what if?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
just think for a minute, what if Wade Phillips continues the now long tradition of head coaches taking over a team, and their supposed bread and butter, in this case, Phillip's defensive mind, never comes to fruition in Dallas? the only coach I can recall that has come in and has left his fingerprints on his supposed specialty, and it's thrived, is Lovie Smith and the Bear's D, don't count this year, they are hurting on D

there's Tony Dungy, whose Colt's D has been average, although now it's coming on strong

Brian Billick's Raven O still stinks

Marvin Lewis' Bengal D still stinks

Jon Gruden's Buc O still stinks

who else did I leave out?

does anyone think this could happen to Wade here in Dallas? that the best our D will ever be is just good enough, but not the D expected for him coming here?

discuss amongst yourselves folks...

sidenote: for those who want us to focus strictly on getting offensive players this upcoming free agency and draft, I wouldn't advise it

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think 7 games is a little early to start worrying about this, especially when the teams has had so many injuries on defense

David

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1741150 said:
just think for a minute, what if Wade Phillips continues the now long tradition of head coaches taking over a team, and their supposed bread and butter, in this case, Phillip's defensive mind, never comes to fruition in Dallas? the only coach I can recall that has come in and has left his fingerprints on his supposed specialty, and it's thrived, is Lovie Smith and the Bear's D, don't count this year, they are hurting on D

there's Tony Dungy, whose Colt's D has been average, although now it's coming on strong

Brian Billick's Raven O still stinks

Marvin Lewis' Bengal D still stinks

Jon Gruden's Buc O still stinks

who else did I leave out?

does anyone think this could happen to Wade here in Dallas? that the best our D will ever be is just good enough, but not the D expected for him coming here?

discuss amongst yourselves folks...

sidenote: for those who want us to focus strictly on getting offensive players this upcoming free agency and draft, I wouldn't advise it

Dungy's D in Indy has always been decent-don't let the stats of a team playing Cover 2 fool you.

Billick was never an offensive genious-he thrived as OC in his last year in Minny b/c Randy Moss fell in their laps.

Lewis makes all the personnel decisions in Cincy(unlike Balt), and alot of the players he brought in are trash.

Gruden's O in their Super Bowl year was actually pretty darn good. But like with Lewis, he makes most of the personnel decisions, alot of them being bad.

Wade is working largely with Tuna's players-honestly, I never was high on the unit to begin with. WP had players in SD that is sorely desired here.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741154 said:
I think 7 games is a little early to start worrying about this, especially when the teams has had so many injuries on defense

David

I'm not worrying, it's just an idea that popped into my head

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BoysRule2;1741158 said:
Dungy's D in Indy has always been decent-don't let the stats of a team playing Cover 2 fool you.

Billick was never an offensive genious-he thrived as OC in his last year in Minny b/c Randy Moss fell in their laps.

Lewis makes all the personnel decisions in Cincy(unlike Balt), and alot of the players he brought in are trash.

Gruden's O in their Super Bowl year was actually pretty darn good. But like with Lewis, he makes most of the personnel decisions, alot of them being bad.

Wade is working largely with Tuna's players-honestly, I never was high on the unit to begin with. WP had players in SD that is sorely desired here.

Indy's D has been notoriously poor against the run, except for this year, there's a reason a coaches mantra is to stop the run 1st, both Bill and Wade, defensive minds, adhere to that rule

the point still remains, these coaches were all noted for coaching their respective sides of the field, and some of those units have failed to produce

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1741170 said:
Indy's D has been notoriously poor against the run, except for this year, there's a reason a coaches mantra is to stop the run 1st, both Bill and Wade, defensive minds, adhere to that rule

the point still remains, these coaches were all noted for coaching their respective sides of the field, and some of those units have failed to produce

The Cover 2 IS vulnerable to the run b/c they drop their LBs and Ss into coverage 80% of the time. Even that Tampa team that won the Super Bowl was vulnerable to it(Deuce McCalister had his best games against them).

It's not exactly "bend but don't break", but nonetheless the beauty of it is that you only allow the short underneath stuff-sure, time consuming drives are great b/c you wear down the opponents' D, but sometimes when your O is on the field too long on one possession, the chances of them making bone-headed mistakes and penalties are pretty high.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741154 said:

David

It is most certainly a concern... now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
YoMick;1741200 said:
It is most certainly a concern... now.

not really...I'll worry some if all the guys stay healthy the rest of he yr and they are still playing like they did at the end of last yr, but otherwise you are getting way ahead of yourself

Wade has a great track record on defense, and the vast majority of his teams saw the most improvement in the SECOND year after he arrived...

David

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741282 said:
not really...I'll worry some if all the guys stay healthy the rest of he yr and they are still playing like they did at the end of last yr, but otherwise you are getting way ahead of yourself

Wade has a great track record on defense, and the vast majority of his teams saw the most improvement in the SECOND year after he arrived...

David

We almost lost to Giants and lost the Pats. The ONLY 2 good teams we played.

IMO it is a concern now. Everytime an opposing QB throws deep "you have to cringe".... I do

I have faith in Phillips... I do... but maybe its the players moreso... injured or not

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741282 said:

David

Over the years, he's done an outstanding job utilizing talent. When he used the 3-4 in Denver, a !245 pd! Greg Kragen was the NT(even BACK then, NTs were still big, hurly burly 330+ pders). And they went on to have a Top 5 D and a trip to the SB.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;1741284 said:
We almost lost to Giants and lost the Pats. The ONLY 2 good teams we played.

IMO it is a concern now. Everytime an opposing QB throws deep "you have to cringe".... I do

I have faith in Phillips... I do... but maybe its the players moreso... injured or not

Buffalo has proven to a good team since their QB change, FWIW. They DID beat a good Baltimore team during this stretch. And Minny isn't as bad as their record indicates(their loss to us was the only one by more than 1 score).

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BoysRule2;1741289 said:
Buffalo has proven to a good team since their QB change, FWIW. They DID beat a good Baltimore team during this stretch. And Minny isn't as bad as their record indicates(their loss to us was the only one by more than 1 score).

I was talking strictly BAD offense against OUR defense. Buffalo's offense is bad.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Isn't our D ranked #1 in yards in the NFC?

We are 6-1 and lost to the best team in football...not a whole lot to fix

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Future 585;1741415 said:
Isn't our D ranked #1 in yards in the NFC?

We are 6-1 and lost to the best team in football...not a whole lot to fix

DING DING DING!

Some people will try anything they can think of to complain.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
We really won't know how good Wade's defense will be until the middle of next season. Most players and coaches have stated that it takes at least one season to learn a coach's new scheme.