What is this obsession with a 4th Rd pick?

jack2

Reaction score
Been hearing and reading a lot about that the cowboys must somehow obtain a 4th round pick! even if they have to trade down and get a lower 1st or 2nd Rd pick plus a 4th, don,t get it!, thugh sometimes you hit on a lower round player, the percentages of getting a good to great player godown the lower the pick, did some research on the history of the cowboys drafts and found that probably we done good 5 to 6 times in the 40yrs+ that dallas has been in the nfl, mostly Offensive lineman. i rather get a great player than one solid player and one bench player!

DBoys

Reaction score
jack2 said:
Been hearing and reading a lot about that the cowboys must somehow obtain a 4th round pick! even if they have to trade down and get a lower 1st or 2nd Rd pick plus a 4th, don,t get it!, thugh sometimes you hit on a lower round player, the percentages of getting a good to great player godown the lower the pick, did some research on the history of the cowboys drafts and found that probably we done good 5 to 6 times in the 40yrs+ that dallas has been in the nfl, mostly Offensive lineman. i rather get a great player than one solid player and one bench player!

Because we gave it up for Canty and struck gold with him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They don't have to trade down in the first to get a fourth either. They could trade down in the second or even do what they did last year to get the pick for Canty. Teams like fourths because its like starting the draft all over again and you had a day to think about who's left. There seems to be a pretty good dropoff in talent from the fourth to fifth also.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will not trade down purposely just to get a 4th. They will only make the trade if the value is not there they want at #18, or if they feel they can get a palyer they want a few picks later, and then they can pick up an extra pick.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
jack2 said:
actually, i agree with you man.. ive been thinking the same thing.. i keep reading over and over how badly the cowboys want to pick that 4th rounder back up.. i dont get it either.. id rather stay where we are at and pick the best player for us..

MissionCoach

Reaction score
If we do trade down in any given round...based on our rash of bad luck with our 2nd round picks, I would rather trade down in the 2nd round...just a thought :D

ddh33

Reaction score
The fourth round is like the first round all over again. Every year there are players who weren't drafted on the first day that you just can't believe are sitting there. That fourth rounder often is the difference between a good draft and a great draft.

In Dallas' case, I think it's important (although not absolutely necessary) to get a fourth rounder. There will be some good value there.

DandyDon

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
The fourth round is like the first round all over again. Every year there are players who weren't drafted on the first day that you just can't believe are sitting there. That fourth rounder often is the difference between a good draft and a great draft.

In Dallas' case, I think it's important (although not absolutely necessary) to get a fourth rounder. There will be some good value there.
:hammer: