What happens if you dont get stitches when you probably should

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dude, aren't you going to Miami? You get super cheap medical with that tuition... Use it! :)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3900840 said:
Nooooooo. I love my eyebrow

Haha..
I have a nice scar on my eyebrow from a drunken bike riding incident 30 years ago. Didn't want to go home, too drunk, so I slept it off at my friend's.

My aunt the nurse saw me the next day and dragged me to the Dr. He said I absolutely should have got it stiched up but it was to late now.

rynochop

Reaction score
Dang i shoulda started this thread, couple saturdays ago i literally stabbed my left index finger, not slice, but point of knife in first. (was trying to get that membrane off some ribs and was supporting the pan with my left hand and was cutting down the bone, got hung up, then BAM! straight into my finger) Its just a hair above my palm on the finger, i swear it hit the bone.

I bled like a stuck pig at first but it stopped and has just about healed, but its still slightly swollen and if i try to make flex it or make a tight fist, it feels like i'm being electrocuted in that finger. I assume nerve damage. Is there anything a DR can do or will it eventually heal?

wth, asking a bunch of cowboy fans for medical advice..heh heh

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rynochop;3901318 said:
Dang i shoulda started this thread, couple saturdays ago i literally stabbed my left index finger, not slice, but point of knife in first. (was trying to get that membrane off some ribs and was supporting the pan with my left hand and was cutting down the bone, got hung up, then BAM! straight into my finger) Its just a hair above my palm on the finger, i swear it hit the bone.

I bled like a stuck pig at first but it stopped and has just about healed, but its still slightly swollen and if i try to make flex it or make a tight fist, it feels like i'm being electrocuted in that finger. I assume nerve damage. Is there anything a DR can do or will it eventually heal?

wth, asking a bunch of cowboy fans for medical advice..heh heh

I think you should amputate. :muttley:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you were not looking for love in all the wrong places you would not have got that injury. Nice that you made up a basketball story to try and cover it up...But Uncle BP knows what really happened. :p:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Don't worry...You're good.

[youtube]RHOEtcGoLdI[/youtube]

Warick

Reaction score
When I was a teen, I was bitten by a cat near the end of my index finger. I cleaned it up, put a band aid on it, and went on my way. The next morning when I woke up, the end of my finger looked like E.T.'s. When I took the band aid off, it was really bad, so I went to doctor.

Doc took one look, shook his head, and told me that he hoped I had a high tolerance level for pain, because the finger was infected, and cleaning wasn't going to be fun. He wasn't kidding. He grabbed some chemical probably alcohol, a large stack of guaze, and some sutures. He pulls the skin back on my finger, and starts scrubbing, like he's sanding down an old piece of furniture. Hurt like hell. After about an hour, he sews it up, and sends me on my way. Still have the scar, and it's quite visible.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;3901331 said:
If you were not looking for love in all the wrong places you would not have got that injury. Nice that you made up a basketball story to try and cover it up...But Uncle BP knows what really happened. :p:
:eekmouse:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, you can always go with the whole "Chicks Dig Scares" angle.

:)

Eskimo

Reaction score
Warick;3902087 said:
When I was a teen, I was bitten by a cat near the end of my index finger. I cleaned it up, put a band aid on it, and went on my way. The next morning when I woke up, the end of my finger looked like E.T.'s. When I took the band aid off, it was really bad, so I went to doctor.

Doc took one look, shook his head, and told me that he hoped I had a high tolerance level for pain, because the finger was infected, and cleaning wasn't going to be fun. He wasn't kidding. He grabbed some chemical probably alcohol, a large stack of guaze, and some sutures. He pulls the skin back on my finger, and starts scrubbing, like he's sanding down an old piece of furniture. Hurt like hell. After about an hour, he sews it up, and sends me on my way. Still have the scar, and it's quite visible.

He was either incompetent or a masochist or maybe both.

A quick ring finger block that takes 5 minutes and a couple dollars worth of meds would have made the procedure near painless.

For those who don't want or can't afford stitches from a doc, a good cleaning and Krazy glue or steri-strips can work pretty well for smaller lacerations. Depending on what cut you, just make sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3900880 said:
Keep it clean. If the cut is on the eyebrow itself, watch out. A hair follicle is a breeding ground for a possible infection.

That said, I've got three scars across my left thumb. One from skinning fish and the knife slipped, but didn't go to the doctor for it. Hydrogen peroxide and kept it clean.

The oldest scar runs from the outside bottom corner of the nail, along the outside of the thumb and then underneath to the crease under the knuckle. Got that one with a hammer while manually stamp marking a steel beam. The letter "I" slipped and the outside of the thumb caught the full force of the hammer, through the welding glove. Ripped the meat right apart. I was dripping blood out of glove before I could pull it off. Washed it out with hydrogen peroxide, taped it over with a gauss pad, wrapped a paper towel over that with some electrical tape, cut the thumb hole out of the glove and went back to work.

Ever since then, my thumb nail grows with a weak point about 1/5th of the way in from the outside. Thing is always breaking off at that point.

Point of that? Keep it clean, and if you don't mind the scar you'll most likely be okay.

Safe side says hit up a doctor as soon as you can though.

And yet you're still able to write terrific posts that vaporize trolls and mewling gob****es. Well done!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only logical reason, and frankly it's not a very logical one if you ask me, to not get the stitches is cause you just want an uglier scare to brag about.

It's beyond stupid, IMO, to not get the stitches. The chances of infections, the fact that it will be very difficult to keep the cut clean enough, to allow it proper healing time, just makes it not very bright to simply ignore getting stitches.

Especially if you like playing basketball then you're wasting your time not getting them cause you won't be playing more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time anymore before the cut reopens and you bleed everywhere.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
just use super glue it closes it right up

tko112204

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3902805 said:
The only logical reason, and frankly it's not a very logical one if you ask me, to not get the stitches is cause you just want an uglier scare to brag about.

It's beyond stupid, IMO, to not get the stitches. The chances of infections, the fact that it will be very difficult to keep the cut clean enough, to allow it proper healing time, just makes it not very bright to simply ignore getting stitches.

Especially if you like playing basketball then you're wasting your time not getting them cause you won't be playing more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time anymore before the cut reopens and you bleed everywhere.

You realize stitches cost money, right?

When I was caddying I didn't have health insurance, and I've Super Glued many a cut. Works like a charm. Just make sure the cut is clean first, spread the glue in it, and hold it shut for a little bit. Should be fine.