CFZ Which Cowboys Are Having Their Breakout Season?

plasticman

Reaction score
We discussed this prior to the beginning of the regular season. We predicted which young Cowboys would have a breakout season.

This excludes rookies, a breakout season is defined as one in which a player's production is rather low in previous season and then they just explode in a particular season.

I think Bland is definitely one. I would also include Ferguson. Tyler Smith? he played well last season but this year he is being called one of the best guards in the league if not the best.

Marquese Bell? Unexpectedly, but yes, I would say so.

Jalen Tolbert? No. A breakout season for a WR would require at least 800 yards, in my opinion.

Sam Williams? Same boat. He's got some productivity but nothing really impressive. I'll change my mind if he can pick up another half dozen sacks by the end of he season.

At first, it looked like Osa would have to be included but he has tapered off.

Who is not having their breakout season? I would have to start with any offensive lineman not named Tyler Smith. Ball and Waletzko went in the opposite direction and are on IR. I would also add Gallimore.

What about Damone Clark? He leads the team in both solo tackles and combined tackles.

In fact, three of the four top tacklers this season were rookies last season, Clark, Bell, and Bland.

So, I think the players having breakout seasons are Tyler Smith, Ferguson, Clark, Bell, and Bland. Both Tolbert and Sam Williams seem to be trending towards a breakout season in 2024. This is almost the entire 2022 draft.

That draft could possibly go down as one of the best in Cowboys history.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We discussed this prior to the beginning of the regular season. We predicted which young Cowboys would have a breakout season.

This excludes rookies, a breakout season is defined as one in which a player's production is rather low in previous season and then they just explode in a particular season.

I think Bland is definitely one. I would also include Ferguson. Tyler Smith? he played well last season but this year he is being called one of the best guards in the league if not the best.

Jalen Tolbert? No. A breakout season for a WR would require at least 800 yards, in my opinion.

Sam Williams? Same boat. He's got some productivity but nothing really impressive. I'll change my mind if he can pick up another half dozen sacks by the end of he season.

Who is not having their breakout season? I would have to start with any offensive lineman not named Tyler Smith. Ball and Waletzko went in the opposite direction and are on IR. I would also add Gallimore.

What about Damone Clark? He leads the team in both solo tackles and combined tackles.

In fact, three of the four top tacklers this season were rookies last season, Clark, Bell, and Bland.

So, I think the players having breakout seasons are Tyler Smith, Ferguson, Clark, Bell, and Bland. Both Tolbert and Sam Williams seem to be trending towards a breakout season in 2024. This is almost the entire 2022 draft.

Bland and Tyler Smith were terrific last season...

Ferguson
Clark
Bell
The Kicker
KaVontae Turpin (on offense)
Chauncey Golston
- Playing more snaps than Gallimore...

Sam Williams on Special Teams.
- Seeing him play gunner is cool.

On the rise:
Juanyeh Thomas
Rico Dowdle
Jalen Brooks

Above Expectations
Tyrus Wheat
- Didn't expect him to make the team.
- Didn't expect him to be active.
- Didn't expect him to play any snaps at DE.

plasticman

Reaction score

Ferguson
Clark
Bell
The Kicker
Chauncey Golston

On the rise:
Juanyeh Thomas
Rico Dowdle
Jalen Brooks

Above Expectations
Tyrus Wheat
Some of those really depend on your definition of "breakout" season.

One way to look at it is this simple question. To what degree did this rookie or 2nd year player improve the following season?

If there was slight to typical improvement then it isn't a breakout, it's basically the level that you would expect.

However, if the player just leapfrogs the typical time table and expected productivity and becomes a valuable contributor on at least the same level as a good NFL starter, then that would be a "breakout".

In other words, is there a wide gap between his productivity the previous season to this current one?

No doubt we all agree that Bland fits this definition. I think we can also agree that Bell and Tyler Smith have done the same. Smith may have been adequate last season but he is starting to get recognition as one of the best in the league.

I know some suggested Bland played great last season but he had one INT in his first 11 games as a rookie. He improved as the season continued but he is on a different level this season. The longest that Bland has been without an INT this season is two games. That is also true for scoring TD's.

I originally included Clark but I might withdraw that. He is playing well but he played well last season towards the end. This is not a bad thing, it's just that it has been at a consistent level, a vast improvement would land him in the Pro Bowl and I don't hear anyone in the media touting his name.

I don't include rookies because there is nothing to break out from. Again, it's not as bad thing when you get a rookie that plays like he's been there for ten seasons. When you have a rookie that plays at a Pro Bowl level it's almost rude to expect a "breakout" season the following year. He already broke out and good luck catching up to him. That was Parsons in 2021 and this season it is Aubrey.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
In case you missed it Mazi had 4 tackles the last 2 games
and Grandpa Schoonmaker scored a TD and doubled his game high catch record to 2
Eye popping numbers from the top 2 picks

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

One way to look at it is this simple question. To what degree did this rookie or 2nd year player improve the following season?

If there was slight to typical improvement then it isn't a breakout, it's basically the level that you would expect.

However, if the player just leapfrogs the typical time table and expected productivity and becomes a valuable contributor on at least the same level as a good NFL starter, then that would be a "breakout".

In other words, is there a wide gap between his productivity the previous season to this current one?

No doubt we all agree that Bland fits this definition. I think we can also agree that Bell and Tyler Smith have done the same. Smith may have been adequate last season but he is starting to get recognition as one of the best in the league.

I know some suggested Bland played great last season but he had one INT in his first 11 games as a rookie. He improved as the season continued but he is on a different level this season. The longest that Bland has been without an INT this season is two games. That is also true for scoring TD's.

