What Can We Get For Roy Williams?

Reaction score
I hear rumors about the Cowboys either trading or outright releasing SS Roy Williams. I can't see releasing a 6th yr. player who just went to his 5th Pro Bowl, & won't turn 28 until just before the season starts.

So, if it IS true that Phillips, Jones, & Co. want to part ways with "The Hammer", what kind of restitution can we get for him in the way of draft picks, players, or both. I know he has not played as well in the 3-4 scheme, but I feel that RW has a lot of great football ahead of him, if used in the right way.

There are many variations of the 3-4 that he may fit into better than the one used in Dallas. New England, perhaps, I don't know.

I figure if he's going to be used as only a 2 down player, it will hamper our negotiations ability. The least pick I see him going for is a 3rd, possibly 2nd. Moss went for a 4th, but he was carrying a whole lot more baggage at the time than Roy is.

So, what are you thoughts??

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think you have to be absolutely clueless to even ask such a question.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
theogt;1965397 said:

why do u have to respond to everybodys post with a insult? ur worse then a Commander troll

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LatinMind;1965467 said:
why do u have to respond to everybodys post with a insult? ur worse then a Commander troll
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Cogan;1965360 said:
I hear rumors about the Cowboys either trading or outright releasing SS Roy Williams.
From whom?

I don't believe there is a such rumor. Cowboys is not going to release him and no team wants carry his contract, therefore, RW will be playing for the Cowboys this upcoming season.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I think RW will be a cowboy for awhile. I have always been a fan of the big hits and plays that he brings to the table but i can only watch so many years of him getting beat like he stole something in the secondary

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Roy will be with the Boys for AT LEAST one more year. They will not trade or release him till at least next offseason.

As for trading him...I don't think you could get much for him. People already have seen how terrible he is in coverage and how bad he is with his angles.

They'd more than likely just wait for Dallas to cut him.

royhitzhard31

Reaction score
Roy is a good safety he just seem to not be the same last year at all they need to let him kind of roam free like he did when he had woodson he was awesome then i miss all the hard hits he made people ust to be scared to go over the middle and try and catch a ball cause of him now there not. Its depressing really especially to a sooner and cowboy fan seeing how he is from OU.

Reaction score
theogt;1965397 said:

I think you have to be absolutely clueless to make such a statement. If you listen to ANYONE who knows anything about the NFL, they are stupified that RW made the Pro Bowl this year. His own coaches feel so good about his coverage skills that they took him out of the secondary on passing situations. What does that tell you, Einstein?? A SS that can't cover is only half a SS. He is being paid too much money to not have cover responsibility.

There are teams out there who run schemes that could use him as a third down LB that would keep him out there for all three downs. Those are the teams that might trade for him.

Next time you make a statement, try to use more than one sentence. Your ignorance is showing.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Cogan;1967622 said:
I think you have to be absolutely clueless to make such a statement. If you listen to ANYONE who knows anything about the NFL, they are stupified that RW made the Pro Bowl this year. His own coaches feel so good about his coverage skills that they took him out of the secondary on passing situations. What does that tell you, Einstein?? A SS that can't cover is only half a SS. He is being paid too much money to not have cover responsibility.

There are teams out there who run schemes that could use him as a third down LB that would keep him out there for all three downs. Those are the teams that might trade for him.

Next time you make a statement, try to use more than one sentence. Your ignorance is showing.

this long post and you said exactly nothing?

As you were asked where are these rumors that this is going toi happen? Got some links for us to enjoy?

Or was this another pathetic attempt to bash roy and the "rumors" is just your cover for saying you want him traded or released?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cogan;1965360 said:
I hear rumors about the Cowboys either trading or outright releasing SS Roy Williams. I can't see releasing a 6th yr. player who just went to his 5th Pro Bowl, & won't turn 28 until just before the season starts.

So, if it IS true that Phillips, Jones, & Co. want to part ways with "The Hammer", what kind of restitution can we get for him in the way of draft picks, players, or both. I know he has not played as well in the 3-4 scheme, but I feel that RW has a lot of great football ahead of him, if used in the right way.

There are many variations of the 3-4 that he may fit into better than the one used in Dallas. New England, perhaps, I don't know.

I figure if he's going to be used as only a 2 down player, it will hamper our negotiations ability. The least pick I see him going for is a 3rd, possibly 2nd. Moss went for a 4th, but he was carrying a whole lot more baggage at the time than Roy is.

So, what are you thoughts??
Man, that is funny. I am totally obsessed with the Cowboys to the point that I have e-mail alerts on them from every source that I can find and I have not heard or read one single rumor about trading or releasing Roy Williams. I've got one or two spies who drop me hints of stuff we're thinking or talking about from time to time. Not one peep about this.

