When it comes down to it, I wonder if we're any different than third-world countries

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is too political for the Zone, but I consider it a thread about humaneness more than politics.

Just saw this picture at CNN

top.cry.out.jpg

Above it are the big headlnes

ASTRODOME: NO MORE ROOM!

Some of these scenes in New Orleans remind me of the exodus in Rwanda or other places. A bunch of poor folk, stuck in a situation they couldn't control or escape from, just trying to live.

It's really sad.

Makes me wonder how this country will handle California (or the deadlier fault line in the mid-west) when one day, one of those cities finally has a major earthquake. Or the eruption of Mount Rainier in Washington. There are several disasters waiting to happen, and we look just as helpless as the rest of the world.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
We are nation who is continueing to learn how to deal w/ such devestation. I think Katrina took us all by surprise. I know it did me. I dont even live in LA or Miss. You think those folks who lived there would have taken it more seriously. I saw that thing 3-4 hours before it struck on websites across the net. There was NO WAY in Hades I would have stayed. Those pics spoke pure chaos once it hit.

My heart goes out to all the elderly and children and all the misplaced there. They are having a very hard time of it. What to do? You donate monies and hope for the best. You donate time if your in the area. This is different but it is far worse than 911. I think what the Senate did today freeing 10.5 billion for aid will help alot. There are other problems on the ground to. The lawlessness is taking a huge toll. They now have martial law in NO. Thats great. Folks might not like it but in situations such as this it is needed to keep peace and fairness for everyone. Criminals/looters beware.

We are learning to respond. I just hope its in time.

twa

Reaction score
As far as the refugees(I hate that word) they wereredirected to other shelters to prevent overcrowding and the dangers that come with it.

There was a list this morning with 15 sites in Houston still accepting people and of course the other cities are making room also.

We are far from the level of Rawanda

But for perspective ,The size of the area affected is the size of Britain and includes 4 major cities.

Whatever comes Americans WILL OVERCOME.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
One of the most heart-breaking things to date I have seen of this tragedy is the story describing how poor families in Mississippi, warned of the coming storm, couldn't get out of Dodge because they lacked the 40 bucks to fill up the gas tank.

Hurricanes are equal opportunity killers, and altho they hit rich, poor, and middle class locales alike, one thing this tragedy is evoking is the sense of how the poor are so less equipped to escape or survive the devastation. The '3rd world' quality of the story, if any, is about who could not escape, and in such numbers.

Poverty rates in the US are climbing, not shrinking.

I hope after the storm, and it consequences, a good hard look is taken at the reasons why.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Quite honestly, a lot of faith was put into FEMA, as always. Up until now, FEMA had always been very capable in a situation like this (or at least in as many situations we have had NEARLY like this). But for the first time, FEMA just did not come through.

Pity.

jman

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Quite honestly, a lot of faith was put into FEMA, as always. Up until now, FEMA had always been very capable in a situation like this (or at least in as many situations we have had NEARLY like this). But for the first time, FEMA just did not come through.

Pity.

I'm not trying to defend FEMA, but the truth is New Orleans "seemed" to have fared relitivaly well after the hurricane. It was until about 30 hrs later when the levees broke that things went to pot.

It was that delay of the real crisis, that set relief and evacuation efferts in the hole.

But maybe we have learned a valueable leason and to expect the worse to happen and respond to it accordingly. Better to have too much than not enough.