What does it take to be considered A DALLAS COWBOY?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Champsheart;1503743 said:
From the original post

What is your standards for a player to be considered a DALLAS COWBOY, and what I mean is in your heart this player should always be considered a DALLAS COWBOY.

I would say that it is a player that has demonstrated a love for the team and has been with the team more than a few years.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
So you would consider Andre Gurode a Dallas Cowboy because he was home grown, but Kyle Kosier lines up right next to him and he's not? They both wear the same uniform. They play for the same team.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Leon Lett is an interesting case.

I certainly consider him a Dallas Cowboy.

Maybe others here don't, though, given his off the field issues and/or legendary on the field mistakes (vs. Miami and the Bills).

--

Even though I consider Lett to be a Cowboy, I don't think of Quincy Carter as a Cowboy.

I am aware of the contradiction but don't have an explanation for it..

Viper

Reaction score
THUMPER;1503753 said:
I would say that it is a player that has demonstrated a love for the team and has been with the team more than a few years.

I think you summed it up best, it's all in the heart of the player. For instance, Ditka played and coached for the Cowboys... yet his heart is with the Bears. He'll always be a Bear.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Champsheart;1503533 said:
I think there could be some wide range of opinions here.
What is your standards for a player to be considered a DALLAS COWBOY, and what I mean is in your heart this player should always be considered a DALLAS COWBOY. Now obviously great players who played only for the Cowboys (Staubach) will always be considered great DALLAS COWBOY's.

Short term players who make their name as a Cowboy, and are on a team that goes deep into the playoffs should be considered Cowboys. But, Deion to me isn't a Cowboy, he jumped around too much. I'd rather think of Leroy as a Cowboy, as he toiled in Dallas for quite awhile, was a team leader, and didn't get to taste the fruits of the playoffs.

sago1

Reaction score
Part of being considered a Dallas Cowboys naturally includes how long they've played with us.
1. Gurode enters his 6th season as a Cowboy and w/5 more years left on his contract he'll probably end his career with us; enough said.
2. On the other hand Kosier has only been here 1 year so can't consider him a real Cowboy yet; ask me in another 3 years.
3. This will be Terry Glenn's 5th year with the Cowboys. Although he spent more time w/the Pats, he wasn't happy there. I think he'll play at least 2-3 more years with us & believe in his heart he's a Cowboy.
4. Sorry, don't see Kenny Norton as a Cowboy. Yes, he contributed greatly to 2 SB wins but he went on to play for SF and made many negative comments about the Cowboys. He seemingly was happy in SF and believe he considers himself a 49er.
5. Walker is a Cowboy who only left because of the trade but returned; he's Cowboy.
6. Deion Sanders is a great player but he's not a Cowboy. He was never a team player but a mercenry; besides he's already stated more then 3 years ago that when he enters the HOF he will go in as a Falcon. A player certainly isn't a Cowboy if he choses to do that.
7. Greg Ellis is a Cowboy, even if a whiner for last 2 years, but still gave everything last season before he's injuried. But who knows what Ellis will do over the next 3 years.
8. Larry Allen is a Cowboy; he helped win a SB here, spent most of his career here & despite playing last few years with SF, believe he considers himself a Cowboy.
9. Colombo enters his 2nd year in Dallas after spending first 3 with the Bears. If he remains a Cowboy for most of rest of his career & contributes to this team, he's certainly must be considered a Cowboy.
10. Charles Haley is difficult. He won 3 SBs with us and was relatively happy here. But before he cam here he was a Cowboy and when he left here he eventually went back to the 49ers. It's hard to consider him a Cowboy if in his heart he thinks of himself as a 49er. If he's gets inducted into the HOF and he should, will be real interesting to see which team's uniform he will wear.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
You have to simply fill the role. Such as Dieon or TO, even Ken Norton Jr, to me they all filled that role. What role am I talking about? The role of bringing somehting flashy and flamboyant to this already flashy and flamboyant team, in the end it mixing into a beautiful thing that just makes both sides all that better. Think in the terms of celebrity couples- sometimes it just does not work and you wonder how in the hell one is with the other. Other questions to ask; Has one found a true home here? IE. Does it seem as though they view this as their favorite place and does it bring out the best in them. I think in the 3 i've mentioned, yes, yes and so far.

Antoher example, Terry Glenn. To me he doesn't constitute that inwhich is a Dallas Cowboy, and he could play here 5 more years and I'd still feel the same I believe. IMO it's always felt like he was here for other reasons than for simply becoming part of America's Team. But maybe solely for Parcells and didn't give a crap about us in general, probably would have gone anywhere and acted exactly the same. One of those players without a real "home" in the NFL and doesn't even look for one. Unlike with TO who I honestly feel (and felt long before he was even an Eagle) that his "star" was positioned towards us- his "fate" if you will and also someone who has also been quite vocal about finding a "home". More so, Terry is a smug little ******* I just don't want on this team, that's the real reason- thus he could never be considered a Cowboy IMO.

Herschal Walker is another shortlived player I will always view as a Dallas Cowboy over anything else. He was just great for this team and that was before he even stepped on the field or was traded for a King's Ransom to the Vikes.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GlitzCowboy;1503889 said:
Antoher example, Terry Glenn. To me he doesn't constitute that inwhich is a Dallas Cowboy, and he could play here 5 more years and I'd still feel the same I believe. IMO it's always felt like he was here for other reasons than for simply becoming part of America's Team. But maybe solely for Parcells and didn't give a crap about us in general, probably would have gone anywhere and acted exactly the same. One of those players without a real "home" in the NFL and doesn't even look for one. Unlike with TO who I honestly feel (and felt long before he was even an Eagle) that his "star" was positioned towards us- his "fate" if you will and also someone who has also been quite vocal about finding a "home". More so, Terry is a smug little ******* I just don't want on this team, that's the real reason- thus he could never be considered a Cowboy IMO.

