What happened to this guy?

gbrittain

Reaction score
Two freak injuries. Take some pressure off with a dangerous passing game, maintain some health, and I believe we will see that man again.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
My main fear with Julius is that he has actually been overcoached.

Maybe I'm not watching closely enough -- a distinct possibility -- but it seems like Julius is hesitant to make those sorts of cuts in the backfield now.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Dale said:

Maybe I'm not watching closely enough -- a distinct possibility -- but it seems like Julius is hesitant to make those sorts of cuts in the backfield now.

I somewhat agree with that. Again, I think the JJ will benefit greatly from a revamped and potent offense. I believe JJ will have more confidence due to an improved offense and you will see that reflected in his running style.

Not to mention our O-Line should be improved this year.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Dale said:

yep, ive said it before-- that is my only real gripe as far as Parcells is concerned.. im afraid that he may have taken a great back and made him average because he is so cautious and hesitant.. lets hope we are wrong, Dale..

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Dale said:

100% agreement---to much making sure he doesn't have negative yards--
:bang2: Just let the man run

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I dont think he has been over coached. I think he was hurt most of last year. Even before the ankle injury. He wasn't able to make those cuts early in the year, a sign of a light groin problem. I think we see that 1st year back again this yeart if he stays healthy. No worries with JJ.. none at all

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
yep, ive said it before-- that is my only real gripe as far as Parcells is concerned.. im afraid that he may have taken a great back and made him average because he is so cautious and hesitant.. lets hope we are wrong, Dale..
I know you've said it before, and I didn't get it then either!
Bill preaches burst and quick decision making, taking advantage of a hole right away, or having the patience to wait on a block.

Parcells loves running backs, and has never been known as one to 'ruin' one (not your word I know, but making a great back 'average' is pretty close.) He wants backs to develop patience and wait for their holes to open, but I have never heard of him counseling hesitance. Not to Hamptom, not to Martin, not to any of his backs.

Whatever appears to us to be tenative in JJ's game, (and I don't see it myself) would imho be based on getting to know his blockers, and perhaps, maybe, possibly, a little gunshyness due to past injury..but I don't want to tag him with that..I just don't see anything hesitant in his running.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
He just doesn't have the "burn" he showed early on.

I don't think it's overcoaching. He doesn't have the speed when he does find the hole. Even if he were overcoached, you'd still see the speed on occasion.

I think he's lost a step because of the added bulk. A mere 5-10 pounds can make a huge difference on a small frame in terms of speed. I think he bulked up out of fear of getting injured again. He needs to lose more weight than ever and just run like the wind. Let Barber do the headbangnin.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I was thinking about it the other day, but in some ways Julius reminds me of TJ Duckett. Duckett has times were he looks really fast and given his size, the look of a great running back. Then on other times he looks incredibly slow and plodding.

Julius at times looks surreal in his quickness and speed (i.e. last week's San Fran game) and then other times he'll look like he has average speed and quickness.

Some blame coaching, some blame injuries. I'm not sure what it is.

YAKUZA

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Bill preaches burst and quick decision making, taking advantage of a hole right away, or having the patience to wait on a block.

Parcells loves running backs, and has never been known as one to 'ruin' one (not your word I know, but making a great back 'average' is pretty close.) He wants backs to develop patience and wait for their holes to open, but I have never heard of him counseling hesitance. Not to Hamptom, not to Martin, not to any of his backs.

Whatever appears to us to be tenative in JJ's game, (and I don't see it myself) would imho be based on getting to know his blockers, and perhaps, maybe, possibly, a little gunshyness due to past injury..but I don't want to tag him with that..I just don't see anything hesitant in his running.

I think the change in JJ's running style isn't so much his tentativness, BPs hammering him about losing the football.

He seems very bunched up protecting the ball and that may be slowing him down.

Now I'm certainly not one to say he should be holding the ball like a loaf of bread as Randall Cunningham used to to do (or Crayton for that matter). But I do think his fear of a fumble could be hurting his intial burst.

Champsheart

Reaction score
I dont think Julius has lost a thing.

We will find out this year, but I really think you are going to see the Julius you want to see.

I can't wait:starspin

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

I guess the reason why I wonder in this instance is this: Recall Parcells' constant preaching on preventing negative carries? I'm afraid that in Julius' rare case, it's made him think to much with every run.

I said he seems hesitant. Perhaps that's not the best word. It just seems like to me he now gets the ball and runs in a straight line until he runs into a defender or, ocassionally, his own lineman. Granted, this is an overexaggeration. Just a few nights ago he made several cuts.

It just seems he cuts back less than he did when he looked so explosive that rookie season.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

again, i hope im wrong.. but i remember last year hearing over and over how Parcells was harping on him to hold onto that ball and to not make any mistakes.. and it just seems he is holding onto that ball with both hands now and running "tighter" if that makes sense.. he doesnt seem so footloose and fancy free.. i agree that Parcells is a great RB coach, BUT, all his great RBs (Martin, Anderson, etc) were very straight forward, between the tackles, smart, pound it out guys with very little "flash", or "juice" as Bill likes to call it.. i just hope he didnt scare the juice out of Julius..

again, i hope and actually think you are right.. i was expressing a fear or worry of mine, not necessarily what i think is the truth or a fact..

dalengal

Reaction score
Bill should just let him play his game. He's thinking too much.:starspin :starspin