What the hell is up with the playcalling?

landryscorner

Reaction score
After the first quarter i was elated how the first drive went for our boys, but after the second and third quarte-I was like "what the hell is up with the playcalling-what happenned to those long balls-seems like leftwich was stealing our plays....we should of been throwing those bullets to the skinny posts. Why is it that ever since parcells got here everytime we get up by a couple of points we go conservative, I'm tired of this sissy playing by our team, i miss our aggressive teams of the past...this run the balll eat the clock hope to win attitude is bull@@@@. If bledsoe is having flashbacks of when the pats sat him for brady he better be worried, He was on NFL network saying that theres no more loyalty in the NFL ( referring to his Patriot-Brady turmoil) but it's not about loyalty bledsoe, if you dont perform your out plain and simple! A quarterback can't play if he throws the ball into the ground, throws stupid passes without seeing the field, and underthrows or overthrows....

I hope bill has a miserable week with the media and bledose also they deserve all the flak

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My only problem with the play calling was 1 thing of offense (running up the middle when running outside was working) and 1 thing on defense. That was defensively becoming more reactionary after going up 10-0 rather than being aggressive like at the beginning of the game.

I don't think JJ is an up the gut runner. I think he needs to use his speed to run wide.

The pass calling wasn't a problem, Bledsoe was.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc said:
My only problem with the play calling was 1 thing of offense (running up the middle when running outside was working) and 1 thing on defense. That was defensively becoming more reactionary after going up 10-0 rather than being aggressive like at the beginning of the game.

I don't think JJ is an up the gut runner. I think he needs to use his speed to run wide.

The pass calling wasn't a problem, Bledsoe was.

I agree that if Bledsoe had not made those egregious(sp.) errors, we would've won going away. There was only one horrible play called and that was the run on 3rd and 14. That was outright boneheaded. Other than that, it was the players fault. I said it on another thread and I will say it here: execution was the problem, not playcalling.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
We have no real offensive coordinator; even when Payton was here we didn't. Right now we have an offensive-coordinator-by-committee scheme, and Parcells has the final word on what play to call. I don't really know if this is a good thing or a bad thing or if it had something to do with the INTs Drew threw. The one thing that is most nysterious about those picks is that they all came when the opponent nedded them the most - as if they baited our coaches into calling those plays knowing Drew was ripe for the INTs.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
I agree that if Bledsoe had not made those egregious(sp.) errors, we would've won going away. There was only one horrible play called and that was the run on 3rd and 14. That was outright boneheaded. Other than that, it was the players fault. I said it on another thread and I will say it here: execution was the problem, not playcalling.

I would not understimate the importance of that call. The game completely turned around after that call. We missed the FG, and then Jax jumped back into the game.

Why was that call so pivotal?

Because it sends a very clear message to the offense: the coaching staff has no confidence in you to make a play on 3rd & 14. Even with all of the weapons we have (Glenn, TO, Witten), we're going to play it conservative, kick the FG, and let our defense keep it close.

Instead of going for the jugular, and throwing it downfield, our approach was: "we made a mistake, let's just take the easy 3 points."

This is not the sign of an aggressive, confident coaching staff.

Look at all of the 2nd & short opportunities we had. The perfect time to run a play-action fake and hit a long out or seam route. We ran up the gut almost every instance I can recall from yesterday.

Our philosphy just seemed overall conservative: play it safe, play the percentages, don't make mistakes. Regardless of what the passing stats indicate, it just seemed that we headed into the game with a "just don't lose" gameplan. The approach may work sometimes, but we seem to be a bit hung up on the "don't make mistakes" part.

Still in all, with all the weapons we have, I'd like to see us flex our muscles a bit more on 2nd & short ... or 3rd & long.

Shaun

Reaction score
BulletBob said:
I would not understimate the importance of that call. The game completely turned around after that call. We missed the FG, and then Jax jumped back into the game.

Why was that call so pivotal?

Because it sends a very clear message to the offense: the coaching staff has no confidence in you to make a play on 3rd & 14. Even with all of the weapons we have (Glenn, TO, Witten), we're going to play it conservative, kick the FG, and let our defense keep it close.

Instead of going for the jugular, and throwing it downfield, our approach was: "we made a mistake, let's just take the easy 3 points."

This is not the sign of an aggressive, confident coaching staff.

Look at all of the 2nd & short opportunities we had. The perfect time to run a play-action fake and hit a long out or seam route. We ran up the gut almost every instance I can recall from yesterday.

Our philosphy just seemed overall conservative: play it safe, play the percentages, don't make mistakes. Regardless of what the passing stats indicate, it just seemed that we headed into the game with a "just don't lose" gameplan. The approach may work sometimes, but we seem to be a bit hung up on the "don't make mistakes" part.

Still in all, with all the weapons we have, I'd like to see us flex our muscles a bit more on 2nd & short ... or 3rd & long.