I've heard and read plenty of rumors about trading for Roy Williams the WR from Detroit, and I like the idea very much, but all that has been is rumors thus far.

I do hear plenty of Cowboys fans bellyaching about trading or releasing him. That doesn't equate to rumors of this happening. A rumor would be a reputable NFL source, not fans on a message board.

Those are my thoughts.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree....................

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cogan;1967622 said:

Ignorance? Have you heard of the salary cap? Google it.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
As bad as some fans feel Roy is, I'm suprised that they all think that he could be traded at all. After all, who will trade for a safety that can't cover and only plays two downs? It's almost like some people have an agenda and really don't know anything about football.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;1968561 said:
Ignorance? Have you heard of the salary cap? Google it.

Why bother? The Roy Williams haters simply refuse to stop and understand that Dallas is not going to eat the cap hit to trade or release him. Apparently Roy haters think the NFL is played with Monopoly money.

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1965878 said:
From whom?

I don't believe there is a such rumor. Cowboys is not going to release him and no team wants carry his contract, therefore, RW will be playing for the Cowboys this upcoming season.

Here is the "rumor", from BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1. *#3 in the team needs section. So, I would appreciate an apology for calling me a liar on this thread. You're just lucky we can't meet face to face on these things.

I would love to say that Roy Williams is the greatest SS in the NFL. That he coordinates his efforts well w/his teammates. That he is rarely burned or out of position. However, he is all of these things, & WAY too often. I believe that Darren Woodson, being the BEST safety in Cowboys' history, hid a lot of William's flaws, and that we just don't have anyone who can do that now.

So, by shear deduction by the fact that his minutes were slowly diminished as last season went along by his coaches.... and this site, along w/many sports analysts, who say Williams is terrible in coverage, and by the fact that his own teammates think he's a little thick-headed. (Why else would Crayton make that statement that, "When you have the penalty (RW Horsecollar) named after you, you might want to find other ways to bring guys down. The refs may just be watching for you in that situation"......or something to that effect?)

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/Images/dot_clear.gif http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/images/newbanner.jpg

2008 NFL Offseason Page
Dallas Cowboys

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/images/fball/cowboys2_logo.gif Dallas Cowboys (Last Year: 13-3)

Season Summary:
Ever have deja vu? If you're a Cowboys fan, you definitely should be nodding your head right now. Dallas' 2007 campaign mirrored its 2006 season. Tony Romo started hot; Dallas looked like the team to beat in the NFC East; Romo began dating a succubus around Thanksgiving; he started tossing picks and committing fumbles at an alarming rate; a divisional foe passed his team by; and the Cowboys lost a heart-breaker in the playoffs. Note to Romo: Date chicks in the offseason and focus on football between September and February.

Offseason Moves: Cowboys sign ILB Zach Thomas
Cowboys franchise S Ken Hamlin

Offseason Needs:
  1. Two Cornerbacks: Besides an anti-Jessica Simpson repellent (i.e. an encyclopedia), what the Cowboys need most is a cornerback to play across from Terence Newman. Anthony Henry is old and is now a better fit at free safety. Meanwhile, Jacques Reeves and Nathan Jones, a pair of free agents this offseason, leave much to be desired. How incredible would Dallas' defense look with a stud corner like Nnamdi Asomugha in the starting lineup? If the Cowboys can't get him - he'll cost a lot of money, but he's well worth it - I could see them drafting a corner late in the first or second rounds, and picking up a guy like Randall Gay for depth purposes.
  2. Wide Receiver: Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn will both be 34 years old for the majority of the 2008 campaign. The Cowboys must acquire a young receiver this offseason - perhaps DeSean Jackson at No. 22 overall.
  3. Strong Safety: I find it unbelievable that Roy Williams made the Pro Bowl this year, as there is a good chance Dallas could cut him. Williams is terrible in coverage and happens to be a huge liability in the secondary. Whether Williams is released or not - a move that would stun a lot of casual fans - the Cowboys could be looking for a new strong safety. There aren't many of those in free agency, so Tom Zbikowski, Craig Steltz and a few others could be options in the third round.
I don't want a SS we have to hide in coverage. I want an all-purpose, quality SS who can stuff the run, and cover in the secondary. From watching his 4.35 40 at the Combine yesterday, and his overally ability to play both the run & pass, Josh Barrett would be a great pick with the 3rd or 4th rd. selection. At 6-3, 230 lbs., it's hard to fathom that he ran such a fast 40, but I've read before that he was the fastest player on the Arizona St. team last year. The run Tuesday only affirms that.

Man, we could end up with more speed in this draft than we ever have.....and you know, SPEED KILLS!​

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
if roy has another season like he just had we will have a new starting ss in the 2009 season. hopefully he can become what he once was but i won't hold my breath