what ever happened to the "Dallas Cowboys"

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
First off I would like to say I've been a member of this board since the 'old' cowboys zone. This is my first post since the playoff loss in Seattle.

This is the first year in quite sometime that I felt like we actually had a chance to do something special, especially after the Indy win and the Thanksgiving day heroics of Tony Romo. What happened after that was just a complete and total collapse. The reason for that has been debated on this board countless times. By no means am I giving a reason or even a resolution
to what has happened to our beloved Boys!!

I'm just wondering when did the New Orleans Saints start being mentioned as the "New America's Team".

Have we ever gone 10 plus years without a playoff win? Or better yet...what ever happened to the 20 year streak of winnings seasons?

Whatever happened to having a coach that was 'always' considered one of the best at what he does? Not to mention having great quarterbacks and runningbacks year after year.

I'm just worried the the 'Star" has lost it's brightness a little bit.

With all that said....I still think we are the best organization in the NFL. No other team has been to more Super Bowls or has won any more. I'm hopeful that our new coach, No matter who it may be, can take us even further in the future.

And maybe we can get back to being "The Dallas Cowboys" again.:star:

Catch-22

Reaction score
The salary cap and league-wide mediocrity happened.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I personally enjoy parity in the NFL.

daynje

Star Treatment
Reaction score
Catch-22;1343271 said:

:hammer:

I think we are just around the corner.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys still remain the most storied NFL Franchise.

We are still here.

How bout 'dem Cowboyssssssssss?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
You know 1965-1984 was just a different era.
You'll probably never see that type of run again.

This has much less to do with free agency and a lot more to do with scouting talent in the modern era of football.

Landry was a excellent person, but as a coach he was only good.

The key to our success at that time was our scouting. It seemed like evey year we would find quality players from small schools that were overlooked by most other teams.

That changed by the late seventies. Just look at our past drafts. The rest of the league caught up.

There is still a gap between the good organizations and the bad. It's just that that gap is smaller.

On the bright side, I believe we have a couple things to be very optomistic about. This is my opinion!

1) We have a franchise QB. I believe he is a top 5 player at his position.
This will be a great year for him and erase all doubt.
This is key because in this era of football, the QB position means more than it ever has. Our overall poor QB play is the #1 reason we haven't won a play- off game since 96.

2) Bill did most of the job he was hired for. This is a talented roster. I believe it puts us in the top 25% of the league.
Now we need to make the right HC choice and we do have a few small holes to fill. But I think most teams would swap rosters with us.

doomsday81

Reaction score
da_boyz_mk;1343252 said:
First off I would like to say I've been a member of this board since the 'old' cowboys zone. This is my first post since the playoff loss in Seattle.

This is the first year in quite sometime that I felt like we actually had a chance to do something special, especially after the Indy win and the Thanksgiving day heroics of Tony Romo. What happened after that was just a complete and total collapse. The reason for that has been debated on this board countless times. By no means am I giving a reason or even a resolution
to what has happened to our beloved Boys!!

I'm just wondering when did the New Orleans Saints start being mentioned as the "New America's Team".

Have we ever gone 10 plus years without a playoff win? Or better yet...what ever happened to the 20 year streak of winnings seasons?

Whatever happened to having a coach that was 'always' considered one of the best at what he does? Not to mention having great quarterbacks and runningbacks year after year.

I'm just worried the the 'Star" has lost it's brightness a little bit.

With all that said....I still think we are the best organization in the NFL. No other team has been to more Super Bowls or has won any more. I'm hopeful that our new coach, No matter who it may be, can take us even further in the future.