I originally included Clark but I might withdraw that. He is playing well but he played well last season towards the end. This is not a bad thing, it's just that it has been at a consistent level, a vast improvement would land him in the Pro Bowl and I don't hear anyone in the media touting his name.

I don't include rookies because there is nothing to break out from. Again, it's not as bad thing when you get a rookie that plays like he's been there for ten seasons. When you have a rookie that plays at a Pro Bowl level it's almost rude to expect a "breakout" season the following year. He already broke out and good luck catching up to him. That was Parsons in 2021 and this season it is Aubrey.
Best post of the thread so far. What exactly does "breakout" mean?

So I'd also rather go with "who's significantly better than last season" or simply exceeded my expectations?

Mike McCarthy (yup)
Bland
Aubrey. Aubrey? Aubrey!!
Ferguson
DLaw
CD (more that he doubled down on the "true " #1 WR)
Dak (yup, see MM)
Bell
Turpin (didn't expect that, my mistake)
Dowdle
And I really like our new Full Back. :)

In no particular order.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Breakouts this year:
  • Brandon Aubrey (most reliable player on the team)
  • Jake Ferguson
  • Kevantae Turpin (a real offensive weapon this yr)
  • Rico Dowdle (has earned more carries)
  • Markquese Bell

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Osa is legimately turning into a game wrecker inside.

DTs aren't always going to put up splash stats, but he is consistently beating his man on run and pass downs. He has turned into a very productive player.

Outside of that, Aubrey, Bell, Ferguson, and Bland all have stepped up their game significantly (or in Aubrey's case, just gotten into the game).

blueblood70

Reaction score

i agree with most of your list but IMO the Sam Williams 6 more sacks? , no i would say 6 sacks total would be his number to be improved or breakout. i mean the rotation is crazy that as he doesn't have a lot of opportunities unless theres an injury to one of the top 3...

i mean #33 Clark , i'm a little on the fence with him. we've seen that story Jaylon racked up a ton of tackles.... he hasn't flashed in my eyes as doing anything big or special. just there similar to JS But maybe Im wrong as don't look for him but that my point he hasnt flashed enough to be called a breakout season...has he been solid, yes but no more impressive than Sam Williams, Williams has flashed with less opportunities...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Osa is legimately turning into a game wrecker inside.

DTs aren't always going to put up splash stats, but he is consistently beating his man on run and pass downs. He has turned into a very productive player.

Outside of that, Aubrey, Bell, Ferguson, and Bland all have stepped up their game significantly (or in Aubrey's case, just gotten into the game).
x2 bro for sure under the radar on OSA ...

Honorable mention Turpin as a WR weapon

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Osa appeared to be having a breakout season, but he’s disappeared just like he did after the first few games of his rookie season.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I agree. Was saying this same thing the other day. 2022 draft was one of the best in history. I'm still holding out hope for the 2023 draft. I personally think it's a class of late bloomers. Guys like Bass, Fehoko, etc. will take a bit. But I personally think Brooks is ready to play now. The only players from 2023 who flopped were Harper, Ridgeway, and Waletzko. If Waletzko ends up hitting, it could be the best draft in decades. The UDFAs put the icing on the cake.

In case you missed it Mazi had 4 tackles the last 2 games
and Grandpa Schoonmaker scored a TD and doubled his game high catch record to 2
Eye popping numbers from the top 2 picks
Dalton Schultz had a slow start to his career, too.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bland had 5 INTs as a rookie.

He played zero snaps on defense in 5 of the first 6 games.

That means 5 INTs in only 11 regular season games played.

Rate scaled to 16 games:
7.3 Bland (rookie season)

Best Season scaled to 16 games:
11 Everson Walls
10.2 Deion
8 Richard Sherman
6 Revis
6 Gilmore
4 Patrick Surtain
1.9 Sauce Gardner

quickccc

Reaction score

Ferguson
Clark
Bell
The Kicker
Chauncey Golston

On the rise:
Juanyeh Thomas
Rico Dowdle
Jalen Brooks

Above Expectations
Tyrus Wheat
Good list and nice rundown.

I'd put TE Jake Ferguson on my list
In just his 2nd year, Fergy has emerged as one of the better TEs in the NFL.

Some here were sobbing that the Cowboys allowed Schultz to walk out as a FA.

And the Cowboys apparently were so concerned and had doubts about Ferguson
as the new featured TE that they invested ( reached?) for a TE as high as the 2nd round.

plasticman

Reaction score
Bland had 5 INTs as a rookie.

He played zero snaps on defense in 5 of the first 6 games.

That means 5 INTs in only 11 regular season games played.

Rate scaled to 16 games:
7.3 Bland (rookie season)

Best Season scaled to 16 games:
11 Everson Walls
10.2 Deion
8 Richard Sherman
6 Revis
6 Gilmore
4 Patrick Surtain
1.9 Sauce Gardner
I'm not debating whether Bland is a great CB for us but I want to be fair about comparing him to others just like you want to.

However, not playing on defense in those first games is part of his rookie record. He didn't play because the Cowboys felt they had somebody better. Bland did not beat out the starter. He was still learning a lot during his rookie season. Who knows, it could be that the coaches misevaluated and Bland should have been out there from the start.

Five INT's as a rookie is nothing to be ashamed of, for sure. Besides Walls, only two other Cowboys had more than 5 INT's their rookie season, Mel Renfro and Michael Downs.

Bland had 5 INT's during a 17 game season so, scaled to 16 games, that would be 4.7. It's not really his INT total that separates his performances this season from his rookie season. Really, his playmaking ability has been the special element of his game this season. This season is not complete so he is going to have many opportunities to increase his numbers and I believe he will.