What if Jimmy Johnson were hired as an advisor?

nathanlt

Reaction score
He may not be up to the full coaching duties, but if he carried the axe to send players to the asthma field, and cut them... then maybe players would snap out of the lackadaisical attitude they seem to have in the playoffs. I can see him giving pregame and halftime speeches.

Why not get Michael Irvin as well? The culture needs to be changed in Dallas!

DFWJC

Reaction score
He may not be up to the full coaching duties, but if he carried the axe to send players to the asthma field, and cut them... then maybe players would snap out of the lackadaisical attitude they seem to have in the playoffs. I can see him giving pregame and halftime speeches.

Just remember, Jimmy Johnson LOVED the Cowboys roster this year.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Just remember, Jimmy Johnson LOVED the Cowboys roster this year.
Most of us felt pretty confident with our roster. Nobody in today's NFL has a perfect roster anymore.
With a proactive GM tweaking it here and there along the way most of our problems down the stretch (LB, RB, DT) could have been fixed.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let it go...
:facepalm:

Ken

Reaction score

I doubt Jimmy would do it but I would love it if he did. Same with the Irvin idea...player psychology director lol

This is what they really need.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No chance. Jones did not want to share credit when Johnson was his head coach. It is illogical to believe he would be receptive of his team finally winning another championship, knowing observers will say, "It took Jimmy coming back for Jones to win again." Totally contradictory to his mindset.

yentl911

Reaction score
Jimmy is a legend. Why would he want to come back and deal with any of this? He is rich, comfortable and has a great TV gig. No chance.

JustChip

Reaction score
No chance. Jones did not want to share credit when Johnson was his head coach. It is illogical to believe he would be receptive of his team finally winning another championship, knowing observers will say, "It took Jimmy coming back for Jones to win again." Totally contradictory to his mindset.
This ^^^

But, as I posted in anutter thread, if Jerry and Jimmy are on friendlier terms now, Jerry might ask Jimmy his confidential, no bs assessment of Dak. Jerry would have to be assured it wouldn’t get out though.

He might would do the same with Parcells.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This ^^^

But, as I posted in anutter thread, if Jerry and Jimmy are on friendlier terms now, Jerry might ask Jimmy his confidential, no bs assessment of Dak. Jerry would have to be assured it wouldn’t get out though.

He might would do the same with Parcells.
Both men are lifelong friends. It would not surprise me if Jones has not already consulted Johnson privately of his opinion of Prescott. The same goes for Parcells and others also.

However, that specific effort, which would be smart honestly, would be getting outside input that no one else would ever know about unless someone squealed, lol. It would not pose any threat to Jones' particular mindset whatsoever.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy is basically retired. He has a part time gig, and no stress.
I am pretty sure would give Jerry free advice if Jerry reached out to him about it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think we are misunderstanding what an advisor is going to do. They're going to spend 90% of the time in an office setting. They wouldn't be cutting anyone, nor making pregame speeches. What you're recommending would just be undermining the HC which makes an already existing problem worse.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Most of us felt pretty confident with our roster. Nobody in today's NFL has a perfect roster anymore.
With a proactive GM tweaking it here and there along the way most of our problems down the stretch (LB, RB, DT) could have been fixed.
:hammer:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he would stroke out in 5 weeks with dealing with the crybaby players going over him to Jerry.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Not going to happen.

Jimmy has discussed how those roles require boot on the ground to do it correctly. He doesn't want to work in that role and have his name on it if he doesn't do it right.

John813

Reaction score
I doubt Jimmy wants a job outside of 1 day with the boys on Fox Sunday Countdown.

He's long retired.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
is this one of those hypothetical questions?

Hell yeah, he'll come back, he'll fire Jerry and take over the club.

Realistically this crap aint happening.