CFZ What Dak is Doing Is Not Normal

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always hating….. SMH
Talk about "always hating"...it's all you do is crash your way into threads to find someone to hate. Shake your head all you want...don't hurt yourself.

But I digress.

I will ask you the same thing I asked Ronnie...who hasn;t answered yet.

Are the next 4-6 weeks...gonna be easier, the same, or harder...than our last 4-6 weeks?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not the teams.

There is a clear difference in his play.

When he was putting up empty calorie bs stats against these type of teams in the past I called it out.

He is making throws that he normally wouldn’t make, extending plays, and just has a real command of this offense.

Heck the game we lost to Philly he was clearly the best player on the field for both team.

Saying it’s just the teams we are playing is just lazy or not being able to tell the difference in real QB play vs the fools gold we’ve seen in the past.
I have already said he's playing great....there is of course...a very noticeable difference in his play.

So I will ask YOU then...the third person....

Are the next 4-6 weeks going to be easier...the same...or harder than our last 4-6 weeks?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have already said he's playing great....there is of course...a very noticeable difference in his play.

So I will ask YOU then...the third person....

Are the next 4-6 weeks going to be easier...the same...or harder than our last 4-6 weeks?
We’re playing tougher opponents so I suspect it will be tougher for the whole team and not just Dak.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Threads like this are nauseating. Dak plays great against some crappy teams and all of a sudden what he is doing 'isn't normal'. But we get this every season when the teams puts together a few wins.

He's had a good stretch of games against opponents that were far below average The test to see if he has really turned a corner begins now.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
OP must be a new fan. Look no further than Dak's predecessor for a late career surge. Nothing abnormal here at all.

As for potential MVP.... One thing people haven't mentioned either is all the great ones that dominated early 21st century QB position have retired - Brady, Brees, Manning, etc.. And injuries have eliminated a lot of QBs this year - Burrow, Cousins, Rodgers, etc. Never a better year to stand out.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re playing tougher opponents so I suspect it will be tougher for the whole team and not just Dak.
Yes. So thats what i said, really.
I was only trying to stay on topic of thread title.

Im aware of some new rule in the works that you have to preface every other team issue or concern before addressing daks.

McMicah

Reaction score
This forum cracks me up.

Half of you are screaming that Dak has always been this great, which is patently false. Sure he’s had 1-2 games a season at this level but he’s never played this way consistently. He didn’t even play this way before the bye.

Almost another half of you are saying we’ve only played garbage teams, and he’s about to get exposed. The Seahawks objectively played outstanding defense.

I admit I’m waiting for the shoe to drop with Dak and I’ll reserve judgment until after the Lions, but they have no running game, their RT is a revolving door, and yet Dak is playing more consistently and better (bye a large margin) than he ever has. He’s seeing the field better, throwing earlier, hanging in the pocket better while taking hits, and using his legs better. I’m just saying that’s not normal for an 8 year qb.

shabazz

Reaction score
He’s improved because of the coaching, the new offense and the improvement of the offensive line.
We've gone over this before, butterbean......this is not the new offense . It was scrapped after the loss to the niners

They've gone back to Kellen Moores offense

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This performance surge is not normal. In fact, I can’t think of another QB that had late career surges like this. I give up trying to project QB play. For me it goes back to Wentz vs Dak. I went back and forth on that 10x before Wentz fell off the cliff.

But Dak was no saint then, and until after this years bye week, I saw the same Dak I always have seen since after his rookie year. Consistently inconsistent, game to game and even qtr to qtr. He COULD be awesome, but also COULD be a tragedy at times.

All this time I have assumed Hurts had the ultimate higher ceiling due to youth, and yet Dak has become randomly…consistent. But he’s also randomly….better. ALOT better. Better than he’s ever played, and that makes 0 sense to me at this stage of his career. I keep waiting for his inconsistency to pop out and say hi and it just hasn’t yet.

I know we’ve played some bad teams in that stretch, but he was great against the eagles and the Seahawks (who admittedly played their best game of the season IMHO).

My complaints against Dak have almost all gone sideways. His pocket presence and footwork has improved ALOT, despite not great pass pro. He keeps his eyes downfield. He is balancing using his legs better than I’ve seen since his rookie year. He even throws the ball away ON PURPOSE when he needs to. He’s throwing with anticipation and letting his instincts control his aen and he seems so relaxed doing it. Maybe my only complaint that still has life is his accuracy isn’t always great on every throw, but he’s throwing some dimes lately.

