WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brad Johnson on starting
3:08 PM Mon, Oct 13, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Brad Johnson is now the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, at least for a couple weeks. Tony Romo was injured in overtime Sunday.

"Obviously, it's unfortunate for Tony," Johnson said. "He means a lot to this team."

Johnson has been through this before, both times in Minnesota. In 1996 he replaced Warren Moon and in 2006 Dante Culpepper.

"I'm excited about the opportunity," he said.

Johnson says the focus of his job will be managing the huddle.

"We're going to run 90 percent of the same plays," he said. "Just go out and play like I've always played and be the person that I am. They don't need to rally around me, we just need to rally around each other."

The 40-year-old, 17-year veteran says he saw Romo's pinky finger injury and started to warm up in Arizona, but the Cowboys punt was blocked and returned for a touchdown. The Cowboys lost 30-24.

"There's a little bit of shock value that goes in to it," Johnson said. "The shock value gets over pretty quick."

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2334832 said:
Brad Johnson on starting
3:08 PM Mon, Oct 13, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Brad Johnson is now the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, at least for a couple weeks. Tony Romo was injured in overtime Sunday.

"Obviously, it's unfortunate for Tony," Johnson said. "He means a lot to this team."

Johnson has been through this before, both times in Minnesota. In 1996 he replaced Warren Moon and in 2006 Dante Culpepper.

"I'm excited about the opportunity," he said.

Johnson says the focus of his job will be managing the huddle.

"We're going to run 90 percent of the same plays," he said. "Just go out and play like I've always played and be the person that I am. They don't need to rally around me, we just need to rally around each other."

The 40-year-old, 17-year veteran says he saw Romo's pinky finger injury and started to warm up in Arizona, but the Cowboys punt was blocked and returned for a touchdown. The Cowboys lost 30-24.

"There's a little bit of shock value that goes in to it," Johnson said. "The shock value gets over pretty quick."

I hope Johnson plays to his best ability,cause I'm afraid he'll remind us of Bledstone.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2334841 said:
Man this is so lame. Our offense won't score more than 20 with Brad in there.

We'll maybe that defense will play with more urgency knowing the margain of error has now been taken away.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

BJ won a superbowl, I'm sure he can run an offense.

ddh33

Reaction score
Brad Johnson can manage a game. He'll get the ball out quickly, and hopefully the receivers will be open and able to catch it.

I'm hoping that this will cause the entire team to look at how they have been handling things. Maybe something good can come out of this, and when Tony gets back, the team can really get rolling.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brad Johnson not worried about his arm strength
3:23 PM Mon, Oct 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Brad Johnson's nickname is "Bull." But he's also been known as Brad "Check Down" Johnson. People must think that the 40-year-old hasn't got it anymore. But Johnson joked that he didn't have super arm strength as a teenager, either.

"I've been answering that question since I was in middle school," Johnson said. "It's the same question, same answer. I said it when I was 28 and I said it when I was 34. My game hasn't really changed It's the same game for me, the way I played. I never outran anybody in middle school, never outran anybody in high school or college. That's not my game.

"My deal is to make the read, make the throw, execute the play, go through the progressions, go through the next play. That's kind of the mantra I live by."

Comments (6) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
at least this will have Garrett make this O less dependent on the vertical passing game

Asklesko

Reaction score
Johnson won the Super Bowl with the Bucs. If our defense can play strong... Oh who am I kidding?

FCBarca

Reaction score
Unless they implement an offense like the one Jason Campbell has where they dink & dunk down the field, Brad will need 7 or 8 seconds in the pocket to throw a ball no more than 15 yards.

I have a sneaking suspicion the sacks allowed are about to rise

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2335229 said:
at least this will have Garrett make this O less dependent on the vertical passing game
Yep, but now defenses will sit on the short routes.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think we'll be fine. All we've got to do is win 2 out of these next 3 games before the bye to stay comfortably in the playoff race. If this team has any backbone whatsoever, they'll come out and play some inspired ball, which should be enough to outpoint 2 out of the next 3 opponents on the schedule.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I have a feeling Brad's going to surprise a lot of folks on this board. He knows the game and he understands the flow, even moreso than Romo. This could be an opportunity for this team for find themselves. So far, I think they are still looking for their identity.

This is why I think it's going to work: 1) defenses will put 8-9 in the box and make BJ beat them. 2) opportunities for the WR will open up. 3) dinking and dunking the ball isn't a bad thing. It chews up the clock.

So long as we win, I don't care what the score is. This is an opportunity for the team to focus and make sure they are taking care of business.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
FCBarca;2335264 said:
Unless they implement an offense like the one Jason Campbell has where they dink & dunk down the field, Brad will need 7 or 8 seconds in the pocket to throw a ball no more than 15 yards.

I have a sneaking suspicion the sacks allowed are about to rise
That's an overexaggeration.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2335355 said:
I have a feeling Brad's going to surprise a lot of folks on this board. He knows the game and he understands the flow, even moreso than Romo. This could be an opportunity for this team for find themselves. So far, I think they are still looking for their identity.

This is why I think it's going to work: 1) defenses will put 8-9 in the box and make BJ beat them. 2) opportunities for the WR will open up. 3) dinking and dunking the ball isn't a bad thing. It chews up the clock.

So long as we win, I don't care what the score is. This is an opportunity for the team to focus and make sure they are taking care of business.
:hammer:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2335229 said:

I agree with you on this. I think we can win with him during the next three games. I just wish Felix Jones wasn't out. However, Choice gets his shot. He is a good player.

We need a punter, and we need to get Roy Williams, Kozier, and Watkins back.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Sure they will. Johnson is an excellent short-term solution and will have no problem moving the offense for a couple of weeks. That's all he needs to do until Romo returns.

Most around the league are applauding dallas for having the foresight to keep a vet around for just this circumstance.

Example:

" Give the Cowboys credit for recognizing the importance of having a quality backup quarterback. Sure, the offense will take a major downshift with Brad Johnson in the lineup, but he's been around the block, he'll make good decisions, you can win games with him. The Titans and Bucs saved their seasons because they realized the value of an experienced backup; the Patriots will ultimately fall at the sword of Matt Cassel. "