What is "talent"?!

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I was back and forth on "it's the coaching" then "it's the players". Obviously it's a combination, since previous coaches like Parcells with completely different styles didn't push us over the top either.

But lets explore what "talent" is.

Most people agree it's speed, strength/size/genetics, hands, etc.

BUT, the problems is, I also believe the unmeasurable stuff is also just as important:

Heart
Brains
Focus
Confidence
Study habits
Anticipation
Savy
Experience
Leadership
Intensity
Consistency

These are the areas we are lacking. Some are coachable, some come with experience, hard practice, and persevering through tough times.

Thoughts?

I do think a few players and coaches need to be switched out at this point, even if for the purpose of getting a running start for next season. The window could be closing a bit cap wise and TO/FLO etc wise.

LarryCanadian

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2354145 said:
I was back and forth on "it's the coaching" then "it's the players". Obviously it's a combination, since previous coaches like Parcells with completely different styles didn't push us over the top either.

BUT, the problems is, I also believe the unmeasurable stuff is also just as important:

Heart
Brains
Focus
Confidence
Study habits
Anticipation
Savy
Experience
Leadership
Intensity
Consistency

These are the areas we are lacking. Some are coachable, some come with experience, hard practice, and persevering through tough times.

Thoughts?

I do think a few players and coaches need to be switched out at this point, even if for the purpose of getting a running start for next season. The window could be closing a bit cap wise and TO/FLO etc wise.

LarryCanadian

Great post, we are missing all of those things you measured. People distinguish between talent and all of that...stuff, but realistically talent is useless without it.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Talent is nothing more than potential. Right now, our talent is being squandered.

zeromaster

Reaction score
"Character is what you are in the dark.
We must work while the clock, she is a-ticking!"
imageslord-john-whorfin-small1.jpg

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2354145 said:

Heart
Brains
Focus
Confidence
Study habits
Anticipation
Savy
Experience
Leadership
Intensity
Consistency

Thoughts?

Not to pick on the kid, but Bobby Carpenter is the absolute embodiment of what you are saying here. Kid has all of the physical attributes but lacks the mental/intangible ones.