What's the difference between Marty Ball and Parcells Ball?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
No sarcasm intended but I was talking to a friend of mine over a fine game of Madden on PS2 (the classic). Anyway, we were talking about Schottenheimer's style of football. He mentioned Martie ball and I asked him what was the difference between his style and Parcell's style other than the fact Parcells won 2 Superbowls playing essentially the same style of football. I'm not a Schottenheimer apologist or anything but it seems like Martie gets a bad rap for running the same style of football that greats like Parcells, GIbbs and Cowher have run for years?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
There's not a difference. Shotty is a good coach, and the "can't win in the playoffs" crap is ridiculous.

They said the same thing about Cowher and Dungy for years ... so did they just magically figure out how to "win the big one" ten years into being a head coach? Of course not. They were just finally on the right team at the right time.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
IMHO there isn't much difference. They both think you can sit on a 3 point lead the entire 2nd half and win, provided your D "doesn't let you down". I prefer "Jimmy-ball" = "Walsh-ball" in which you score so may points in the 1st half, you can play bkups in the 2nd half w/ no fear of losing the game...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CalCBFan;1389273 said:
I prefer "Jimmy-ball" = "Walsh-ball" in which you score so may points in the 1st half, you can play bkups in the 2nd half w/ no fear of losing the game...

I take it you didn't see much of "Jimmy-ball" in Miami.

It was a lot of Kareem Abdul Jabbar getting 25 carries a game at a 3.2 ypc clip.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
InmanRoshi;1389276 said:
I take it you didn't see much of "Jimmy-ball" in Miami.

It was a lot of Kareem Abdul Jabbar getting 25 carries a game at a 3.2 ypc clip.

No no no ..... Jimmy is a genius and if he would have stayed we would have won 15 Sb's in a row ......

Ask VABB.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
martyball is making stupid decisions in critical times in a game. parcellsball is too conservetive whichj also can be critical

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Martyball gets you into the playoffs quite easily, but loses in the first round of the playoffs....although this past year, I can't really blame him for their loss in the playoffs.

Parcells ball BARELY gets you into the playoffs and then you have to play absolutely perfect football in the playoffs and hope for a wide right FG in the final seconds for a ring.

FanofBill

Reaction score
Jimz31;1389320 said:
Martyball gets you into the playoffs quite easily, but loses in the first round of the playoffs....although this past year, I can't really blame him for their loss in the playoffs.

Parcells ball BARELY gets you into the playoffs and then you have to play absolutely perfect football in the playoffs and hope for a wide right FG in the final seconds for a ring.

That's only for Parcells 2nd Super Bowl, the 1st SB, they won by a big margin.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1389269 said:
There's not a difference. Shotty is a good coach, and the "can't win in the playoffs" crap is ridiculous.

They said the same thing about Cowher and Dungy for years ... so did they just magically figure out how to "win the big one" ten years into being a head coach? Of course not. They were just finally on the right team at the right time.

Landry couldn't win the big one either... until he did of course.