What kind of NFL back do you think Bucky Irving will be

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I ask because he us a guy we have shown some interest

On one hand his size/athleticism combo is downright bad. 190 pounds

On the other hand, he does seem like the type of back that could be better than the sum of his parts.

Carson

Reaction score
I love Bucky Irving!

IMO, too small to be your lead/every down back. Great pass catcher, amazing top speed.

I see a lot of Andre Ellington (older), Tony Pollard (Cowboy comparison) and De'Von Achane (recent) in his game.

Pollard was raw against pass protection, had great quick speed but not elite break away speed.

I would love to draft him. But this would likely mean Dowdle is your RB1 with Bucky coming into sub packages

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I love Bucky Irving!

IMO, too small to be your lead/every down back. Great pass catcher, amazing top speed.

I see a lot of Andre Ellington (older), Tony Pollard (Cowboy comparison) and De'Von Achane (recent) in his game.

Pollard was raw against pass protection, had great quick speed but not elite break away speed.

I would love to draft him. But this would likely mean Dowdle is your RB1 with Bucky coming into sub packages
I would argue Pollard’s initial acceleration (prior to his injury) was special. His long speed was very good but not exceptional.

Really surprised by Irving’s disappointing testing.

visionary

Reaction score
I ask because he us a guy we have shown some interest

On one hand his size/athleticism combo is downright bad. 190 pounds

On the other hand, he does seem like the type of back that could be better than the sum of his parts.
Yeah, sort of like Deuce Vaughn
Im stoked

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Irving is your classic tape-over-traits gamer guy. Someone comped him to Theo Riddick, and I like that.

I think Irving going to have to catch a break in the NFL and find the right offense to be successful. His frame limits him from becoming more than a complementary back, but more importantly, it limits him from being a pass blocker, so now he starts fitting in a pretty narrow offensive role. He can catch, and he's a better inside runner than his frame suggests, so I think he can be a Pierre Thomas or Riddick type.

The big question is, does your offense have a home for a guy like that. Some QBs target their RBs relentlessly, but Dak never really has. And we don't like to do RB rotations either. The gameplan in Dallas for probably 15 years - at least since Marion Barber got his big deal - has seemingly been to find one workhorse back and feed him 20 gut runs a game. Spell backs don't get carries unless the starter is hurt, or they pull a Pollard and are just too good to ignore. If Riddick was drafted as a late rounder in the Garrett era, we probably would have released him.

Irving's a good player, but I don't think he fits here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They want to run a two back system, but I think it's going to be more like what we saw last season. #1 back gets the majority of the touches, where the backup just allows him to catch his breath and takes a few series a game. Irving isn't that type of back and Dowdle seems like that #2 back.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They want to run a two back system, but I think it's going to be more like what we saw last season. #1 back gets the majority of the touches, where the backup just allows him to catch his breath and takes a few series a game. Irving isn't that type of back and Dowdle seems like that #2 back.
I could see Irving being a double dip possibility if he lasts to their 5th

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As a change of pace back, he is a good fit, but not a teams top runner
If you can trust Allen or Estime in pass pro, they may work as a tandem with him. I dont think Irving is ever going to be a guy you want in pass pro

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I would argue Pollard’s initial acceleration (prior to his injury) was special. His long speed was very good but not exceptional.

Really surprised by Irving’s disappointing testing.
But then again....he's practically the same player that was before him...CJ Verdell....still kinda surprised CJ didn't make more of a splash in the league.