What Position Did Your Head Coach Play?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Uncertain whether all NFCE team fans are represented on the Zone. Was just thinking about it and decided to ask the question ...

What actual playing time (if any) has your (meaning your respective) head coach had in football. Did he come from an offensive position and does that have an influence On his method of coaching your "respective" teams.

Here's mine ...

Andy Reid
Played for...

Brigham Young University (1979-81)
San Francisco State (1983-85)

He was an ex-offensive lineman (Guard) -- lead the nation in quality offensive lines and pass protection.

Is Bill Parcells more offensively/defensively inclined?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Parcells was a LB and I think the Lions drafted him. I could be wrong there.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Andy Reid played SIX years of college ball??

animal_house_photo.jpg

Wimbo

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Parcells was a LB and I think the Lions drafted him. I could be wrong there.

linebacker for Wichita State 1961 to 1963.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
956-037.jpg

Sounds like someone stayed around for his Master's Degree ...:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure collegiate programs are only available to UNDERGRADUATE students.

blindzebra

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I'm pretty sure collegiate programs are only available to UNDERGRADUATE students.

Actually it's all about how many years of illegibility you have, redshirt a year, graduate with your class and take ballroom dancing...or go to grad school.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
TheHustler said:

That statement is almost certainly untrue if taken literally. However, that still doesn't take away from the fact that someone can stay in college longer to obtain higher academia.

If used in a general sense of the word, "College" can apply to 2/4 year stints to obtain undergraduate degrees or an additional 2 more years (...or a total of 4-6 years) of University work to obtain their Masters Degree.

Now if you meant to say College Football Career" ...that's a whole different degree of understanding.:rolleyes:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Anxious about the draft PT ?

This topic is way out there.

Gibbs attended Cerritos Junior College and then San Diego State, where he played tight end, offensive guard and linebacker on the football team, coached by Don Coryell. Gibbs graduated from SDSU in 1964 and earned a master's degree in 1966.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
trickblue said:
RB, University of Alabama...

Wait!! Are you referring to yourself TB?:bow:

I played RB (#44) for the the US Air Force in Europe league; we had sveral semi-pro players who were cut or released and joined the Air Force.

I'm impressed TB.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Parcells played linebacker for Colgate. His dad stressed being educated to him. Parcells dad was an fbi Agent and wanted parcells to go to a good academic college, parcells wanted to play football so the compromise was Colgate. A great university but low quality athletics. Parcells went there for one year and did not like the approach the football program took and felt he would never make it as a pro competing at colgate, he took a semester off went home to new jersey and got his dad to allow him to go to witchita state a bigger division 1 program. He went there and graduated then got drafted and couldnt cut it with detroit...Then he helped coach a new jersey high school where he installed a defensive scheme the school has been using for like 40 years then went to witchita state and become a graduate assistant, met his wife and started his coaching career.

His career took him all over the country at different colleges, one interesting place was army where he applied as the linebackers coach along with a guy named jimmy johnson, they hired parcells.

Anyway just wanted to show that parcells wasnt just a dumb jock, he is very intelligent and went to colgate, lots of people do not know that..they think he just went to witchita state.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Wait!! Are you referring to yourself TB?:bow:

I played RB (#44) for the the US Air Force in Europe league; we had sveral semi-pro players who were cut or released and joined the Air Force.

I'm impressed TB.

No no... my coach... most of my passing game was left in my car... :D

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Tom Landry was a head-hunting, 6-2, 200-pound defensive back for Texas and the New York Giants.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan ...Oklahoma A&M University (now Oklahoma State) where he earned four letters as a guard.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Also, atleast when I played you had 5 years to play 4 and your eligibility clock started the moment you step foot on to a campus that had a football program. The clock applied whether you played or not.