What did they say?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I purposely avoided the talking heads shows yesterday, .. did anyone on ESPN or FOX pick the Cowboys?

Let me guess, ... Bradshaw, Berman, Key-yawn, Carter, & Jackson all picked the GeeeeeeMen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2495996 said:
I purposely avoided the talking heads shows yesterday, .. did anyone on ESPN or FOX pick the Cowboys?

Let me guess, ... Bradshaw, Berman, Key-yawn, Carter, & Jackson all picked the GeeeeeeMen.

If not mistaken not even Jimmy Johnson picked us to win.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
one person on fox picked us but i cant remember who it was....
for some reason im thinking it was keyshawn...but ive slept since then
so who knows

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

Sunday morning Cowboys pre-game pablum: T.O., Jerry and Wade are roasted and toasted
12:38 PM Sun, Dec 14, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips
The studio shows focused on the Cowboys. Let's go network by network by network by network:

On the Fox pre-game Jimmy Johnson & Company lambasted just about everything Cowboys.

Johnson: "This group of players in Dallas are selfish, there's no fear, respect or loyalty and that's what you've got to have to have a championship team. T.O. was quoted as saying, The more hell I raise, the more I get what I want.' And that's what it's all about. What I want. It's a me type of situation. Michael Irvin wanted the ball but Michael and Troy Aikman sacrificed numbers to make sure that we won games. They knew that the priority was to win games."

Jay Glazer: "Wade told his guys that 'the media is trying to make T.O. look like a monster. He is not a monster.' So obviously right off the bat, Wade is empowering T.O. in this situation."

Add Glazer: "Right now, the locker room is divided. You have some guys on T.O's side and other guys trying to figure out the source of the story. It's not so much what T.O. thinks of Romo and Witten because that's been going on forever. The fact that the report has come out is what has divided this locker room. It's really affected Witten...Witten tried to talk to T.O. at one point to which T.O. said, 'don't ever talk to me again.'"

Terry Bradshaw: "T.O. has never cared about anybody but himself. I'm disappointed that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn't recognize this. No one questions T.O.'s individual talent but it is about the team...What Terrell Owens has done is destroy whatever hope the Dallas Cowboy fans or players have of getting to a championship."

Howie Long: "He's (T.O.) been a great organizer of men in every place he's gone but unfortunately it's been at the expense of the quarterback."

Meanwhile, over at CBS...

Shannon Sharpe: "You know what you get over Terrell Owens' 13-year career. You know what happens. Jeff Garcia in San Francisco on Jerry Rice Day, he threw Terrell Owens 20 passes, an NFL record, turns his back, stabs him in the back. (He) goes to Philly, Donovan McNabb throws him 14 TD passes in 12 games, stabs him in the back. Last year crying on national television about how much he loves Tony Romo - "That's my quarterback" - he stabs him in the back. You know exactly what you are going to get in his 13-year history. The problem is not T.O., it's Jerry Jones because Jerry Jones reinforces that negative behavior and co-signs what T.O. says about throwing him the football to better their chances of winning games."

Boomer Esiason: "Jerry Jones obviously had to know he was going to get himself in trouble by bringing Terrell Owens there. But I'm not sure how good Tony Romo is right now. I think he will be a much better quarterback once they decide to get rid of Terrell Owens, whenever that is. And, there is a fine line between having the holiday spirit and looking like a clown because to me he has completely upset the apple cart in Dallas and is clearly a distraction. It seems like every year we're talking about this whether it be with San Francisco, Philadelphia and Dallas. He is a guy that they have got to get rid of and let Tony Romo become the great player he should be."

More Sunday morning Cowboys pre-game pablum: T.O., Jerry and Wade are roasted and toasted
12:30 PM Sun, Dec 14, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips
Continuing on a theme. Do you see a pattern here?

From ESPN:

Mike Ditka: "This is a house divided. A house divided will fall. There is no leadership on this football team. No leadership from coaches, no leadership from the owner. This should have never happened."

Keyshawn Johnson: "It's the leadership of the football team and it starts with Jerry Jones when you hire the head coach. I've never played for Wade Phillips, but he's soft just watching. A year ago, two years ago, when Bill Parcells inherited that team, you didn't have these problems because Bill intimidated him - you sit down and you be quiet, period. I don't want to hear about it."

Cris Carter: "The biggest problem this year is that T.O. did not play big. Hines Ward this year played big. Steve Smith at Carolina, he played big. T.O. at this point in his career is not a great route runner. If they throw you the ball 100 times - ask Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin - they got almost the same number of attempts to them - look at their numbers. That's what a wide receiver is supposed to do. Run some routes, be a double-team. Play big."

Tom Jackson: "Bigger issue for this team is turning things around. I don't care about T.O. I care about how this team plans to turn things around. The demise of this team in December is bigger than just happenstance. They have to find a way in the midst of all this controversy to turn this around. Much of it will be dependent on Tony Romo playing quarterback with all this hanging over his head."

