What will be different for TO? WCO vs. Dallas O

31smackdown

Reaction score
Well..not too suprisingly, while forum members have mentioned it and BP has mentioned it, I have not seen one article about how TO's role in this offense will be different from his role in the WCO that Philly and the 49ers ran.

Does anyone know how the roles, routes and responsibilities change in this offense as compared to the WCO? Obviously terminology is going to be a little/a lot different but what is actual on field difference with the receivers that plays his position.. I think it's the X receiver?

I just thought it would be nice to have a football related thread about TO. :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
From the sounds of it, they'll want him to run more vertical routes. That's the biggest difference between the WCO and the Traditional scheme and Parcells said that Owens gives us more speed to the outside.

I believe that they'll still use him on a lot of horizontal stuff, forcing defenses to choose their poison, either him underneath or Glenn on the deep stuff. But outside of them throwing the ball less than the hyper-throwing Philly offense and probably running a bit more vertical routes there shouldn't be much of a difference.

A lot of people are taking too much into Parcells' "he won't catch 100 passes in this system", but T.O. has never caught 100 passes in any system.

Rich.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
From the sounds of it, they'll want him to run more vertical routes. That's the biggest difference between the WCO and the Traditional scheme and Parcells said that Owens gives us more speed to the outside.

I believe that they'll still use him on a lot of horizontal stuff, forcing defenses to choose their poison, either him underneath or Glenn on the deep stuff. But outside of them throwing the ball less than the hyper-throwing Philly offense and probably running a bit more vertical routes there shouldn't be much of a difference.

A lot of people are taking too much into Parcells' "he won't catch 100 passes in this system", but T.O. has never caught 100 passes in any system.

Rich.........

I agree. Thing with the WCO they use a lot of short passes that basically acts as part of their running game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Don't think TO aint gonna catch the ball. I think this is a set up for Bill Parcells.

I still say TO will catch over 60 balls and have over 1,400 yards receiving.

Bill prefers smash mouth. But he has shown he will adapt to his talent if he has to.

Givincer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich.........

Terrell Owens caught 100 passes in the 2002 season, in 14 games nonetheless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Don't think TO aint gonna catch the ball. I think this is a set up for Bill Parcells.

I still say TO will catch over 60 balls and have over 1,400 yards receiving.

Bill prefers smash mouth. But he has shown he will adapt to his talent if he has to.

I think those numbers are about right, I do think Bill is being honest when he says 100 catches is not going to happen.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Terrell Owens is not Randy Moss and it would be a mis-use of his talent to have him going deep a lot. I have always said that Owens would make a better RB than WR because he really doesn't have great hands but he is outstanding once he has the ball. Getting him the ball on short routes and letting him run with it is the best way to use him. He is quick and very difficult to bring down in the open field (unless you're Roy Williams).

We need to use him in pretty much the same way he has been used if we want to get the most out of his talent. Otherwise, we should have gone after Moulds instead or simply kept Keyshawn.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The WCO stresses shorter routes (heavy on the slants and quick outs) and run after the catch ability. That's why weaker armed QBs like Joe Montana and Jeff Garcia could thrive in the system.

Coach Parcells wasn't kidding when he said there will be an adjustment. But I don't see us making a talent like Owens do things he isn't good at.

However, it might be easier to make the adjustment out of the WCO than into it, as that system requires discipline to run to the script as timing is everything. The main difference will be getting used to the terminology, reads and cues, but especially the blocking.