CFZ Which Franchise Has the Best All Time Winning Percentage?

plasticman

Reaction score
That would be the Green Bay Packers.......today.

However,

Two more Packer losses combined with two more Cowboys victories and the Dallas Cowboys retake the lead they once held before the 2010 season.

Currently, the Packers have won 57.3% of all their regular season games and the Cowboys have won 57.2%

Ironically, the Cowboys lost the lead during that unfortunate 2010 season after game #8.....against the Packers. So, not only did Wade Phillips get fired after that game, but the Dallas Cowboys were no longer the winningest team in the NFL.

You might think.....so what?

I think it's relevant because I deal with people all over the country. When it comes to discussing fandom and the NFL, believe me, there is such a thing as bragging rights. Patriot fans, Steeles fans, Packer fans, Giant fans, you name it. They all have their explanation as to why their team is the best in history.

You might think Patriot fans have the upper hand, they have won the most Super Bowls.. Packer fans say wait just a minute, championships didn't start with Super Bowls, they used to be called NFL championships and the Super Bowl is the current version of that game. The Packers have won 13 NFL championships.

The Steelers say, wait a minute, those older championships had far less competition, there were sometimes as little as 8 teams in the league. They shouldn't be weighted in the same way as winning a championship with 26 to 32 teams in the league. The Steelers are tied with the Patriots for most Super Bowls won at 6. However, they did so in two different time periods, the 70's and the 2000's.

Prior to the the 90's there were larger gaps on winning percentages between the teams. However, free agency and salary caps have created the parity they wanted and teams are now much closer in talent.
The Cowboy winning percentage after 1983 was .64.26%.

The team with the worse record is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who have won 40.3% of their games.

A few teams over the past 25 years have risen to 1st place. For a while it was the Bears, Dolphins and then Raiders. However, the team that held 1st place the longest were the Cleveland Browns. They had built such a strong lead from their first 25 years that it took another few decades of mediocrity to lose 1st place,

Anyway, I just thought it was worth noting. Some of you will agree, some will disagree. That's cool.

I'm hoping the Packers lose one more game and the Cowboys win their next two before facing the Packers after the bye. The majority of people won't even realize payback happened when the Cowboys win but I will.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

However,

Two more Packer losses combined with two more Cowboys victories and the Dallas Cowboys retake the lead they once held before the 2010 season.

Currently, the Packers have won 57.3% of all their regular season games and the Cowboys have won 57.2%

Ironically, the Cowboys lost the lead during that unfortunate 2010 season after game #8.....against the Packers. So, not only did Wade Phillips get fired after that game, but the Dallas Cowboys were no longer the winningest team in the NFL.

I think it's relevant because I deal with people all over the country. When it comes to discussing fandom and the NFL, believe me, there is such a thing as bragging rights. Patriot fans, Steeles fans, Packer fans, Giant fans, you name it. They all have their explanation as to why their team is the best in history.

You might think Patriot fans have the upper hand, they have won the most Super Bowls.. Packer fans say wait just a minute, championships didn't start with Super Bowls, they used to be called NFL championships and the Super Bowl is the current version of that game. The Packers have won 13 NFL championships.

The Steelers say, wait a minute, those older championships had far less competition, there were sometimes as little as 8 teams in the league. They shouldn't be weighted in the same way as winning a championship with 26 to 32 teams in the league. The Steelers are tied with the Patriots for most Super Bowls won at 6. However, they did so in two different time periods, the 70's and the 2000's.

Prior to the the 90's there were larger gaps on winning percentages between the teams. However, free agency and salary caps have created the parity they wanted and teams are now much closer in talent.

The team with the worse record is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who have won 40.3% of their games.

A few teams over the past 25 years have risen to 1st place. For a while it was the Bears, Dolphins and then Raiders. However, the team that held 1st place the longest were the Cleveland Browns. They had built such a strong lead from their first 25 years that it took another few decades of mediocrity to lose 1st place,

Anyway, I just thought it was worth noting. Some of you will agree, some will disagree. That's cool.

I'm hoping the Packers lose one more game and the Cowboys win their next two before facing the Packers after the bye. The majority of people won't even realize payback happened when the Cowboys win but I will.
Now this post is impressive!
Thanks for the research !