Chris Berman: "A wise man once said, 'those who don't learn from history are doomed to make the same mistakes.' So we threw a hand grenade in at San Francisco, couple years ... BOOM! It goes off. One is an accident. You throw a hand grenade at Philadelphia, BOOM! It goes off. It's the third year now...you throw a hand grenade in at Dallas...BOOM! Really?!"

Keyshawn: "I don't need to give Jerry Jones advice nor can I give him advice, but I'm going to give him some anyway. Cut bait. Just cut it."

Steve Young: "Tony Romo is in a tough spot and I've been in those spots before. ...I think the most important thing you need to do is publicly always take the blame. So you say, 'Hey I should've gotten to Terrell more' if Terrell says you should have gotten to him. Jason said you forced the ball, 'yeah, I forced the ball. So publicly you swallow the swords where you need to, but privately you are very firm. 'Hey Terrell you said you were open, you weren't open. Hey Jason, I forced the ball to you I should have gone to Terrell. Between the three of them, they have to be very communicative and that's where they can't go wrong. If Tony isn't communicating well privately that's a big problem and if he's not falling on the sword a little bit publicly that's a problem. I suggest he does both."

Ditka: "It's always on the quarterback. He touches the ball on every down. Here's what bothers me. I love the kid, but if you're the quarterback, you're the leader, you stand up and say 'Shut up. Shut up and play football. Do not bother me, I'm working here. Put a "Men Working" sign up. If you want to work, come here, if you don't want to work, get out of here."

Carter: "Look at the groceries that he (owner Jerry Jones) shopped for that Tony Romo is playing with. As Key said earlier, I know one of them, the product might be a little bit stale or the date might have expired."

Jackson: "I don't trust (Romo) as much as I trust Manning. I don't trust him as much as I trust Brady. But, in that top five, yes I do trust him. But this is a very tough task. I think Ed Werder put it well. Every time I make a play today, Jason Witten is kind of open; maybe T.O. is not quite as open. Where am I taking that football and what's going to happen once I get to the sidelines? ...You think he's crazy now and I know he's watching. You wait until they are eliminated from playoffs you watch Act III."

Keyshawn: "When you look at Tony Romo and his situation, he hasn't won very many big games, but he's young. This is his third year as a starter, but how can you survive as the Dallas Cowboy quarterback when you have a receiver in your ear all the time, crazy, crazy as a car full of monkeys. One day he's happy, the next day he's sad. Tomorrow he's crying, the next day he's happy again."

And finally, NFL Network:

Steve Mariucci: "They need to put a sign up (in the locker room) that says, 'loose lips sinks ships.'"

Marshall Faulk: "(Romo's) confidence in T.O. isn't there...Just think of the New England Patriots. There's one message and one voice."

Mariucci: "When you get the 'high-maintenance' player, it's high risk, high reward."

http://sportsmediablog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/12/sunday-morning-cowboys-pre-gam.html

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Did you hear that?

Sounded like gears stripping as things were slammed into reverse.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Wade has taken heat over this but myself I think Wade has done the right thing publicly by not adding fuel to the fire and making matters worse. What we don't know is what wade has said to these players privately but getting on your soapbox and coming down on a guy like TO publicly would have only made matter 10 times worse not better

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2496036 said:
Did you hear that?

Sounded like gears stripping as things were slammed into reverse.

*nods* As is the usual with ESPN for 3 years now. They're just DYING on that set to have it all fall apart so they can say "See we were right. We're so smart."

Everytime they fall apart on it cause it doesn't pan out for them.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Looking at WG's post, it seems like #9 served up a heavy dose of crow to the mediots predicting his failing under the scrutiny he was surrounded w/ last week! I really loved Romo's p/c when he stepped up to the podium and actually LOOKED & SOUNDED like the leader of the team.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2496159 said:
Geesh WG, after reading all of that, I'm glad I missed all of those shows.

Thanks.
Agreed! I purposely avoided them because I knew they'd spend 3 seconds on actual strategy and an hour on "team turmoil"!

shnagy

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2496159 said:
Geesh WG, after reading all of that, I'm glad I missed all of those shows.

Thanks.

Good thing I didn't read them :laugh2: . Fox was bad enough to watch and I knew ESPN would be 10x worse.

willia451

Reaction score
That's the thing about all these former players and media guys and gals. They can say anything they want. What have they got to lose? And they don't ever have to have any real evidence to back it up. Because, its just their opinion; what they think.

And later, they don't even have to revisit it on any level, if they don't want too. Where is the accountability for these guys? There is none.

THEY are the problem.

I don't watch their shows on TV. I don't listen to them on the radio. And I watch ALL the games, with the sound off.

I will listen to the pre game and post game interviews with the players and coaches. Maybe some of that during the week as well.

But as far as all these garbage pickers are concerned, I wouldn't spit in their rear end if it was on fire.

Go Cowboys!!!