a lot of the same tier players in round 1. I'm not a fan of Bosa or Ramsey or Zeke at 4. Bosa would be justified if you think he is going to be a star, I just see more of a solid player though. That makes Tunsil, Wentz and maybe Goff as the only players I value as worth top 4 that you can't similar value later down. I just think Wentz is the best fit for the Cowboys overall and you would have to take him at the 4 spot.

Straight Draft Wentz scenario - first 4 rounds(staying at 4)
4 - Wentz
34 - DE/DT DPA - Butler, Nkemdiche,
67 - Tough choice here - BPA - Nick Martin, Karl Joseph, LB/DE/DT that falls
101 - RB - BPA - Booker, Collins, etc.. Good RB value should be available still, more than other positions
135 - S/CB/WR/G BPA

1 starter, 1 high contributor, possible starter, Backup RB and legitimate consensus potential future QB

Straight Draft no Wentz
4 - Bosa
34 - Do you take another DE/DT here or S? too early for RB value or second tier Qb
67 - probably need to take you second tier QB here - Prescott, Cook, etc..
101 - RB value pick
135 - 3rd tier S/CB/WR/G

You end up with 2 Defensive starters and a backup RB - less likely future NFL QB

Trade down - Rams - Dallas gets 15,43,45,76 = 2180 pts, LA gets 4, 67 and 101 = 2151 pts

Rams take Goff
Dallas takes:
15 - BPA DL/CB - Rankins, Robinson,Lawson, Hargreaves, etc..
34 - BPA DL/CB
43 - BPA DL/CB/S
45 - BPA DL/CB/S/WR/LB/RB
76 - BPA QB/RB
135 - 3rd tier S/CB/WR/G/LB

3-4 potential starters , higher grade potential future QB/RB and special teams/backup/development player

Unless you think that Bosa or Ramsey are in their own tier, there is no reason to pick them at 4. Any trade that results in Dallas getting a top 15 pick ( 49ers, Bears, etc..) and a second rounder is likely to have a larger impact on the team. If you go RB early, you will miss out on the RB value later in the draft vs other positions. WR also tends to play out that way if you take a WR in rnd 1 or 2.