Motorola

Reaction score

However,

Green Bay Packers: 101 seasons (1921-2021)__1,401 games; W-L-T = 785-581-38 = .572 winning pct.
Dallas Cowboys: 62 seasons (1960-2021)___947 games; W-L-T = 578-403-6 = .571 winning pct.

The Cowboys will overtake the Packers for the best all-time regular season winning pct. upon culmination of the 2022 NFL season IMO.
Like you, plasticman, I do research on the league's history from time to time.
• That the NFL was concentrated in the northeast and midwest U.S (just like major league baseball) until the 1950's.
• The Steelers were one of the worse franchises record-wise + lack of postseason success their first four decades of existence.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I appreciate the effort put into creating this thread, but 3 measly playoff wins in 26+ years are what fans care about today.

Most Cowboys fans know this team used to be great, which is why the 21st century results frustrate them so much. :facepalm:

Jayinem

Reaction score
I'm surprised it's not the Patriots, but I guess they sucked so long before Brady.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yep. This is the card I pull when I get taunted about not being in the Super Bowl for 26 years.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I appreciate the effort put into creating this thread, but 3 measly playoff wins in 26+ years are what fans care about today.

Most Cowboys fans know this team used to be great, which is why the 21st century results frustrate them so much. :facepalm:
C'mon...there have been legitmatee chances over the past ten years. Get in a game, first...there have been a few ocer about ten years. That or quote the number of
layoffs, Think you are watching the Astros.

Bing

Reaction score
Who cares, since the last time we won a superbowl in 1996 we have been 4-11 in the post season...that's all anyone should care about.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
I'm surprised it's not the Patriots, but I guess they sucked so long before Brady.
Patriots are 3rd overall at .562 in regular season pct. entering the 2022 season.
949 games over 62 seasons (1960-2021) --- they are including their years starting as an AFL team.
W-L-T 529-411-9

plasticman

Reaction score
There are 32 teams in the NFL. They played anywhere from 12 games to 17 games a season. For the sake of making the math a little easier, let's say that the NFL has 32 teams that played 16 games a season for 64 years. In fact, the Cowboy's 64th season will be next year.

We'll use the playoff system most frequently used during that 64 year period which was the system before last season, where 6 teams make the playoffs from each conference. We will treat NFL and AFL championships prior to the merger as if they were conference championships.

In a 64 year period, an "average" team would have a record of 512-512. They will have gone to the playoffs 24 times. They will have reached the divisional round 16 times, the conference championship game 8 times, the Super Bowl 4 times and they will have won 2 Championships during that 64 year period.

During a 63 year period the Cowboys have gone to the playoffs 34 times. They have reached the divisional round 28 times. They have reached the conference championship game 16 times. They have gone to the Super Bowl 8 times. They have 5 championships.

The Dallas Cowboys not only have their share of playoff success. They have some other team's share as well.

Since 1960, the Cowboys first season, no other team has participated in more playoff games. The Cowboys have played in 64, the Steelers 62, the Patriots 59.

The Cowboys have played in 16 conference championship games. They are tied for 2nd place with the Steelers. The 49ers are in 1st place with 17.

You can look at the past 26 years and I get it. It's been a while. However, I can look at the past 63 years, I can look at the Cowboys in their entirety and say that they are one of the top 3 franchises in NFL when it comes to success. You can say that it doesn't matter to you, it's what they have done lately, I'm just talking history.

The game they played today is now history if you want to look at it that way. When you discuss the last 26 years you are discussing history just as much as I am. You are just choosing a specific time period. I am using the period of time that was their entire existence and, despite the incompetence and mismanagement of the current owner, this team is still in the top 10% of the league when it comes to success.

Winning percentage gives us the big picture overall. Having the highest winning percentage is the same thing as saying that Cowboys fans were celebrating victory more frequently than the fans of any other team in NFL history.

The Packers lost today. One more Packer loss combined with a Cowboys victory means out team won at a higher rate than any other NFL team in history.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Aren't the Cowboys number 1 overall if you include playoff games?

Anyway, some other nuggets about Dallas winning percentage:

The Cowboys currently lead the league in having winning records head to head against the most teams.

The Browns and Ravens are the only teams the Cowboys have never had a .500 or better record against at any time (having played at least one game in the head to head series).

By far the worst place to play as a visitor for the Cowboys was Miami's Orange Bowl. They lost three Super Bowls, and overall only ever won one game there which was a Playoff Bowl game against Minnesota.