When a Cynic Feels Giddy

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Great post, TH!!!

It was also Browning who said "gain is gain, however small". This offseason we indisputably 'gained'..now we get to see just how much ...

I think we will fall short of the brass ring, but as Roger Staubach put it the other night, the Cowboys look like one of those "sneaky" teams this year. Gotta agree.

Watching the young players on D, and observing the entire D learn how to play more mixed fronts, will be exciting.

And of course, seeing JJ, Jason and Roy, et al, take yet the next step just as rewarding.

It's gonna be a thrilling season, imo.

LTN, if I stare at your sig too long it moves ... perhaps I drank too much last night.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
LTN, if I stare at your sig too long it moves ... perhaps I drank too much last night.
As long as the ball isn't moving into Tuna's face, your hang-over probably isn't too bad.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hos, EVERY time I think about this team I have no choice but to be giddy ... everyone should be giddy. We've made a temendous amount of changes for the better. Things like the addition of Aaron Glenn will make those silent impacts that we need and the versatility of our defense is nothing but exciting.

I'm also glad that we still have The Tuna. I've got faith in this man and I like how he keeps people guessing.

On Henson ... I'm not a fan, but he is being put in the same situation that Tom Brady was (I can't believe I'm mentioning the two in the same sentence) - backing up Drew Bledsoe.

I think Bledsoe will make more of a positive impact than people think on both QB's ... that's what these young guys need.

The offensive line is our bread and butter if you ask me ... one of the best in the league. And I've also got faith that we fill the RT spot with someone solid.

That aside though, we've got 4 Pro Bowlers if you include Witten ... and Dan Cambell is back also. This gives us more versatility in the running game. I actually think Julius will be a successful outside runner also ... we just didn't see it last year.

Our line is why I think this team has success ... and I think we're going to see a lot of 2TE sets which will provide Bledsoe the protection he needs and also use a blocking scheme that suits Julius' talents ... that also puts the best 11 players on the field IMO (2TE set).

On defense, the additions at CB are very nice upgrades ... add to the fact that we've added some very nice potential to the front 7 and how can you not be excited about this?

We've made improvements at almost every position on the defense ... and even if we don't start anyone new at FS ... at least it's not getting any worse than last year. We haven't gotten worse at any position IMO. That gets overlooked. And we've done well working under cap constraints.

The talent additions may not even be over at this point ...

There are a lot of things to be giddy about, actually ... and if you want to be a pessimist go right ahead, but my glass is half full.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Last season was over before the season started. VT was lifeless and 41. Our D had no CB, FS and no playmaking ability and Roy was playing 25 yards downfield. It was totally painfull last year.

Bledsoe, Witten and Jones are going to lite up the scoreboard. Rivera replaces Gurode - enough said. Our D is vastly better!

I too am optimistic this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
You could probably do a search about why I think that way ... but I'm not going to discuss it in Hos' thread ...
You can if you wish Ben. It's a free discussion.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You can if you wish Ben. It's a free discussion.

But I'm tired of talking about that ... there are plenty of other things that I haven't already been over 100 times. THE SEASON IS HERE, HOS!!! I'm doing all I can just to sit in a chair. I hate forcing discussion like we do in the offseason. There is actually some real live action going on!!! Plenty to talk about besides our # 3 QB ...

:D

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Last season was over before the season started. VT was lifeless and 41. Our D had no CB, FS and no playmaking ability and Roy was playing 25 yards downfield. It was totally painfull last year.

Bledsoe, Witten and Jones are going to lite up the scoreboard. Rivera replaces Gurode - enough said. Our D is vastly better!

I too am optimistic this year.

:shake:

Can we be optimistical ( I know it's not a word) partners in crime?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
This year, I am a cautious optimist. But I do love the offseason the Cowboys put together from free agency all the way through the draft. I do not think we have had a "smarter" offseason since Jimmy Johnson's tenure. And it all boils down to having a competant head coach in Bill Parcells and a more leniant owner/GM in Jerry Jones who is willing to allow coach Parcells to buy the groceries.