And maybe we can get back to being "The Dallas Cowboys" again.:star:

I've been asking myself the same question for years. It's a shame that today's fans will just accept anything these rich owners feed them. Instead of being mad that Jerry Jones wants to bring in some re-tread coach to keep the seat warm for two years until another guy is ready to take over, people are actiually embracing this idea. I guess I'm spoiled. I was around in the late 70s and early 90s. I think of the Dallas Cowboys as the greatest sports team on the planet but now they are nothing more than an NFL also-ran. It's sad. It's sad how the fan base is so desperate for a winner that they follow the ownership off a cliff. Granted, the Parcells thing didn't work out like we had hoped but it was still right the thing to do at the time. Now we want to go back to loser coaches? Let me ask everyone this: With all the job openings over the last two years, how many interviews has the great, misunderstood Norv Turner had? About as many as Dave Campo got when Jones tried to sell him as a "hot coaching prospect." Remember that? Oh well, I can always re-live the great moments of the past. No one can take that away from us. I'm sure the misunderstood genius that is Norv Turner will lead the Cowboys back to greatness. Before you respond, think about that sentence. Some of you are trying to convince yourselves that Norv Turner is a good coach because you know how to use a Google search. Like I said, it's sad.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Catch-22;1343271 said:

Really? Boy, someone should tell the Patriots, Colts and Eagles they aren't supposed to be good every year then. Nice excuse. You keep telling yourself that. Funny, the Patriots have won three Super Bowls and been to four AFC Championship Games in the last six years. Since 2000, the Eagles have appeared in four NFC Championship Games, the Patriots four AFC Championship Games, the Steelers three AFC Championship Games and the Colts two AFC Championship Games. Is that what you meant by parity?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
doomsday81;1343376 said:
Really? Boy, someone should tell the Patriots, Colts and Eagles they aren't supposed to be good every year then. Nice excuse. You keep telling yourself that. Funny, the Patriots have won three Super Bowls and been to four AFC Championship Games in the last six years. Since 2000, the Eagles have appeared in four NFC Championship Games, the Patriots four AFC Championship Games, the Steelers three AFC Championship Games and the Colts two AFC Championship Games. Is that what you meant by parity?

Yeah, but look at all the other teams that came out of nowhere.

And besides Pittsburgh, look at what all those teams have in common...a Franchise QB. Manning, Brady, McNabb, and I guess Roethlisberger.

Sabu1

Reaction score
What happened to the Dallas Cowboys? It's called Jerry Jones and things will not change until that man is six feet under.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No one is talking about the Superbowl .... The big story in the NFL right now is Who is gonna be the headcoach of the Dallas Cowboys ......

That should tell ya something ...... noone even cares when another team gets a new coach.

maxsports

Reaction score
Jerry Jones happened to the Cowboys. Early success went straight to his head. And now that he gave up control and still didn't win, we are probably in trouble until he has to hand the team over to his son.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sabu1;1343383 said:
What happened to the Dallas Cowboys? It's called Jerry Jones and things will not change until that man is six feet under.

Hey, thats uncalled for.

Jerry has done everything he can to make the Cowboys a winner. He gave Tuna freaking $20 mill and total control and was repaid with .500 ball.

You may not like the idea of hiring Turner back and that is your perogative, but dont make statements like you just made.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1343695 said:
Hey, thats uncalled for.

Jerry has done everything he can to make the Cowboys a winner. He gave Tuna freaking $20 mill and total control and was repaid with .500 ball.

You may not like the idea of hiring Turner back and that is your perogative, but dont make statements like you just made.
I agree with you.. but... You can't tell someone not to say something. What he said isn't against the rules here either.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Sabu1;1343383 said:

This has to be the most idiotic thing I've read in a long time. Should Jerry Jones take 3 of the 5 Lombardi Trophies that Dallas has in its possession with him when he is "six feet under"?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
otero1;1343700 said:
I agree with you.. but... You can't tell someone not to say something. What he said isn't against the rules here either.

I expected a little more class from a Cowboys fan than taking about how much better the team will be when the owner is dead.

Making comments like that should be grounds for getting banned in my opinion.

I agree with free speech and everything, but talking about how much better things will be when the owner is dead crosses the line.

The poster fails to mention the we won 3 of our 5 trophies under Jerry, but Jerry is the worst thing that happened to the Cowboys?

Talk about making a dumb arse out of yourself!!!

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
maxsports;1343466 said:
Jerry Jones happened to the Cowboys. Early success went straight to his head. And now that he gave up control and still didn't win, we are probably in trouble until he has to hand the team over to his son.

Theres probably alot of teams out there who would trade 4 years of Excellence for futility forever. You can hate Jerry's personell decisions alll you want, but he was a part of 3 rings to Big D, weather you like it or not.