CFZ Which units are you most excited about this season? Most worried about?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
My choice… Most excited, Probably the D as a whole, but ESPECIALLY our new fat guys in the middle. Neither Hankins or Mazi here at this time last year. If everyone stays healthy and plays up to potential, this is a mean looking defense. On offense eager to see what the new RBs and WRs units can do now with so much emphasis on speed.

Most worried, probably offensive line depth. Tyron playing the healthy game again. Jerry not budging on Zack. Is there a 40 year old swing vet available again? But after watching our kicker collapse last year, ST is my biggest worry. Every once in a while we’re gifted with a bad kicker year and I hope this isn’t one.

QB - Not much change. Dak trying to overcome the interceptions last year. Romo once had a season like this and came through. No diamond in rough QB backups?

RB - A lot of change with Zeke gone. Pollard gets his first chance to prove he’s the man from go. Malik Davis building on last year and rookie Deuce Vaughn one of the more intriguing late round picks in recent seasons.

TE - 3 young guys ready to take the role given to Dalton Schultz. Rookie not looking good so far but excited to see what Ferguson will do. Playmaker last year.

WR - For sure looking much better than last year. Big 3 are ready. Cooks here, Gallup healthy and CeeDee a star in the making. Hearing great things in TC on most of the rookies and second years. Turpin finally going to be used.

OL - Hopefully they fix this Martin deal But he doesn’t need TC. Look forward to Tyler‘s sophomore campaign. Dude had to do a lot more than normal rookie. Hope they all can say healthy and find some good rhythm this year.

DT - Our first round pick, Hankins in great shape and has a TC with the team now, looking like a unit that can carry its own weight now, and not having to figure out which DEs to move inside.

DE - Elite pass rushing unit. #11 hasn’t had his best year yet. Scary. Sam Williams be fun to watch grow if he stays healthy. Also looking forward to what they’ll do if interior is as tough as I hope it will be.

LB - Veteran MLB holding down the fort. A lot of duds in recent years trying to find some more off-ball talent. Overshown finally the one?

S - Veterans all returning, may have hit ceiling but like many on the D, would think our unit is going to be even better with this many games playing together.

CB - Diggs entering his prime, Blanda great rookie, and playoff clutch veteran Gilmore ready to show he still has it on a good team. Best 1-2-3 in a while if they stay healthy.

ST - Very worried about this unit after reading about our kickers recent outings.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dak can overcome the INT issues. Especially since MM is making changes for what appears to be for the better.

OL, concern about the depth has been an issue for years now. And without Martin. Does not look good. But they seem to be high on a few young guys. Or are they just high. :muttley:

Will be interesting to see Pollard and what he can do. Looks to be fully recovered. and he doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear on him since his 1st 2 season was not used as much, and the last two a bit more. I am concerned about the depth. So we will just have to wait and see how they all do.

WR is much better than last season.

What can we say about the defense other than how exciting they will be to watch.
From signing Gilmore to drafting Mazi. 3rd year under DQ now.
No real concern here, but will be watching that run defense until we feel comfortable in their play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Until the games start it’s hard for me to get excited about any unit. I’m always in a wait-and-see mode. As for concerns RB and OL especially if Zack continues to hold out.

nobody

Reaction score
Most excited about: D-line.
Most concerned with: Tie between O-line, QB (starter and lack of quality backup), and Kicker.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
The defense is going to be so exciting to watch.

the running back group seems so poor, opposing defenses may basically ignore the running game and focus on stopping the passing game.

Once again, we might be unbalanced on offense. Not good.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
My choice… Most excited, Probably the D as a whole, but ESPECIALLY our new fat guys in the middle. Neither Hankins or Mazi here at this time last year. If everyone stays healthy and plays up to potential, this is a mean looking defense. On offense eager to see what the new RBs and WRs units can do now with so much emphasis on speed.

Most worried, probably offensive line depth. Tyron playing the healthy game again. Jerry not budging on Zack. Is there a 40 year old swing vet available again? But after watching our kicker collapse last year, ST is my biggest worry. Every once in a while we’re gifted with a bad kicker year and I hope this isn’t one.