I think this thread is one of the best I have read in a very long time. Everyone contributing had something insightful to say. We do have the best and most informed fans, hands down.

Let Training Camp commense! :cool:

:starspin

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Fletch said:
This year, I am a cautious optimist. But I do love the offseason the Cowboys put together from free agency all the way through the draft. I do not think we have had a "smarter" offseason since Jimmy Johnson's tenure. And it all boils down to having a competant head coach in Bill Parcells and a more leniant owner/GM in Jerry Jones who is willing to allow coach Parcells to buy the groceries.

I think this thread is one of the best I have read in a very long time. Everyone contributing had something insightful to say. We do have the best and most informed fans, hands down.

Let Training Camp commense! :cool:
:starspin
I too am cautiously optimistic. I realize the wheels could easily come off of this bus, but they could just as easily get us down the road.

2004 tempered my enthusiasm and brought me back to reality. I thought 2003 was a fluke but I drank the Kool Aid anyway. I somehow took the bait and believed our personnel was better than my dreads had been.

This time I don't have the same fears. I see a motivated Head Coach, new and better personnel, and a schedule that is favorable for a good season.

I'd like to go all optimist, but I can't. There will be bumps in the road. I think we're much more prepared than 2004.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I too am cautiously optimistic. I realize the wheels could easily come off of this bus, but they could just as easily get us down the road.

2004 tempered my enthusiasm and brought me back to reality. I thought 2003 was a fluke but I drank the Kool Aid anyway. I somehow took the bait and believed our personnel was better than my dreads had been.

This time I don't have the same fears. I see a motivated Head Coach, new and better personnel, and a schedule that is favorable for a good season.

I'd like to go all optimist, but I can't. There will be bumps in the road. I think we're much more prepared than 2004.

You can go back to last year and I said it all along many times ... as soon as we made the trade for Buffalo my opinion was that we were gearing up to compete for 2005.

I know we compete every year right?

OK.

But what I meant is that we built a foundation by the trade with Buffalo ... we were able to get Julius and pick up an extra 1st in the 2005 draft in which we'll have potentially 4 starters - all rookies, but it was made possible by that trade ... and I do understand that we traded out of the 1st and drafted... bold move actually, but a patient one ...

It didn't seem like we were in any hurry last year. And we weren't. That, if any year, was an evaluation year. But we didn't start Henson, so you're wrong, BnA ...

Hear me out here. The reason Buffalo wanted to trade with us was to get Losman ...

Guess what?

Them getting Losman makes who expendable?

You guessed right, Drew Bledsoe ...

This was a planned and calculated 'attack', and I feel much better about this year too... we put ourselves in a much better position to compete. And I never doubted Parcells here. In fact, I've admired his patience.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
You can go back to last year and I said it all along many times ... as soon as we made the trade for Buffalo my opinion was that we were gearing up to compete for 2005.

I know we compete every year right?

OK.

But what I meant is that we built a foundation by the trade with Buffalo ... we were able to get Julius and pick up an extra 1st in the 2005 draft in which we'll have potentially 4 starters - all rookies, but it was made possible by that trade ... and I do understand that we traded out of the 1st and drafted... bold move actually, but a patient one ...

It didn't seem like we were in any hurry last year. And we weren't. That, if any year, was an evaluation year. But we didn't start Henson, so you're wrong, BnA ...

Hear me out here. The reason Buffalo wanted to trade with us was to get Losman ...

Guess what?

Them getting Losman makes who expendable?

You guessed right, Drew Bledsoe ...

This was a planned and calculated 'attack', and I feel much better about this year too... we put ourselves in a much better position to compete. And I never doubted Parcells here. In fact, I've admired his patience.
When Parcells was hired I said his true chances of going all the way would be 2005 and 2006.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
When Parcells was hired I said his true chances of going all the way would be 2005 and 2006.

But who'd a thunk that trade would have made things possible for the potential to have success here?

Spontae

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Spontae...best youngin on the board.......hope you had a great summer.

I did, my friend, although I had to switch to diet Mountain Dew to shave some calories. Hope you and yours had a great summer, too.