CFZ What do you think is going on with the PAT misses?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's a routine kick. But nothing to be worried about.

My theory is he's just focusing on kicking, and not really practicing. There's also the snap, the hold, defense, and sometimes you just shank one.

Happens to them all. I'm not worried about Aubrey. He's truly been money. Best kicker we've ever had.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It could be a problem with the hold or snap. People don't realize how perfect the operation has to be for the kicker.
I don’t recall them ever pointing to the hold or the snap as being a possible cause for his misses. A PAT should be a routine kick. Hopefully they don’t continue becoming a problem for him. The missed PAT‘s spelled the end for Brett Meyer.

HanD

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The PAT is kicked from the middle of the field and the field goals are kicked from the hash marks. Maybe throws his angle off.

Fg is wherever the ball is downed so could be from center also. But you usually see teams at end of game try to kneel to wherever the kicker wants it, left or right hash.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
As long as these misses are in blowouts then it should be fine...but if he starts missing them in close games then look out! Aubrey has been great this season but let's wait to see how the rest of the season/playoffs plays out before we start crowning him long-term. At this time last year, Maher was looking elite as well but it can all change within a few games.

rambo2

Reaction score
First, to be 100 percent clear, I'm not bashing Brandon Aubrey. He was a real find. He's hit every one of his field goals, including some long ones. That's why the three missed PATs surprise me. A PAT is the same length as a 33-yard field goal, which nowadays is considered a chip shot, or nearly a chip shot. I'm sure he's going to be busy working on whatever made him miss those PATs.
Again, I'm not slamming Aubrey. I'm just wondering why you guys think he missed those PATs, which are closer, and thus considered easier, than most field goals. Maybe they're doing something different on the PATs? Sometimes you'll see a kicker who does great inside 45 yards, and after that his accuracy is the pits, but that makes sense. Plus 45, the field goals are longer and harder. But all of our guy's misses are these short PATs. I'm not mad. It hasn't changed the outcome of any of the games. However, I've seen enough games where a missed PAT comes back to haunt a team. It will be important to nail those things, especially in the playoffs. I suspect Aubrey has a theory on what went wrong on the PATs, and is working on whatever it is.
Maybe someone here has actually been a kicker, and has an idea what might be going on. Of course, it's not as if he's missing all his PATs. Maybe it's just a flukey thing?
Nobody makes 100 percent

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Every kick he missed has been left. I haven’t seen him miss right yet. Usually his foot hits the ground first, pulling it left, much like a golf swing that catches the turf before the ball that turns it over. I’m sure it will eventually happen with a FG, but he’s also kicked a lot more extra points than FGs.

FaSho

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The PAT is kicked from the middle of the field and the field goals are kicked from the hash marks. Maybe throws his angle off.
Field goals are kicked on whatever side the ball ended on the last play, and PAT's the kicker gets to choose. Pretty sure!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Only one guy who has been the holder for all of them.

Suspect #1, your Keyser Soze, Bryan Anger.

Someone make sure he doesn’t have a secret contract with the Eagles.

i

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe he's rushing the kick because he's so close? This stuff happens to guys who have been kicking their entire life and often, the kicker has no idea why.

plasticman

Reaction score
A shame he missed those extra points. He is tied for the lead in scoring with 99 points.

By the way, Cowboys punter Anger is ranked #2 in net average yards per punt.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've wondered about this too. A theory I just invented and have done absolutely zero research on but am 100% confident is accurate, is that kickers with big legs are more likely to struggle with the short range kicks. Obviously not all do, but guys like Maher and Zuerline could routinely drill anything over 50 yards but seemed to struggle on the short to medium range stuff.

I wonder if it's like trying to swing a golf iron you normally hit 150 and take enough off to make it lay up at 100 and you just feel weird all the way through the swing and end up drubbing it.

I suck at golf.

rambo2

Reaction score
First, to be 100 percent clear, I'm not bashing Brandon Aubrey. He was a real find. He's hit every one of his field goals, including some long ones. That's why the three missed PATs surprise me. A PAT is the same length as a 33-yard field goal, which nowadays is considered a chip shot, or nearly a chip shot. I'm sure he's going to be busy working on whatever made him miss those PATs.
Again, I'm not slamming Aubrey. I'm just wondering why you guys think he missed those PATs, which are closer, and thus considered easier, than most field goals. Maybe they're doing something different on the PATs? Sometimes you'll see a kicker who does great inside 45 yards, and after that his accuracy is the pits, but that makes sense. Plus 45, the field goals are longer and harder. But all of our guy's misses are these short PATs. I'm not mad. It hasn't changed the outcome of any of the games. However, I've seen enough games where a missed PAT comes back to haunt a team. It will be important to nail those things, especially in the playoffs. I suspect Aubrey has a theory on what went wrong on the PATs, and is working on whatever it is.
Maybe someone here has actually been a kicker, and has an idea what might be going on. Of course, it's not as if he's missing all his PATs. Maybe it's just a flukey thing?
They missed the 1st one on a quick unexpected td. The center. holder, and kicker weren't ready for it. One of the others was also on a quick score as well.