What about Brett Elliot?

nathanlt

Reaction score
He's a QB from a small school, but sounds like a pretty good player.

Here's what Brett Elliott has in common with counterparts Matt Leinart of Southern California and Texas' Vince Young: Like those two more celebrated quarterbacks, both likely to be among the top five prospects selected in the NFL draft April 29, Elliott won't throw during the scouting combine workouts this weekend.

But there is one big thing Elliott, who tossed 110 touchdown passes the last two seasons at Division III Linfield College, doesn't share with Leinart and Young. He wasn't even provided the choice of participating in the on-field workouts because, despite incredibly gaudy statistics and an arm deemed NFL-worthy by several league scouts, he wasn't invited to the combine sessions.

I'd have jumped through every hoop they put in front of me, if I was there," said Elliott, who compiled a 23-1 record in his two seasons as the starter at Linfield, and led the school to the Division III championship in 2004. "But you can't do what they won't let you do, you know? Like most players, all this [draft] stuff is virgin territory to me. But with what I did in college, and how I performed in the two all-star games in which I played, yeah, I thought I'd at least get a shot to prove myself [at the combine]. Maybe it's some kind of stigma, you know, about playing at a Division III school."

If there is such a stigma, though, one would think NFL scouts might be interested enough in Elliott, just based on raw statistics alone, to have wanted a first-hand look at him. Here's a guy who threw for 8,614 yards the past two years, tossed 49 touchdown passes during a 2005 season that was considered a down year for him, and established 31 school records.

In only two seasons at Linfield, the preposterously prolific Elliott, who began his career playing for Urban Meyer at Utah before transferring after the 2003 campaign, threw for 450-plus yards on six occasions and 528 yards in his career finale. He had four or more touchdown passes 15 times and authored a pair of seven-touchdown pass outings. In his first season, Linfield, a school of about 1,800 students located in McMinnville, Ore., averaged 50 points. The average plummeted all the way to 48 points last season. Elliott's career completion rate of 68.1 percent is the NCAA record for all divisions.

Everyone wants to be the smart team and draft the Kurt Warner type away from the grocery shelves, so this may be a flop.

I think there's a chance, though.