What would we do without ESPN on the air?

sportsman

Reaction score
Being a big fan of college football. I was thinking today while watching the bowl games. What if ESPN went off the air. What would this mean to the average sports junkie.

Frozen700

Reaction score
that would be crazy.......but i think its enjoyable watching espn..even tho they annoy me sometimes

Don Corleone

Reaction score
sportsman;2526268 said:
Being a big fan of college football. I was thinking today while watching the bowl games. What if ESPN went off the air. What would this mean to the average sports junkie.

Aside from Monday Night Football, ESPN is off the air in my house, and I've never been happier.

:laugh2:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
It means there would be a different all sports channel in the same mold as BSPN

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
If ESPN went off the air, the world would be a better place.

Aids would cure it's self, and the Detroit Lions would never have another losing season again.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2526272 said:
Aside from Monday Night Football, ESPN is off the air in my house, and I've never been happier.

:laugh2:

Same, except I only watch if Dallas is playing on Monday Night. If not, then I don't bother with BSPN at all. I used to be a loyal viewer back in the 1980s before they decided to go tabloid. They lost me as a viewer forever over that, and I am certain i am not the only one.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RoadRunner;2526458 said:
Same, except I only watch if Dallas is playing on Monday Night. If not, then I don't bother with BSPN at all. I used to be a loyal viewer back in the 1980s before they decided to go tabloid. They lost me as a viewer forever over that, and I am certain i am not the only one.

Nope, I'm just like you. Now I see most of my ESPN on dcfanatic's clips. :)

Said it before, but it's a shame the old CNN-SI folded up shop when it did. It was pretty much like ESPN, only with less schtick and more substance.

Hard to believe ESPN has only gotten worse -- much worse -- since then.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Until they lose the Anti-Cowboy bias I refuse to watch any sportscenter crap they show including halftime stuff. As soon as the game is off so is that channel.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watch ESPNEWS and Mike and Mike. That's about it for me. I can't even catch up with my beloved Darren on NFL Live. I never know when the show airs or when he's going to be on.

jimmy40

Reaction score
sportsman;2526268 said:
It would suck. I watch ESPN a lot. I love it when they say something negative about the Cowboys because I get to come hear and watch the inevitable meltdown by the guys that say they never watch it but know exactly what was said as soon it was on. :laugh2:
of course it helps if you don't believe in all these make believe biases against the Cowboys:

Espn bias
DMN bias
Goodell bias
NFL refs bias
Hall of Fame bias
NFL competition committee bias
hater Troy Aikman bias
hater Ray Buck bias
hater Al Michaels bias and the 1,000 other biases that have been mentioned here.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Now that I have NFL Network, I rarely watch ESPN, except for during the football season to catch "The Blitz," "NFL Live," "Mike and Mike," "First Take," and highlights.

Off season, my channel stays on NFL Network. I'll watch, but I'm really not into, other sports like I am football. So without ESPN, I'd probably just have it tuned to NFL Network all the time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2526465 said:
Nope, I'm just like you. Now I see most of my ESPN on dcfanatic's clips. :)

Said it before, but it's a shame the old CNN-SI folded up shop when it did. It was pretty much like ESPN, only with less schtick and more substance.

Hard to believe ESPN has only gotten worse -- much worse -- since then.

I was wondering what happened to it. After 9/11, it just disappeared. I don't know whether that was because the network (CNN) wanted to devote most of its coverage to 9/11 news or that TNT/CNN-SI just took that opportunity to say goodbye to sports programming.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2526478 said:
I watch ESPNEWS and Mike and Mike. That's about it for me. I can't even catch up with my beloved Darren on NFL Live. I never know when the show airs or when he's going to be on.

That's what a DVR is for :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2526537 said:
That's what a DVR is for :D
Even when I do catch NFL Live, he's not always on there. So I gave up trying to catch him.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I doubt that you would see nearly as much coverage of college sports.

On the plus side, you also wouldn't have a network that can outbid most all competitors for the rights to games, etc.

We probably will not see a change in the current college football system with ESPN at the helm, it's too profitable.

ESPN is the most expensive channel for a cable/satelite provider to carry. But with their monopoly on sports, which company is really going to attract customers without offering ESPN to subscribers. The money that ESPN makes simply from cable subscribers (about 4 billion) is worth more than than CBS as a whole (~3.5 billion).

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2526478 said:

He's doing exactly what you'd expect him to be doing. Well-spoken, well-read guy, constantly providing good insight - while surrounded by total *****.