QB - Not much change. Dak trying to overcome the interceptions last year. Romo once had a season like this and came through. No diamond in rough QB backups?

RB - A lot of change with Zeke gone. Pollard gets his first chance to prove he’s the man from go. Malik Davis building on last year and rookie Deuce Vaughn one of the more intriguing late round picks in recent seasons.

TE - 3 young guys ready to take the role given to Dalton Schultz. Rookie not looking good so far but excited to see what Ferguson will do. Playmaker last year.

WR - For sure looking much better than last year. Big 3 are ready. Cooks here, Gallup healthy and CeeDee a star in the making. Hearing great things in TC on most of the rookies and second years. Turpin finally going to be used.

OL - Hopefully they fix this Martin deal But he doesn’t need TC. Look forward to Tyler‘s sophomore campaign. Dude had to do a lot more than normal rookie. Hope they all can say healthy and find some good rhythm this year.

DT - Our first round pick, Hankins in great shape and has a TC with the team now, looking like a unit that can carry its own weight now, and not having to figure out which DEs to move inside.

DE - Elite pass rushing unit. #11 hasn’t had his best year yet. Scary. Sam Williams be fun to watch grow if he stays healthy. Also looking forward to what they’ll do if interior is as tough as I hope it will be.

LB - Veteran MLB holding down the fort. A lot of duds in recent years trying to find some more off-ball talent. Overshown finally the one?

S - Veterans all returning, may have hit ceiling but like many on the D, would think our unit is going to be even better with this many games playing together.

CB - Diggs entering his prime, Blanda great rookie, and playoff clutch veteran Gilmore ready to show he still has it on a good team. Best 1-2-3 in a while if they stay healthy.

ST - Very worried about this unit after reading about our kickers recent outings.
Kicker and OL

plymkr

Reaction score
Excited about everything but the offensive line.

Worried about, obviously, offensive line, kicking and coaching. Offensive line worries me due to depth and Martin holding out. Each day he holds out the more scared I get he’ll sit out the season. No Martin and no success on offense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most excited about: D-line.
Most concerned with: Tie between O-line, QB (starter and lack of quality backup), and Kicker.
A QB that has made the playoffs 4 of 6 years, as that 7th year he was injured. But had the team winning before that.
A QB, just like Romo had defenses that basically sucked until DQ got here. Therefore back to back 12-5 seasons, and looks they will be close to that again.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This teams complete refusal to spend any decent draft capital on Quarterbacks is frankly stunning.

The track record since the Aikman/Walsh draft picks is HORRIFIC.

How many wins was Rush part of last year? Hes proven to be a guy who can step in and win some games.

Who's Mahommes's backup? Allen? Burrows?

Sure, throw out Purdy. Lets see what he does this year.

If you want to replace Dak, cut him or trade him. Suck for a year or two and draft one top 5.

nobody

Reaction score
A QB that has made the playoffs 4 of 6 years, as that 7th year he was injured. But had the team winning before that.
A QB, just like Romo had defenses that basically sucked until DQ got here. Therefore back to back 12-5 seasons, and looks they will be close to that again.
A QB that choked two playoff years in a row. If he had played a little better against SF last time, just a little better, we'd have won.

Dak gets panicky right now. Hopefully booting Moore and changing things fixes him. So yes, until he actually does his job right in the playoffs, he's a concern.

shabazz

Reaction score
Safety position battle will be interesting. This should be the year Marquise Bell makes a big splash with the opportunity to showcase his skills with the current injuries at the position

still questions at RB , TE and of course kicking

JayFord

Reaction score
im not worried about anything other than the contract that says

"the dallas cowboys are contractually obligated to lose in the divisional round"

when does that contract run out? does the team know? theres more rounds than wild card and divisional

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most excited? Answer: Defensive line. It has the potential of consistently holding the point of attack and pushing offensive linemen back into the opposing quarterback's face.

Most worried: Answer: Offensive line. It must jell and communicate in harmony in short order for both passing and rushing attacks to execute steadily week in and week out.