What would your plan be?

cowboybish

Reaction score
So Jerry has retained McCarthy as the head coach. We’re not sure about Quinn. What would you do if you were in charge of the Dallas Cowboys and moving forward?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Bring in an OC. Then draft bigger guys for the d-line and move Parsons back to LB. Rush him on 3rd down and passing situations. Also would get a couple of LBs as well. Try to also look for a #2 receiver. Change up return guys. Turpin is fast but can't seem to find holes when he does run. Also need to draft for o-line since Smith and Martin are almost at the end of their career.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Bring in an OC. Then draft bigger guys for the d-line and move Parsons back to LB. Rush him on 3rd down and passing situations. Also would get a couple of LBs as well. Try to also look for a #2 receiver. Change up return guys. Turpin is fast but can't seem to find holes when he does run. Also need to draft for o-line since Smith and Martin are almost at the end of their career.
I made a post about this yesterday, Turpin is cool, but he was a feel good story or something, time to move on and find someone to compete with him and possibly take the job over!!! Moving MIcah to LB yes, I agree!!! Let him go to work all off season focused on being a LB and working on the instincts of a LB, if he's serious about winning, and doing it for the team, he'll buy in! We have to get rid of gallup, maybe Bryant helps out in someway, but yes get another guy, Tolbert is a good 3rd or 4th option we're hoping.

We can NOT under value the LB position, we can't base it all on Overshown to come back and do the impossible. Get depth, a veteran, and some rookies, hell find a UFDA who might be a stud

RD21

Reaction score
So Jerry has retained McCarthy as the head coach. We’re not sure about Quinn. What would you do if you were in charge of the Dallas Cowboys and moving forward?
Fire McCarthy.
Do whatever it takes to hire Belichek.
Hire Jimmy as GM, or at minimum consultant.
Stay out of the way, & let these men do their jobs.
Enjoy the results.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Kick Jerry and Stephen out. Hire McClay as the GM. Fire McCarthy and hire Vrabel and let him pick his coaching staff.
Not any of the options… McCarthy is here and so is Jerry and Steven unfortunately so this is a moot post

visionary

Reaction score
We are “so close”
Why do anything?

Creeper

Reaction score
I actually think the plan is easy. Executing the plan will be harder, especially since Jerry is not a spender in free agency.

It is not rocket science. They need to focus on running the football and stopping the run.

My plan would be replace Quinn with a DC who is a strong personality, tough and disciplined. I want someone to instill discipline in the defense. No more playing as individuals. Everyone know your responsibility and do your job. The Cowboys must be more physical on defense.

I would begin a rebuild of the defensive line. I want bigger stronger, more physical DTs and DEs that can play the run and rush the passer. I assume my new DC would make sure me DEs contains the outside. I also assume my new DC would play traditional LBs positions with traditional LBs.

I would look for a LB corp with range and good instincts. I want guys like Sean Lee. LBs who see the play instantly are better than athletes who are slow to recognize what's happening and get a late start of the play.

I think the Cowboys already have enough talent in the secondary. We can make dues with the young safeties we have. Guys like Bell, Thomas, and Wilson, along with Makuamu can play safety well enough. Diggs, Bland, Gilmore, or even Lewis if they resign him will be good enough at CB. But Over time I want to make sure every player on my defense is physical and aggressive. Anyone not playing that style needs to go.

The one thing I want to make certain of is that my defense is 11 guys playing with discipline and as a unit. I don't want anyone worrying about individual accomplishments and statistics. Of course it is impossible to remove that from teh minds of players, but the priority has to be playing together.

On the offensive side, I would look for a real WR2. Gallup is not the guy. He is a WR3 or WR4 at best. And he gets too much money to be that. Cooks isn't that guy either. He is too small. Plus, I want all my WRs to block in the running and screen game. I would look for an Alvin Harper to play with my Michael Irvin (CeeDee Lamb). And I would instill in my offensive players it is not about them, it is about the team. CeeDee is great but he needs to understand the offense is better when everyone is included. Every ball cannot go to one guy no matter how good he is.

But the real issue on offense is the running game. I have no idea why the OL regressed but I would fix it. There is no magic bullet here. It might take a new OL coach. Or new players along the line. It might take years to improve incrementally, but my goal would be to have a dominant running game. Can't sign Pollard unless he is will to take a lot less than he get this year. They will have to use a draft pick on a RB and then sign some UDFAs. I would also figure out what #40 has. If he has any running ability I would look to incorporate the FB into the running game too. The more threats on the field, the bigger the advantage the offense has over the defense.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Start over and build the team from the inside out. They won’t though. Quinn will probably still be here and move Turpin to LB.