Am I wrong in this? No one can convince me that he was this good all the time. I’m not looking for a Dak worshipper to tell me it was always like this because I know it wasn’t. Even you apologists have to admit it’s on another level right now. But the Dak critics also have to see it.

The guy is absolutely balling. Let’s pray he had some late career eureka moment and that this sticks, cause if so, I’m not worried about QB for a while. Hopefully MVP Dak is here to stay.
Coaching matters....yes, you need the tools, but coaching matters. What happened to Garrett and Moore?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
OK, so the balanced view is, yes he's looking a lot more composed and in charge, and whilst the teams we're facing are an uptick on the past schedule, only the Bills have an above average defense.
The negative doubt is that we've been here before.... then again we're starting from a confident starting point.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Offensive Line takes time, and that time is being taken. As the OL has improved, the trust has impacted his accuracy positively.

Still, pocket awareness I wish was a bit better for when it does break down, but the process overall of getting a pass out is improving.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This performance surge is not normal. In fact, I can’t think of another QB that had late career surges like this. I give up trying to project QB play. For me it goes back to Wentz vs Dak. I went back and forth on that 10x before Wentz fell off the cliff.

But Dak was no saint then, and until after this years bye week, I saw the same Dak I always have seen since after his rookie year. Consistently inconsistent, game to game and even qtr to qtr. He COULD be awesome, but also COULD be a tragedy at times.

All this time I have assumed Hurts had the ultimate higher ceiling due to youth, and yet Dak has become randomly…consistent. But he’s also randomly….better. ALOT better. Better than he’s ever played, and that makes 0 sense to me at this stage of his career. I keep waiting for his inconsistency to pop out and say hi and it just hasn’t yet.

I know we’ve played some bad teams in that stretch, but he was great against the eagles and the Seahawks (who admittedly played their best game of the season IMHO).

My complaints against Dak have almost all gone sideways. His pocket presence and footwork has improved ALOT, despite not great pass pro. He keeps his eyes downfield. He is balancing using his legs better than I’ve seen since his rookie year. He even throws the ball away ON PURPOSE when he needs to. He’s throwing with anticipation and letting his instincts control his aen and he seems so relaxed doing it. Maybe my only complaint that still has life is his accuracy isn’t always great on every throw, but he’s throwing some dimes lately.

Am I wrong in this? No one can convince me that he was this good all the time. I’m not looking for a Dak worshipper to tell me it was always like this because I know it wasn’t. Even you apologists have to admit it’s on another level right now. But the Dak critics also have to see it.

The guy is absolutely balling. Let’s pray he had some late career eureka moment and that this sticks, cause if so, I’m not worried about QB for a while. Hopefully MVP Dak is here to stay.
I can think of a few examples of QBs that got better later in their careers - and at a later point than Dak is at now.

Rich Gannon started playing his best football in his mid 30's and was named MVP at age 37. Elway got better as he aged, and probably the last 5-6 years of his career were his best. Far and away Randall Cunningham's best year as a passer was in his mid 30's with Minnesota. Alex Smith became an outstanding QB in his early to mid 30's.

In any case, statistically Dak isn't that far above a couple of other seasons he has had. Admittedly, however, what he has been doing this year looks and feels different. He seems more confident, and more decisive. He seems more willing to give his receivers a chance to make plays instead of holding the ball too long waiting for things to open up. He seems to have learned to see and make throws that give his receivers a chance without risking an INT. I'm anxious to see how this plays out going forward.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You Dak haters just need to man-up, admit you were wrong about Dak, and confirm he is what the Cowboys need going forward.
Nope, the biggest difference in Dak these past few games is his movement in the pocket. He has finally figured out he needs to move up in the pocket instead of back and out. He did not do this before on a regular basis at all. It is the key to making plays when the pass rush is coming. It has been a game changer. That said, talk to me after we play Philly and possibly San Fran in the playoffs and lets see if his progress holds. He has to finish. He did not finish against the Eagles last game and it was his for the taking!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think MM has to get some credit here, its not just Dak, almost every player on the offense is getting better as MM keeps evolving his playbook... can we say the same about DQ's defense..Maybe MM needs to sit in a DC meeting and give some ideas..

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Cant read defenses

Weak arm

Inaccurate

One read QB

Cant hit the deep ball

Cant go through progressions

Cant handle pass rush

Cant throw for over 200 yards

Too many interceptions

Cant beat a winning team