I don't think there is coaching staff in the league that is confident about 3rd and 14.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Shaun said:
I don't think there is coaching staff in the league that is confident about 3rd and 14.

Yeah, and there aren't many that run their big back off-tackle on 3rd and 14 deep in the opponent's territory, setting up a FG attempt for an unproven kicker.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Shaun said:
no doubt... that is the classic second guess. if they get a sack (very likely), or INT then we post "bill threw away 3 points".

i didn't like the playcalling overall, but it would ahve looked SPECTACULAR if we had even a marginal QB play yesterday (not a bone-head throwing 3 bad INTs, many bad passes and missign open guys).

ravidubey

Reaction score
This team has to pass to set up the run; the last time Parcells had that situation was 1994 and you'd have to say the league has changed since then. I think it's safe to say this is somewhat new territory for Parcells having weapons like Owens, Glenn, and Witten.

Play-calling would have been better yesterday had Bledsoe not thrown that first pick. You could even say that playcall was aggressive as a conservative attitude would have been to run out the clock.

There was crappy officiating-- every time Dallas made a play they would make a call while Jacksonville got away with similar actions. Witten gets called for pushing off, while Matt Jones pushes Anthony Henry down by the helmet and doesn't get flagged.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I hated the onside kick as well. Dallas best chance would have been to just kick the ball to the Jaguars.

How often do onside kicks work? Very seldom. If you have no timeouts and can not mathematically stop the other team from running out the clock go ahead and try the onside kick.

That was another very bad call. Dallas would have had a much more realistic chance of tieing that game had it not been for that bonehead move.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I hated the onside kick as well. Dallas best chance would have been to just kick the ball to the Jaguars.

How often do onside kicks work? Very seldom. If you have no timeouts and can not mathematically stop the other team from running out the clock go ahead and try the onside kick.

That was another very bad call. Dallas would have had a much more realistic chance of tieing that game had it not been for that bonehead move.
i didn't like it either but another second guess.

kick it deep and we all cry "tuna is too conservative" or "tuna gave up" or "tuna just wants to rely on defense".

you guys just cherry pick things to criticize and don't factor a 60-minute game and 16-game season.

gbrittain

Reaction score
chinch said:
i didn't like it either but another second guess.

kick it deep and we all cry "tuna is too conservative" or "tuna gave up" or "tuna just wants to rely on defense".

you guys just cherry pick things to criticize and don't factor a 60-minute game and 16-game season.

First of all it is not a second guess on my part. I said before the ball was ever kicked to Jacksonville.

Hey, if you want to sing Koombayah and think everything is hunky dory then that is your right.

I saw a team that had terrible QB play which is not a surprise. I saw a conservative team on both offense and defense which is not a surprise. I saw no pass rush again which is no surprise.

It is not cherry picking if it has been an ongoing thing for years now. When Dallas is doing great and rolling along and then Dallas slips up with a game like yesterday then and only then will I agree that we are cherry picking.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I'll be one of the first ones to attack the playcalling if I felt that was the problem...yesterday was about NO EXECUTION!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I'll be one of the first ones to attack the playcalling if I felt that was the problem...yesterday was about NO EXECUTION!

I agree. It gets old hearing how it is always the play calling after a loss. Fact is we committed many penalties that put us in bad situation and that is hard to overcome. When you get right down to it the offense did not excute that goes for Bledsoe and others on offense.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

I am not happy at all with the play calling, but you are right the execution is what got Dallas nailed.

If I was a team and I was told that I must play an alleged "Good Team" I would pick the Cowboys. You can count on the Cowboys playing tight and not going for the jugular. It is a BP staple and it is proven not to work the four years he has been in Dallas. I do not care if it worked in New York, it does not work in Dallas.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. It gets old hearing how it is always the play calling after a loss. Fact is we committed many penalties that put us in bad situation and that is hard to overcome. When you get right down to it the offense did not excute that goes for Bledsoe and others on offense.

Flo holding call
Witten push off...and he did, then missed FG
Henry missed pic in hands
Roy's personal foul
Not to mention three pics

Had one of these things gone the other way...we'd most likely be singing a different toon today

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Flo holding call
Witten push off...and he did, then missed FG
Henry missed pic in hands
Roy's personal foul
Not to mention three pics

Had one of these things gone the other way...we'd most likely be singing a different toon today

Chances are your right. I said going into this game Dallas could not afford to make many mistakes aginst a good team and expect to win. Well we made mistakes and we lost. This team has 2 opitions they can sit around and say why me or they can go out and get ready for next weeks game aginst the skins. I think this team will be ready for Washington next week and I expect to see better play from this team.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Play calling was predictable

Bledsoe really in all seriousness seems to be suffering from the concussion he took in preseason, those INT were to obvious he was not rightin the head.

Defense did not live up to its billing, secondary got smacked hard and there was NO PASS RUSH after the 3rd Quaerter..

The Commanders will take the Boy's lunch money if they don't wakeup and keep playing not to lose.