When do the Cowboys and Skins get in poison pill battles?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
With Minny and Seattle tossing each others front offices through mud with 'poison pill' laden restricted free agent contracts one has to wonder where Jerry and Little Nap are. I mean can they really miss out on such a plum opp to jab each other in the eye with a contract. Both guys would enever let the other steal their free agents if they could help it but with poison pill provisions no one can help it.

Ok, ok so Jerry and Nap don't have much in RFA to steal this year but they could swap backup LBs.

Scott Shanle is tendered as a 7th rounder. Torrin Tucker as a right of first refusal as is excellent special teamer Keith Davis.

Nappy could sign Davis to a deal that states Davis makes 1 mil signing bonus, 1 mil per year for 4 years then his 5th year is for 3 mil, 6th year for 4 mil and he gets roster bonuses of 3 mil in years 4, 5, 6. ALL of it becomes guaranteed if he plays 6 games or more inside the state of Texas.

Shanle could get a 7 year 30 mil deal similar to Davis but with the provision he has to make the base salary of the highest paid WR on the team. That works for Wash who converts the WRs base to near minimum and pays signing and roster bonuses out to guys like they are tipping lap dancers.

Dallas on the other hand could steal Ade Jimoh and Chris Clemons. They would just turn it around and say those deals become guaranteed if they are not given roster bonuses equal to the average of top 10 roster bonuses handed out by the club. Dallas doesn't hand out enough to make 10 a high number but Wash does.

Right now it's be risky business for Dallas to go that route as Wash doesn't draft well enough (or just enough period) to make it worth stealing their talent but is a fun thing to think about.

:eek:

Duane

Reaction score
Never work JT. Washington has no picks to work with because they trade them away for 2nd tier talent.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
The NFL needs to close the posion pill thing quick...It's a bunch of BS.

If you are to match a contract it should be for exactly what the new team is signing him for...Nothing More.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

What? I think it is fun to see how creative teams can be.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The nfl should close the poison pill,, if you sign a guy to an offer sheet, then he should get the same kind of contract if the team don't match, ie,, if plays x number of games in Washington state,, then the contract becomes guaranteed as well.. make it even.. I mean you could put in there,, "if thanksgiving falls on a thursday, player is to get a 100 million dollar bonus",, no one would match that.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Owners aren't just figuring this tactic out. I seem to recall contract specifics similar to these years back, although I forget what player it was concerning.

I do agree that it seems like dirty pool.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
abersonc said:
What? I think it is fun to see how creative teams can be.

You wouldn't be saying this if someone Got Williams or Witten or Newman that way.

arglebargle

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

If you are to match a contract it should be for exactly what the new team is signing him for...Nothing More.

I really think the Seattle move was partially designed to slap the NFL in the face and say, 'Ok, this is how stupid things can get...' If they are smart, the NFL will step in and put down some guidelines or limits on this. That is, if they want to keep the restricted/transitional categories valid. As it is, Seattle has just shown that ANYONE who wants to can write a poison pill contract that makes it nearly impossible for the original team to match.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
arglebargle said:
I really think the Seattle move was partially designed to slap the NFL in the face and say, 'Ok, this is how stupid things can get...' If they are smart, the NFL will step in and put down some guidelines or limits on this. That is, if they want to keep the restricted/transitional categories valid. As it is, Seattle has just shown that ANYONE who wants to can write a poison pill contract that makes it nearly impossible for the original team to match.

Agreed...Especially when they put something in it like if he plays 5 games in the State of Minnisota or something like that...It's stupid.