What is our 1st Round Pick Worth?

Dion2288

Reaction score
Continuing with the speculation and overanalyzing, I was curious what we'd actually get for our 1st if we trade down.

Watching FSN last night I say where the Texans have 5 picks in the first 98. Of most interest is that they have the first two picks in the 3rd.

How many would be interested in trading #18 overall for Houston's 2nd and a 3rd. The pick value chart shows that #18 is worth 900 points and their 2nd and 3rd is worth 840.

I'd do it. Would you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dion2288 said:
Continuing with the speculation and overanalyzing, I was curious what we'd actually get for our 1st if we trade down.

Watching FSN last night I say where the Texans have 5 picks in the first 98. Of most interest is that they have the first two picks in the 3rd.

How many would be interested in trading #18 overall for Houston's 2nd and a 3rd. The pick value chart shows that #18 is worth 900 points and their 2nd and 3rd is worth 840.

I'd do it. Would you?

It would depend on what players are still on the board at that time.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Hell no.

Why not just trade away all our picks and be done with it?

Why is it so freakin' difficult to make the dang pick when it comes up and stop trying to get cute and miss out on a good player?

This team could pick up a starter at 18.

The odds of doing so in the second become more difficult because of talent and open spots for starters.

The trade down theory is based in greed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would be in favor of trading down. I agree with the previous poster in that you have to see who's on the board but yeah, if we could get Houston's 2nd and 3rd pick, I'd do it. 33rd is like a first round pick and 65th is like a 3rd round pick. I"d do that trade. Maybe ask for a conditional 3rd in 07.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
Hell no.

Why not just trade away all our picks and be done with it?

Why is it so freakin' difficult to make the dang pick when it comes up and stop trying to get cute and miss out on a good player?

This team could pick up a starter at 18.

The odds of doing so in the second become more difficult because of talent and open spots for starters.

The trade down theory is based in greed.

I don't know that I agree with this. Every draft is different. Most believe that there are 12 Blue Chips in this draft. After that, the talent level from about 13 to 50 is pretty close to the same. Same with 51 to the end of the third. For us, the strength of the draft is in the 2nd and 3rd IMO. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at the talent and making a decision to increase your chances of success by adding another pick in that 13 to 50 area. Just good business to me.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
If we have an opportunity to pick up another 3rd or 4th...I'd be happy, BUT not at the risk of losing an impact player like Wimbley or Carpenter. If both Lawson and Wimbley are gone by 18....take Carpenter and don't look back. We need one of these three IMO.

Now what none of us know is how BP feels about Burnett at the starting OLB once he's healthy. Maybe they are thinking draft a Cocong, and have him compete against a healthy Burnett????

To me this is the unknown and the question mark of whether we go OLB in the first...

If we do, then we basically are throwing away another 2nd round pick in Burnett....

conner01

Reaction score
i would trade with the texans for their 2nd, but only if they thru in their 07 1st rnd pick which will likly be high. 18 for the first pick in rnd two this yr and their 1st next year, not bad. other than that i see us trading down to about 24 and picking up n extra pick and taking carpenter

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
If we do, then we basically are throwing away another 2nd round pick in Burnett....

I think after what we saw with our LBs last year -- it is clear that anyone in a backup role is going to see considerable playing time - you really need to be able to rotate those OLBs a bit - Burnett played both sides last year and I expect Ware is going to move around more this year -- even as a backup Burnett has the potential to see 25-30 plays a game.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think after what we saw with our LBs last year -- it is clear that anyone in a backup role is going to see considerable playing time - you really need to be able to rotate those OLBs a bit - Burnett played both sides last year and I expect Ware is going to move around more this year -- even as a backup Burnett has the potential to see 25-30 plays a game.

I don't disagree, but you'd sure like to see your 2nd rounders starting...Having 3 OLB's that can rotate and stay fresh is important, but just looking at our last few years in the 2nd round we have not done well.

The best scenario last year would have been to draft Josh Bullocks at FS, but the Saints took him above us...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I would rather Indy come a calling with their 1st and second.
900 - Cowboys
Indy's 1st - 620
Indy's 2nd - 284

This may leave us in prime position to get a player we want and get one that dropped at the end of the second round.