What is it with the Cowboys and Offensive Linemen

Reaction score
I just don't understand it. I mean, the Cowboys are really doing a bang up job putting together a monster defense. Even on the offensive side of the ball, they have brought in one, possibly two Pro-Bowl TEs, top notch WRs, and a RB corps that, when healthy, can match up with some of the best....and how about our two-headed monster at QB?? Man, are they hot, or what?

This brings me to the one area of the team that, for whatever reason, they can't get right. Yes, the offensive line....and I mean offensive. So many bad decisions have been made in this area in just the past three years, you could write a book about it.

The worse, by far, has been 2nd rd. pick, Jacob Rogers. Not just for where he was taken, but the prevailing attitude about him at the time he was chosen. PFW said at the time what many other publications were saying, "Tends to coast in games & lacks passion...intensity & passion for the game are concerns". Isn't one of the first criteria for drafting a player, especially one that high in the draft, is that he likes to play football? Jerry Jones said it just the other day on MNF about TO, "He's one of those players who are passionate about the game. You don't have to kick him in the rear to get him to play". Wow, JJ, wish you would have thought about that before you took Rogers.
The very next pick for the 'Boys in that 2004 draft was Stephen Peterman. OG-OT Sean Locklear was sitting there ripe for the picking. Many teams had him #1 OG on their boards, but not us. We take Peterman, who, a few days ago, we let go. Where's Locklear these days, you ask? I don't think he saw much action in 2004, but then started all 16 games in 2005 at RT....ouch. Looks like he'll be there for the next several years. If he can start for one of the best OLs in the NFL, I think he could have solved our RT problem for the forseeable future.

Next, our Free Agent offensive line choices the past two years: We had the choice last year between signing Mike Wahle or Marco Rivera, both past Pro-Bowl OGs for Green Bay. We took Rivera. He ended up having back surgery & a so-so year. Wahle started all 16 games for the Panthers, and added another Pro-Bowl to his resume.

This year, we had a chance to get either Pro-Bowl OC-OG LeCharles Bentley, or up & coming OT Kevin Shaffer. Cleveland got them both. Bentley, unfortunately, had a knee injury first day at TC. Shaffer looks to be a solid addition to the RT position. Both are young up and coming players who appear to be ready to anchor the Brown's OL the next 6-7 years.

The Cowboys? They went out & got a has-been in Jason Fabini, and a never was in Kyle Kosier. Fabini will be lucky to make the team, and Kosier is a shell of what we had at LG for over a decade in Larry Allen.

Whatever the reason is that the Cowboys just can't put together a quality offensive line, I hope they figure it out soon. Because it seems to be the only thing between the Cowboys & another Super Bowl.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
The most important and biggest mistake we made in regards to the offensive line was letting Hudson Houck go.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
We missed on a few guys and took ALOT of defensive talent seriously ALOT.

We are a defensive team now get used to it i bet we give up 45 sacks but bledsoe has 4000 yards passing and glenn has 10 td's to go with owens 9

Angus

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Yes, the offensive line....and I mean offensive. So many bad decisions have been made in this area in just the past three years, you could write a book about it.

The worse, by far, has been 2nd rd. pick, Jacob Rogers. Not just for where he was taken, but the prevailing attitude about him at the time he was chosen. PFW said at the time what many other publications were saying, "Tends to coast in games & lacks passion...intensity & passion for the game are concerns". Isn't one of the first criteria for drafting a player, especially one that high in the draft, is that he likes to play football? Jerry Jones said it just the other day on MNF about TO, "He's one of those players who are passionate about the game. You don't have to kick him in the rear to get him to play". Wow, JJ, wish you would have thought about that before you took Rogers.
The very next pick for the 'Boys in that 2004 draft was Stephen Peterman. OG-OT Sean Locklear was sitting there ripe for the picking. Many teams had him #1 OG on their boards, but not us. We take Peterman, who, a few days ago, we let go. Where's Locklear these days, you ask? I don't think he saw much action in 2004, but then started all 16 games in 2005 at RT....ouch. Looks like he'll be there for the next several years. If he can start for one of the best OLs in the NFL, I think he could have solved our RT problem for the forseeable future.

Next, our Free Agent offensive line choices the past two years: We had the choice last year between signing Mike Wahle or Marco Rivera, both past Pro-Bowl OGs for Green Bay. We took Rivera. He ended up having back surgery & a so-so year. Wahle started all 16 games for the Panthers, and added another Pro-Bowl to his resume.

This year, we had a chance to get either Pro-Bowl OC-OG LeCharles Bentley, or up & coming OT Kevin Shaffer. Cleveland got them both. Bentley, unfortunately, had a knee injury first day at TC. Shaffer looks to be a solid addition to the RT position. Both are young up and coming players who appear to be ready to anchor the Brown's OL the next 6-7 years.

The Cowboys? They went out & got a has-been in Jason Fabini, and a never was in Kyle Kosier. Fabini will be lucky to make the team, and Kosier is a shell of what we had at LG for over a decade in Larry Allen.

Whatever the reason is that the Cowboys just can't put together a quality offensive line, I hope they figure it out soon. Because it seems to be the only thing between the Cowboys & another Super Bowl.

Well, I guess Cleveland can't put a line together either, since Bentley is hurt and can't contribute. Coaches and scouts don't have crystal balls. When people are injured the best laid plans go awry -- and it is nobody's foreseeable fault.

Same thing with Peterson. No telling what he could have been had he not gotten injured so early. He will be picked up by someone and do well in time. He would still be in Dallas except for the numbers game.

Why do you not drive a Mercedes? If you don't, it is because you figured another type car could get you around just as about as well and a lot cheaper -- especially if you didn't have all the mooney you might want to spend. Same for choosing free agents.

You do, however, seem to have a crysdtal ball, since you already know Fabini is a has been, even though he hasn't played this year and has appeared recently in Pro Bowls. And you are sure Kosier is no good even though you haven't seen him play or been at practice.

If it weren't for your crystal ball I might think the offensive line could do very well this year. :D

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Cogan said:

This year, we had a chance to get either Pro-Bowl OC-OG LeCharles Bentley, or up & coming OT Kevin Shaffer. Cleveland got them both.

You say this as if we could just magically sign any player we wanted, regardless of the player's own priorities and wishes. A contract requires more than one signature.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
yes and the players we have allow us to stay well under the salary cap which in my opinion is better.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
No way do I want to get in a bidding war for players like Steve Hutchinson or Charles Bentley...to much $.

Since BP has been here he's missed on Rogers and Peterman, and most will say Johnson.

~ Rogers had the talent to be a starter, but injury's got the best of him and he mentally could not overcome them.

~ Peterman IMO was a flat out miss.

~ Johnson is still a viable player and is not as bad as many claim.

IMO BP has missed on two olineman since he's been here, BUT he's made up for it by getting Procter, and Columbo.

Columbo was a brilliant move assuming he continues to stay healthy and strong.

Looking at the defensive side of the ball...WOW! As a unit we are close to hitting a grandslam (for draft picks).

Starters:
T-new
James
Ware
Canty...this is the best pick in recent years.
Spears will be good.

Depth:
Ratliff
Fowler
Burnett

New Great potential:
Carpenter
Hatcher
Watson

And I've only listed defenseive players...not to mention Witten, or other FA's...

He has aquired so much more talent here it's not even funny, so when folks go after his two misses with Peterman and Rogers...well, I can't be hard on him because he's cleaned house everywhere else.