CowboyChris

Reaction score
Which is a bigger weakness?

not being able to run the ball

or stopping the run?

I still say our inability to run the ball is bigger

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not being able to stop the run, by a long shot. Dallas actually ran the ball OK yesterday at 4.5 YPC, but it didn't impact the game at all. When this team is getting gashed in the run game it's pretty much over, unless the offense plays a flawless game.

ScalperX

Reaction score
They are both important but I would say our inability to run the ball. It makes us a one dimensional team that can't control the clock (which also helps the Defense). This team will go as far as Dak can throw them. That is the problem. If Dak is having an off day (which every QB does), we have to keep slinging the ball around hoping he turns it around because we do not have that playmaker in the backfield that can take some of the load off Dak. It seems like when Dak is off the whole team falls apart (coaches included).

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If we don't stop the run this team has no chance. Yesterday's game looked like it could have been played in the 1920's at least by the Bills. They didn't even try to pass. They just dared the Cowboys to stop them and we couldn't.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They are both important but I would say our inability to run the ball. It makes us a one dimensional team that can't control the clock (which also helps the Defense). This team will go as far as Dak can throw them. That is the problem. If Dak is having an off day (which every QB does), we have to keep slinging the ball around hoping he turns it around because we do not have that playmaker in the backfield that can take some of the load off Dak. It seems like when Dak is off the whole team falls apart (coaches included).
Dak played awful but if we can't stop the run it just doesn't matter. Maybe makes the beatdown look a little better.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Run the ball for sure. That will set up the rest of the offense.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This game hinged on several plays before the whole "We are gonna bludgeon you to death" happened, first dumb untimley penalties on defense ST, another was the missed bomb by Dak... I'm not saying the Cowboys would've won, I'm saying those 4 plays in the first qaurter made the death by run possible..football the game of inches and desicions..its real.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
which a bigger weakness for us? running or stopping the run...thats the question
In 3 games vs PHI and SF, Dallas ran for a total of 268 yards. Detroit has allowed 150 rushing yards just once this season, and has held 9 opponents to under 100 total rush yards.

You’re not going to run on them even if you could. Dak needs to throw the ball well in those games, and you need to stop the run. Running the ball is a luxury at this point. Your ability to stop the run will define your season. It has already nearly lost you the NFCE. It’s how Arizona beat you, it’s how Buffalo beat you, it’s how SF beat you. Miami is gonna be another big test there.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Pollard was getting some yards last night. With the scheme deployed by the Bill's defense, I don't know why the Cowboys were not more patient with it early on before the blow out ensued.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
stopping the run 100%. Our ability to run the ball though is all determined on being ahead in games, and having an effective passing game. We know how we faired with both last night, and against the 9ers

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stopping the run is far and away our biggest problem. You can win games without a great running game but you can’t win crap if you can’t stop the run.

ScalperX

Reaction score
Dak played awful but if we can't stop the run it just doesn't matter. Maybe makes the beatdown look a little better.
Like I said in my initial comment they are both important (ask the 49ers). But personally I would rather have a physical ground game. It sets the tone. It helps control time of possession (which wears out their defense). It gives your defense time to rest. It opens up your pass game. And it's especially nice to have when the weather is crappy. Let's hope we don't go to Philly or 49ers in the playoffs and it's snowing or raining.