Herschal Walker is another shortlived player I will always view as a Dallas Cowboy over anything else. He was just great for this team and that was before he even stepped on the field or was traded for a King's Ransom to the Vikes.
Seriously, your hatred for Terry Glenn is quite irrational.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1503901 said:
Seriously, your hatred for Terry Glenn is quite irrational.
Seriously. If the term "rock the boat" equates to being a troublemaker, Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens did or have created tidal waves on and off the field during their respective careers--while Glenn has barely rippled the surface of a small pond. :cool:

dallasfan

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1503727 said:
If we are talking active players, for me they only have to be on the roster.
T. Owens is on the roster, so he's a Cowboy right now.

But if we are talking after the fact, after they retire, it gets more complicated.

Jackie Smith is a Cardinal who played in Dallas for a little while. Same for Lance Alworth (Chargers), Herb Adderley (Packers), and several others.

Given his time as a player and coach in Dallas (close to 10 years, I'd guess), I consider Mike Ditka to be a Chicago Bear and a Dallas Cowboy.

Deion Sanders isn't a Dallas Cowboy, but he's "mostly a Cowboy." He belongs in the Ring of Honor.

Ken Norton, Jr. is a 49er who started his career in Dallas. Larry Allen is a Cowboy who ended his career in San Fran.

Charles Haley is a 49er-Cowboys tweener, which means that he isn't a Dallas Cowboy. But I'd put him in the Ring of Honor.

Glover isn't a Dallas Cowboy. He's a fine ex-Saint who played in Dallas for a while.

Herschel Walker qualifies as one of the greatest assets the Dallas Cowboys ever had, but only partially qualifies as a Dallas Cowboy.

James Washington is a Cowboy, as is Alvin Harper.

Terry Glenn is a current Dallas Cowboy. Depending on when he retires (say a couple of years) and what transpires betwen now and then (benig an important contributor to a Cowboys Super Bowl team), I could see him as a Dallas Cowboy.

--

Off the field issues or otherwise rocking the boat isn't so much a part of it for me. Hollywood Henderson is a Cowboy. Nate Newton, Erik Williams, Duane Thomas, Lance Rentzel, and Clint Longley are Cowboys.

I agree with this 100%

bigE79

Reaction score
Champsheart;1503533 said:
I think there could be some wide range of opinions here.
What is your standards for a player to be considered a DALLAS COWBOY, and what I mean is in your heart this player should always be considered a DALLAS COWBOY. Now obviously great players who played only for the Cowboys (Staubach) will always be considered great DALLAS COWBOY's.

BUT what about other players who where only here short periods of time, but made an impact, or players who split their careers with other teams, players who where not drafted by DALLAS, or players who where drafted by Dallas, but left and had success with other teams etc...

Examples:
Ken Norton Jr, Charles Haley, Deion Sanders, Terry Glenn, Hershel Walker, Randall Godfrey, Laroi Glover, T.O., amongst many others.

I think if you ask several people they would have different opinions, so I want to hear yours.

Is all it takes is to put the Star on once, is their a time period, do you have to play almost your whole career with Dallas, do you just have to have a moment in a clutch situation to help win a championship, do you have to not have off field issues?

???????????????
as long as you hate the deadskins with all your heart:star:

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I will always think of Deion as a Falcon, that's where he made his name....

Allen is a true Cowboy

Emmitt true Cowboy

Harper is a true Cowboy even though he left but was a big part of our dynasty...

Jackie Smith is a so so Cowboy only because he dropped the pass in the endzone, if he catches it he would be a true boy....

Dorsett true Cowboy.

Norton is a Cowboy but lost his true status going to the 49ers plus he was overrated anyway....

Glenn is a so so Cowboy also, it could turn into a true Cowboy if he wins a ring same goes for TO if he can put about 3 or 4 more years here...

almost every player we had on the 90's team were true Cowboys, even Norton I still remember the stuff at the LOS in the Super Bowl against Buffalo...

Kosier needs alot of help to become a true Cowboy, depends if he can hold his job for about 5 more years or even 3 more years which I doubt.....

Niland76

Benched
Reaction score
I can't explain it, when I think of a player I usually think of a play he made in his career and whatever uniform he's wearing to me that's the team I identify him with.

George Teague smacking T.O. = Dallas Cowboys
Mike Ditka draging Lions Players = Bears
Deion Sanders prancing on KO return vs Bills = Falcons
Ken Norton stop @ goal line against Bills = Cowboys
Jay Novacek leaping a Chief = Cowboys
James Washington returning fumble for TD = Cowboys

Ray Donaldson = Colts
Herb Adderly = Packers
Lance Alworth = Chargers
John Dutton = Colts
Mike Renfro = Oilers etc...

There are many I left off this list, however this gives you an I dea of my thought procces.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
GlitzCowboy;1503889 said:
You have to simply fill the role. Such as Dieon or TO, even Ken Norton Jr, to me they all filled that role. What role am I talking about? The role of bringing somehting flashy and flamboyant to this already flashy and flamboyant team, in the end it mixing into a beautiful thing that just makes both sides all that better. Think in the terms of celebrity couples- sometimes it just does not work and you wonder how in the hell one is with the other. Other questions to ask; Has one found a true home here? IE. Does it seem as though they view this as their favorite place and does it bring out the best in them. I think in the 3 i've mentioned, yes, yes and so far.

LTN has got to be chompin at the bit right about now.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
In my book, Clint Longley lost his right to be considered a Cowboy when he punched Roger. Do you guys consider Craig Morton a Cowboy, Giant, or Bronco? To me, he will always be a Cowboy.