Where Was The Run?

Reaction score
I understand that Buffalo threw some elaborate defensive looks at our offense that threw our running game off the first half of Monday's game, and I applaud Dick Jauron for coming up with some really innovative stuff. However, what I don't understand is why we had no answer for it in the second half.

If Phillips and Garrett hope to have even a prayer in beating the best team in the NFL, they had better come to Irving with more than one battle plan. If they think Buffalo threw a lot at our offense, they 'aint seen nothin' yet. Bill Belicheat will throw everything at Romo and company-including the kitchen sink, bathtub, et.al...and their guys will run it to near perfection.

One thing that really bothered me about Monday night's game, and which I believe was partly responsible for Romo's record night of interceptions, was that the coaches gave up on the run far too soon in the game. We came out the second half down by just a touchdown, and started throwing the ball all over the yard like we had 3 scores to make up. You can't put that kind of pressure on Romo, or any other QB. We've paid enough over the last few years to have a darn good offensive line. We couldn't pick a better time than this Sunday to make them start earning it. These guys are huge, quick, and mean. Go in there & tell them Brushi slapped their momma.

I really don't care what they do, but this Sunday, those behemoths on our side had better play the game of their lives. Because, if we don't run the ball down their throats, our QB might have another record day he would rather forget. If he does, there won't be any last second FG to bail him or us, out.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Cogan;1699629 said:
I understand that Buffalo threw some elaborate defensive looks at our offense that threw our running game off the first half of Monday's game, and I applaud Dick Jauron for coming up with some really innovative stuff. However, what I don't understand is why we had no answer for it in the second half.

If Phillips and Garrett hope to have even a prayer in beating the best team in the NFL, they had better come to Irving with more than one battle plan. If they think Buffalo threw a lot at our offense, they 'aint seen nothin' yet. Bill Belicheat will throw everything at Romo and company-including the kitchen sink, bathtub, et.al...and their guys will run it to near perfection.

One thing that really bothered me about Monday night's game, and which I believe was partly responsible for Romo's record night of interceptions, was that the coaches gave up on the run far too soon in the game. We came out the second half down by just a touchdown, and started throwing the ball all over the yard like we had 3 scores to make up. You can't put that kind of pressure on Romo, or any other QB. We've paid enough over the last few years to have a darn good offensive line. We couldn't pick a better time than this Sunday to make them start earning it. These guys are huge, quick, and mean. Go in there & tell them Brushi slapped their momma.

I really don't care what they do, but this Sunday, those behemoths on our side had better play the game of their lives. Because, if we don't run the ball down their throats, our QB might have another record day he would rather forget. If he does, there won't be any last second FG to bail him or us, out.

20 runs
50 passes

No good.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Our running game has, and is, becoming even more of a concern for me. Against the Pats defense, I would like to see us try to use Barber more earlier in the game, and have Jones come in to spell Barber. While Jones may be faster, I think Barber's leg drive and tackle breaking ability may be better served if we utilize him more often and earlier in this game in particular.

joseephuss

Reaction score
YoMick;1699731 said:
20 runs
50 passes

No good.

It is not as if the plan was to pass that much. Early turnovers that lead to early points increase the need to pass more later on in the game. They had 9 rushing attempts and 16 passing attempts in the first half. Their first possession of the 2nd half had 5 rushes and 8 passes. That brought the totals to a respectable to 14 rushing attempts and 24 passes. They then gave up the big kick off return. They had to pass to get back in the game. It was necessity. Sure you can look at the final totals and everyone will agree that is not what you want. That was the spot they put themselves in during the game due to their mistakes. Sometimes you have to get away from the game plan and do whatever it takes.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
joseephuss;1699763 said:
It is not as if the plan was to pass that much. Early turnovers that lead to early points increase the need to pass more later on in the game. They had 9 rushing attempts and 16 passing attempts in the first half. Their first possession of the 2nd half had 5 rushes and 8 passes. That brought the totals to a respectable to 14 rushing attempts and 24 passes. They then gave up the big kick off return. They had to pass to get back in the game. It was necessity. Sure you can look at the final totals and everyone will agree that is not what you want. That was the spot they put themselves in during the game due to their mistakes. Sometimes you have to get away from the game plan and do whatever it takes.

We were never far behind in points to justify all those pass attempts.

16 pass attempts - 1st half
9 run - 1st half
For the game it averages out to 32 pass attempts - 18 runs
Thats not close to balance

(we ended up 20/50 due to last 2 drives)