Were the Cowboys really that good or were the Saints really that bad?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the question I had uppermost in my mind when I went to sleep last night...

Clearly there was a major talent differential between the two teams, but were the Cowboys that far above them on offense and defense.

Yeah it's preseason, so I'm not fully ready to drink the koolaid yet. But when both the 1st and 2nd teams run up and down the field as if they were doing 7-on-7s and the defense only made cameo appearances, it's hard not to get excited.

They play the 49ers next week so that's no barometer and then by the time the 'boys play Minny, won't be able to tell anything cuz players will be battling for final roster spots.

So were they just that good or were the Saints just that bad? When do you begin to believe that this team is something special, even with all its warts?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Probably a bit of both. Both Will Smith and Charles Grant are formidable DE's, yet they couldn't do anything against Flozell and Fabini. The rest of the Saints defense I'm not nutty about, but Bledsoe was on fire and the receivers caught everything.

Brees seemed a bit off, but we tackled pretty well and the corners covered pretty well. We also only had 2 penalties.

Rich........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I felt Dallas executed very well on both sides of the ball, by no means do I think the Saints are a top notch team but for a pre-season I have to say I was happy with the play and even happier to get out without any injuries.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich said:
Probably a bit of both. Both Will Smith and Charles Grant are formidable DE's, yet they couldn't do anything against Flozell and Fabini. The rest of the Saints defense I'm not nutty about, but Bledsoe was on fire and the receivers caught everything.

Brees seemed a bit off, but we tackled pretty well and the corners covered pretty well. We also only had 2 penalties.

Rich........

Good call.

It was a little bit of both.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i think both, but there was PLENTY to be encouraged about.

starting with 3 three and outs for the first team defense to start the game. that's amazing anytime!

dallasfan31

Reaction score
we that good ithink saints got a pretty good team. saints going supries people this season they got talent.

CalMor

Reaction score
dallasfan31 said:
we that good ithink saints got a pretty good team. saints going supries people this season they got talent.

:confused: Do you really speak this way?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Saints have some talent but they were clearly out of sync and playing poorly.

Dallas is very talented and the offense was just glad to not be facing our own defense:)
Can you imagine how good it must feel for a guy like Terry Glenn to not face Newman every down?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Saint suck right now. But you know what? Good teams in this league are the ones that always beat teams they should.

If we can simply beat the Saint-like teams of the league every time we play them - Ten, Hou, NO, AZ, Det. If we simply roll over those 5 and go 6-5 in the other games, we'd have a great season.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Good call.

It was a little bit of both.

Why didn't you compliment me too? I said it first with me "yes" answer. You're always kissing up to the members here.

:( ;)

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Did you notice Fajita starting at LB? After the DE, the talent levels falls off

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I asked myself that question as well. I really think the Saints are just really that bad. And when their backup secondary took the field it reminded of all our extremley green Cornerbacks back in 2004 (frazier, reeves, jones, Hunter etc etc)..ugh.

- Mike G.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
The Cowboys have many strengths, but the Saints are bad.

The productivity of the Dallas offense was encouraging, but was also aided by a couple of key penalties against the Saints.

The Cowboys pass blocking was inconsistent, but generally good enough.

The run blocking was pretty bad.

I come away thinking that this OL is going to have a difficult time with run blocking even if T.O. and the rest don't allow opposing defenses to put 8 men in the box.

Opposing defenses aren't going to NEED to put 8 men in the box vs. the Dallas offensive line.

phillycard

Reaction score
I really feel if that was a full game, you guys would have won going away. I just saw such lethargic play from the Saints until that last drive before the half that I feel it was no contest. Bledsoe was having a field day back there.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...Saints are beyond evaluating positions at this point in the preseason.

Where the Cowboys may be set in the majority of the positions I think Payton is still learning where the office copying room is.

They made a comment in yesterday's telecast that when Payton joined the team he told all the players that he would not stand in their way if they wanted to leave the team. I think they said that eight starters bolted.

He's got a lot of work to do before the season starts.

For the Cowboys our best impression of what this team is going to be will come after the Philly game when we have absorbed our bye and finished 1/4 of the season. Then we will know if this team has a chance.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
That was the question I had uppermost in my mind when I went to sleep last night...

Clearly there was a major talent differential between the two teams, but were the Cowboys that far above them on offense and defense.

Yeah it's preseason, so I'm not fully ready to drink the koolaid yet. But when both the 1st and 2nd teams run up and down the field as if they were doing 7-on-7s and the defense only made cameo appearances, it's hard not to get excited.

They play the 49ers next week so that's no barometer and then by the time the 'boys play Minny, won't be able to tell anything cuz players will be battling for final roster spots.

So were they just that good or were the Saints just that bad? When do you begin to believe that this team is something special, even with all its warts?

could be a mix but we did beat Seattle too..:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Too me it does not matter who your playing in pre-season this is a chance to see guys getting some live action and all about executing the plays and timing. Lastnight we cut down on penalties and I felt executed very well on both sides of the ball.