What has the board heard about D Summers

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He was the most heralded RB ever to come out of South Carolina league ball. And he imploded at USC like Derek Watson did although I don't think he is as bad as Derek mentality wise.

What has been the talk in Big D about him and how does the board feel about his chances this year?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone said:
He was the most heralded RB ever to come out of South Carolina league ball. And he imploded at USC like Derek Watson did although I don't think he is as bad as Derek mentality wise.

What has been the talk in Big D about him and how does the board feel about his chances this year?
He shot himself in the foot by showing up late to Mini Camp. Right now I'd say he's in Parcells' doghouse and needs to have a good camp to make the team. I think he'll probably be on the PS instead. They know he has talent, they know he's trying to mature. He just may not be there yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's behind the 8-ball already for showing up late to a team activity. He needs to impress during training camp to stand a chance of earning even a practice squad spot.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile said:
He shot himself in the foot by showing up late to Mini Camp. Right now I'd say he's in Parcells' doghouse and needs to have a good camp to make the team. I think he'll probably be on the PS instead. They know he has talent, they know he's trying to mature. He just may not be there yet.

Well that has D Summers all over it all right. I guess he can't learn or has self defeating behaviors or both.

He has talent; in gobs. Hope he can mature quickly enough to show some of it. Thanks for the info all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How does this kid not know to be on time to minicamp?

Most undrafted free agents would be there a hour early.

To me, this says Summers either doesn't care or is too stupid.

He should have been cut on the spot.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc said:

He wasn't actually signed so there was no contract to cut. As a matter of fact I dont recall hearing him being signed at all afterwords either

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I guess it was a quiet signing. I just remember it being repeted he was invited on a tryout basis to mini camps

Parcells not having commented on this signing clearly shows he was not on board and is retiring after this season. Summers is destroying the team.

Parcells silence is deafening

MONT17

Reaction score
granted RBs can come out of nowhere like at Samkon Gado last year... for that reson alone he is worth and extended look!!!

last year the boys carried JUJO, MB3, ATRAIN, TT and a FB on the 53... there is room for him to make this team! the WOODY DANTZERs runs will not do it... he is going to have to show some staying power!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
granted RBs can come out of nowhere like at Samkon Gado last year... for that reson alone he is worth and extended look!!!

Well, Gado for one is not an idiot. He finished his degree and is preparing for med school. Education might not get you far in this league -- but it does teach you basic skills..... like be on time for your first day of training camp.

Gado is a high character kid as well -- No one will ever say that about Summers.

You really can't compare these guys at all.

cowboyblue31

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
I guess it was a quiet signing. I just remember it being repeted he was invited on a tryout basis to mini camps

Parcells not having commented on this signing clearly shows he was not on board and is retiring after this season. Summers is destroying the team.

Parcells silence is deafening

hahaha good one! :laugh1:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he is probably PS material at this point. He maynot be much in the blocking and recieving parts of the game and still needs to learn on how to be a pro. he probably is not that good on special teams, which takes heart and dedication and most coaches including parcells want their 2nd and 3rd stringers to play special teams. But if he lasts on the PS, which I think he will, its a good player with good potential.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I am not sure about that, as you all know, he was late for his first meeting with cowboys and parcells.

To top that off, on pass plays, he just went through the motions, as well as blocking with just half attempt, the running back coach was really ticked off. So, unless his attitude changes, probably not.

do you guys remember reshard lee? Remember what parcells said about him, he was concerned about his blocking, that he would get the QB killed. To me, Summers is just like that or worse, when you didnt get drafted, got cut from your college team, and needing a job, and you just go half hearted interest in blocking and pass play receiving, like you dont need to do that, just run, then you wont make it in the NFL.

Reshard Lee sure didnt.
Just my thoughts, though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:

LOL.... yeah, I remember the story about Herrion a season or two ago when he got invited. Drove down, couldn't afford a hotel so he slept in his car and practiced the next morning or some such. Damn shame about that kid.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
LOL.... yeah, I remember the story about Herrion a season or two ago when he got invited. Drove down, couldn't afford a hotel so he slept in his car and practiced the next morning or some such. Damn shame about that kid.

what kinda car was Herrion driving then? a Winabego?!! :laugh1:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
He wasn't actually signed so there was no contract to cut. As a matter of fact I dont recall hearing him being signed at all afterwords either
He was not signed for the rookie mini-camp but as I recall he was signed and brought back for the regular mini-camp. At the second camp he not only showed up late but he loafed through several of the drills. On one particular play I read about all the other RB's had run the play correctly and caught the pass out of the backfield but Summers ran about 3/4 speed, was sloppy on the route and dropped the ball. So far he has not impressed the coaches.