WFAA Blog: Romo: 49ers didn't try to shutdown T.O.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:37 PM Sun, Nov 23, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel
Tony Romo said the 49ers are the first team in a while not to make a particular effort to shut Terrell Owens down.

"They didn't do anything special to take him out of the game," Romo said. "Their number one focus wasn't to take him out of the game."

Despite a recent interview with Deion Sanders criticizing the Cowboys offense, Romo described Owens as a great teammate.

"It's a receiver who wants the football," said Romo, who added T.O. hasn't asked him specifically to get the ball more.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's not that they didn't try. It's just that it wasn't their main focus. They wanted to shut down our running game. It makes sense considering how the running game was against the Commanders and with Romo still wearing a splint.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
theogt;2439155 said:
It's not that they didn't try. It's just that it wasn't their main focus. They wanted to shut down our running game. It makes sense considering how the running game was against the Commanders and with Romo still wearing a splint.

Yep, you could see clearly, they were not doubling him unlike other games so far this year. And they loaded up on Run and it worked, detrimental to other aspects of their Defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agre. This is the gameplan I thought the Commanders would do. Make Romo throw it with the splint on his finger.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
theogt;2439155 said:

Exactly.

Quite frankly, all of this bellyaching about the running game is baffling to me.

There's a reason TO had only the second 200 yard receiving game of his career today: The 49ers were so intent on stopping Barber that they surrendered big plays elsewhere.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2439167 said:
Yep, you could see clearly, they were not doubling him unlike other games so far this year. And they loaded up on Run and it worked, detrimental to other aspects of their Defense.

Shows some of the weaknesses of having a guy like Singletary as coach. An old school guy who has no head coach experience. "Stop the run and the win will all come" doesn't work on offensive teams like ours. I was reading some of his post game comments and he didn't put any importance on covering TO. Coaches took advantage of that.

In terms of offensive game plan, Martz put an emphasis on taking advantage of our corners which has been done in previous years. This year we are better blitzing so we were able to take advantage of their predictability. They are a much better team now than earlier in the year, glad we got the win.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This is where I think having Roy Williams here, and having Romo back, is going to allow this team to get into that pick your poison mode. IF you want to try and slow down the pass we're going to run, like against the Skins last week. If you decide to load up and kill the run we're going to hit you over the top with big offensive passing plays.

If the team can continue to improve each week, and continue to do things like this, we're going to be tough to beat.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2439180 said:
Exactly.

Quite frankly, all of this bellyaching about the running game is baffling to me.

There's a reason TO had only the second 200 yard receiving game of his career today: The 49ers were so intent on stopping Barber that they surrendered big plays elsewhere.

Exactly. And here's the deal...we ran the ball 25 times between Barber and Choice and it was clear the Niners weren't going to let us beat them with the running game.

I mean how many times did those two guys have to run it into the brick wall of the Niners sold out run defense before the fans who are unhappy with us not running it enough decide "Ok, maybe that's not working so well."

30 times? 35 times?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2439185 said:
Shows some of the weaknesses of having a guy like Singletary as coach. An old school guy who has no head coach experience. "Stop the run and the win will all come" doesn't work on offensive teams like ours. I was reading some of his post game comments and he didn't put any importance on covering TO. Coaches took advantage of that.

103.3 had a San Fran radio guy on before the game, and he was surprisingly down on Singletary. Said Mike is not an X and O guy (which this guy thought you need to be, citing Belichick) and that his lack of experience was a big negative. Also thought his rah-rah style would grow old fast. He thought there was very little chance Mike gets named coach after the interim period.

Kind of surprising to hear given the almost universal praise Mike has gotten. But he had some good points.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2439185 said:

In terms of offensive game plan, Martz put an emphasis on taking advantage of our corners which has been done in previous years. This year we are better blitzing so we were able to take advantage of their predictability. They are a much better team now than earlier in the year, glad we got the win.

But you know what, everything has a weakness. Singletary when it is all said and done, if he is given the time to turn that team around and to put his stamp, mentality etc on that organization, he will have a team that will be ahrd to beat. Yes, he is old school but not like Parcells, he wants a team that he can play man to man with his CBs and not have to worry about WRs having big days, but yet play those exotic coverages at times. I can see where he wants to take this team, but time is what he will need.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2439196 said:
103.3 had a San Fran radio guy on before the game, and he was surprisingly down on Singletary. Said Mike is not an X and O guy (which this guy thought you need to be, citing Belichick) and that his lack of experience was a big negative. Also thought his rah-rah style would grow old fast. He thought there was very little chance Mike gets named coach after the interim period.

Kind of surprising to hear given the almost universal praise Mike has gotten. But he had some good points.
I think it'd be strange to expect someone to be an effective head coach who hasn't ever written a playbook or called a defense or been responsible for picking talent.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2439196 said:

Media people like praising interim coaches until he gets a long term contract. That way he owes them something if he gets hired and does a few more interviews, but after hes set as coach they bring out the hearses.

But you know what, everything has a weakness. Singletary when it is all said and done, if he is given the time to turn that team around and to put his stamp, mentality etc on that organization, he will have a team that will be ahrd to beat. Yes, he is old school but not like Parcells, he wants a team that he can play man to man with his CBs and not have to worry about WRs having big days, but yet play those exotic coverages at times. I can see where he wants to take this team, but time is what he will need.

I don't know if he will be a good coach or not. Depends if they give him enough time to see how he turns out. 1.5 years is my rule, you start seeing draft pick results and team culture by then. I know our coaches tried to stop Gore, arguably the 49ers best player, and he averaged like 1.9 YPC at a point of the game. They did that. Special teams also didn't hurt us, our special teams did better than theirs when most expected it to be a liability. So I am happy with what we have.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2439148 said:
"It's a receiver who wants the football," said Romo, who added T.O. hasn't asked him specifically to get the ball more.

Refering to TO as "It's" instead of "He's" :muttley:

I love it... shades of Parcell's "the player"....

Its the end of the world as we know it....... and I feel fine....